Shark Tank: ABC Show Not Cancelled, Coming Back for More Episodes

Shark Tank renewedThough ABC’s reality series Shark Tank hasn’t been doing big business in the ratings, the network is apparently happy enough with the ratings to want additional installments.

Each episode of Shark Tank spotlights entrepreneurs and inventors who are looking for capitol to help fuel their dreams. They pitch their ideas to successful business people Robert Herjavec, Kevin O’Leary, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin Harrington, and Daymond John, otherwise known as “the Sharks.” If they’re interested, the Sharks offer to invest their own money but typically want a bigger piece of the pie than the inventor has in mind.

The series is based on a UK program called Dragons’ Den and the first of 10 episodes premiered on ABC on August 9th. The ratings weren’t anything to crow about during the summer and were expected to drop even lower opposite new fall programming. Surprisingly, the numbers have actually started to rise in the past few weeks. Though they’re still quite low, would that be enough for the network to invest in more episodes?

A couple days ago, Harrington encouraged fans to ask ABC to keep the show going. After wondering what she’d do on Tuesday nights now that the show was off the air, Corcoran wrote that a second season was still under consideration by the network.

While ABC has yet to make an official announcement, two of the Sharks themselves spilled the info this weekend. Herjavec broke the news late yesterday and wrote, “Great news – ABC has ordered more episodes of Shark Tank !!!! No air date yet – but it’s coming.”

TV show supportJohn confirmed the news but cautioned that it was not a full season pickup. He wrote, “great news! but 5 [more episodes] is not a full season, we have to turn it up 4 them to make it a full season.” He later said that he didn’t know the airdate either and suggested they wouldn’t air at least until 2010.

UPDATE: ABC later clarified that two additional episodes would be created out of existing footage. They will be combined with three leftover installments and will be aired at a later date. There’s still no decision on a second season.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Shark Tank is coming back, at least for a little while?

C. Smith September 22, 2011 at 11:50 pm

This show needs to come back. I just re-watched some old episodes. A lot of people are waiting and searching.

Bobby Gailey October 1, 2011 at 6:56 am

This is a great show ,why is it every time abc get a program that has a “REAL” meaning. Iam talking in to days world,endes up pulling it,sometime thay need to cater to the people with a “REAL BRAIN”?

John Keenan April 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Still using that maddening format of going to commercial just as the decision for that segement is to be made. What an insult to viewers, what an abusive attitude on your part.
I am glad I use my VCR to skip the adds. Tell your sponsors to use the Canadian format, finish a segment first, your viewership will increase. You have abetter show content this year so make further improvements, finish a segment first, don’t be so abusive towards your customers, the audience.

Marion Key March 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Please bring this show back,it is very inspiring to me. Oh and I LOVE Daymond John.

Ginger February 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm

BRING BACK THE SHARKS!!!! My family LOVES the show!!!!!

Janet December 14, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Shark Tank needs to be picked up for a second season…I need to be on the show.

Peter November 30, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Great show, it gives some of us with ideas on what needs to be done to be successful or least have a shot at success, not to mention the entertainment value that comes from some wild ideas and people

Maryann November 25, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Please get this show back on the air – I was just watching tv and wondering where the good shows are – googled ‘what happened to shark tank’ and found out I’m not the only one that wants to see it again. Get it going!!!!!!

rusty stewart October 30, 2010 at 12:48 am

bring it back, what a great show!!!!

DarleneWagner October 12, 2010 at 11:48 am

Please bring back this show. I would actually like to become contestant.

Heirloom Country Farms September 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm

It definitely needs to stay on the air! It’s one of the best shows out there- “This IS the American Dream, brought to you by ABC” should be the byline…(I’ll take all royalty checks submitted to my farm, please) LOL

jennifer lennon September 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm

i believe this show motivates people to go for the dreams in life and nothing is impossible it has even inspired my family to invent something as family so we can make money on our own because with today economy we need something extra

Valerie Corbel September 10, 2010 at 9:17 am

PLEASE PLEASE BRING BACK THIS SHOW. IT WAS MOST LOVED AND CERTAINLY ENTERTAINING.

PABLO LAZARO August 31, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I RARELY WASTE MY TIME WATCHING TV AND THEN SHARK TANK WAS CREATED, I THOUGH WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! I GAINED WONDERFUL INSIGHT ON HOW AND WHAT I SHOULD DO IN MY PERSONAL BUSINESS. AND I NOW HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING ON HOW ITS LIKE WHEN DEALING WITH THE BIG DOGS.

THIS SHOW SHOULD NOT BE CANCELLED. IF YOU WANT TO HEIGHTEN THE RATINGS, I HAVE WONDERFUL IDEAS THAT WILL SEND THE RATING THROUGH THE ROOFTOPS.

I PERSONALLY LIKE THE FORMAT BECAUSE I AM NOT AN AVID TV WATCHER AND I DON’T NEED SENSATIONALISM TO WATCH A PROGRAM. BUT THE SHOW HAS A GREAT ARENA FOR SENSATIONALISM, WHICH WOULD INCREASE RATINGS. ONE OF MY MANY SUGGESTIONS IS BY LOOKING INTO HOW MONEY MAKES OR BREAKS SOMEONE’S LIFE. CONTACT ME FOR FURTHER TV SHOW IDEAS :)

PABLO

Steve Coates August 29, 2010 at 10:19 am

I can’t wait for new episodes. I continue to watch the shows I missed on youtube. Hopefully they renew for multiple seasons.

Ken Hudson August 21, 2010 at 1:14 pm

That show needs to be renewed for 5 more seasons!
I gives great insight to those who would like to be business owners.

Alain Bernier August 22, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I agree, with is wrong with ABC, they only show I am interested in. Can wait for every week episode, at work, we talk about it all the time, hello, wake up ABC