Shark Tank: Poor Premiere Ratings; Cancel It or Keep It?

Shark TankOn Sunday night, ABC aired a new reality competition series. So, how did Shark Tank do? Did it succeed in the ratings or was it eaten alive by the competition?

From The Apprentice’s Mark Burnett, Shark Tank gives budding entrepreneurs the chance to make their dreams come true. To do that, they must convince five tough, multi-millionaires to part with their own hard-earned cash and give them the funding they need to jumpstart their ideas. The five are Robert Herjavec, Kevin O’Leary, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin Harrington, and Daymond John.

But the show’s not as one-sided as it may seem. The business people are looking for solid investments and, once the “sharks” find a project they like, they negotiate to take as big a percentage of the profits as possible. How far is either side willing to go?

Should Shark Tank be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After weeks of promotion, Shark Tank debuted on Sunday, August 9th at 9pm. The premiere attracted an average of just 4.23 million viewers with a low 1.3/4 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The first half-hour was in fourth place for total viewers and the second half-hour rose just a bit to place in third. The entire hour was in fourth place in the all-important demographic and lost a huge chunk of its lead-in audience.

TV show supportIf the show continues to tank like this, it certainly won’t have much of a future on the network. ABC reportedly still has 12 episodes left to air. Six of them are scheduled to run on Sunday nights and then Shark Tank’s set to switch to Tuesday evenings. Unless the numbers get better, it seems unlikely that ABC will keep those plans.

What do you think? Is the show worth watching or should the network throw in the towel and cancel it already?

b beverly hendricks March 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Please do not cancel! this show is so much better than much of the trash on t v now. At least it is good for the brain and inspires people to use their heads instead of what is between their legs. I have a manufacturing business and love watching this show and would be proud to be on this show instead of having to hide my head and hope my friends did not see me. Good Luck and hang in there.

linda March 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm

pleassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse keep the show going!
love the show. It’s the best thing on TV. Whole family enjoys
it. From Oregon, linda

Pat March 17, 2010 at 3:30 am

Great show!

Susan Wilcox March 16, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I love this show. It educates inventors as to what it takes to make their dreams come true. My entire family loves it and I too have my DVR set to record all episodes. You who decide what stays and what goes needs to take this into consideration when counting the numbers.

P. Hagan March 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Sharks is one of only several shows that I really enjoy watching. Don’t put it on in competition with very popular shows. It’s a different and interesting show. Find a place for it and then advertise where it is.

Alyssa March 5, 2010 at 5:41 pm

it’s awesome! please don’t cancel it! i love it!

jay cee February 26, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Keep bringing it. I found this show while scanning channels, and became an avid fan, introducing others of various ages to the show, who also found it surprisingly good. While entertaining it is also informative, educational and inspiring. Realize that most new ideas go to the grave with the person who thought of them but never took action. This show is likely to contribute to innovations being brought to market, not just those on the show, but the many conceived by viewers as well as persons within their social and business circles.
The show itself is a winner, but surprisingly, the marketing has been poor, and the title of the show itself is easy to ignore/dismiss by someone glancing at the nightly TV listings.

Erik Nyborg February 25, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I am an obsessed Inventor and appreciate other great new product ideas. I really like the Shark Tank show. My 10-year old son likes the show. I have programmed my DVR to record the series.
Keep em coming!

Loren (Sam) Samuelson February 24, 2010 at 8:48 am

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: TV viewers and the tools given to them have become more sophisticated over the years. Unfortunately, the TV Ratings Systems being used today have not changed. The people who decide if a TV Show is kept or tanked are still looking only at viewers who watch TV shows live (not recorded on DVR’s like TiVo, etc.). A show like Shark Tank, unfortunately, will probably not be brought back because of the stone age technology currently being used to test if a show is being watched we the viewers. We can write as much as we want about how we all love Shark Tank, and want the show kept on the air, but if the people in charge of these decisions simply look at the statistics gathered by the old Nielson Ratings System, we are going to continue to lose good TV programs like Shark Tank. With that said, keep entering your comments on this site. Hopefully someone out there will hear us and decide to keep Shark Tank on the air. More importantly, maybe they’ll find a better way to determine if a show is popular or not by something other than Nielson TV Ratings. Maybe they should get together with the executives from TiVo to see if there is information they can gather from their TV Viewers about shows that are being recorded today and played back later. Come on guys, start talking to each other… but more important, SAVE SHARK TANK.

Pat February 24, 2010 at 7:54 am

Great show! Please don’t cancel it.

Judy February 24, 2010 at 7:33 am

Finally, a show of substance and it may not be renewed. You have to be kidding! This is the best thing on t.v.! KEEP THIS SHOW and advertise it so people will know about it.

Richard Theobald February 23, 2010 at 11:52 am

I find this to be very educational. Every college guy and gal should watch this show as it depicts some of the real life set backs . A good lesson in reality at a time when we feel we have the world by the tail.

Diane Young February 20, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I love Shark Tank!! Please keep iton DON”T CANCEL

If it is cancelled when can it be seen

C Collins February 19, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Please stay on, very good show

jann February 17, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I love it. I think it should be used in business schools. Very realistic and the questions every entrepreneur should consider before moving ahead.