Smash: Cancelled? NBC Drama Sent to Saturdays

Smash canceledSmash has been sent packing. The musical drama will finish its season on Saturday nights. While the peacock network hasn’t said that the show’s been cancelled, there’s no way they’re bringing it back for a third season.

Smash follows a cast and production team in New York as they try to mount a new Broadway musical. This season, the ensemble cast includes Debra Messing, Christian Borle, Katharine McPhee, Jack Davenport, Megan Hilty, Anjelica Huston, Leslie Odom Jr., Jeremy Jordan, Krysta Rodriguez, and Andy Mientus.

Last season, Smash was a moderate success for NBC, thanks in part to the strong lead-in support from The Voice. It averaged a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.74 million total viewers.

This season, Smash has really suffered without the reality competition’s support. The six episodes that have aired thus far have averaged a mere 1.0 in the demo with 3.48 million.

Other than Fashion Star on Friday nights, Smash is currently NBC’s lowest-rated series.

While there’s no way NBC will be making a third season, there is positivenews. NBC appears to be commited to letting the remaining 11 episodes air. Smash will start running on Saturday nights on April 6th, at 9pm.

What do you think? Are you sad about Smash’s fate? Do you like the show this season?

Anonymous April 7, 2013 at 11:44 am

I thought this was much better than Glee and am very disappointed it is getting cancelled.

Martha R April 7, 2013 at 11:01 am

The show was great the first season, why fix it when it wasn’t broken???the new love interest of Karen, exudes a hateful aura ,you guys cut the bartender mobster love interest of the producer which kept the show interesting and unexpected, why end the feud of Karen and Ivy. and now there is two shows productions and Derek gone from Bombshell?? no wonder the show is having problems. stop messing around and bring my favorite show to a decent time slot. Keep it fresh Do Not destroy it.

Party Roddy April 7, 2013 at 12:12 am

I think it is a real shame that smash got canceled . It was the best show on TV. They should of left it on Monday nights. Everytime there is a good show it gets canceled . Plus I think many people DVR the show because it was on so late.

Anonymous April 8, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Please do not cancel Smash

smashlover April 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm

What a shame, it is such a great show! and the acting is terrific! PLEASE DON’T CANCEL IT!!!!

jane elliot April 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Smash is soooooooooo bad this season. So predictable. Who would ever believe Karen would leave “Bombshell” to join the two little twerps who are also the most annoying people on tv. Do they think we are all idiots? So long Smash. You ruined a good thing.

Anonymous April 4, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Noooooo! Do not cancel this show! It is the only show I actually watch on NBC

jenna palmer April 4, 2013 at 7:00 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW. SMASH offers creative writing, directing, acting and singing! Not every tv watcher is of the MTV mind set or of one demographic. If cancelled will I see yet another facaca reality show? If you can keep Donald Trump on the air surely you can figure out how to keep this GOOD show on tv. Come on NBC execs…

Dianne April 4, 2013 at 12:13 am

Please do not cancel this show. My husband and I love it.

Anonymous April 3, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I really liked Smash last season and found the mechanics of how to get a show to Broadway very interesting. I’m not sure what they did this season, but it’s just not as good. I hate the new love interest for Karen…. What’s up with the two new guys? Why were they even added? They have really messed up the show this season.

Carole April 3, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Try promoting it NBC
It is called advertising your own shows!
Smash is So Good & nicely different!
It deserves your own attention!

Wgflg April 3, 2013 at 11:57 am

Please don’t cancel smash. It has gotton better and entertaining. It is a shame if you do.

Janelle Moran April 2, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Can’t believe it. This always happens, my very favorite show banished!! NBC has list their minds by not keeping this fantastic show. I would even go see the actual bombshell musical if it played on broadway! All the characters are great and the plot is fantastic. I am pleading for another season!!!

Mike Pizzini April 2, 2013 at 10:55 am

Smash is so good this season, so much better then last year. The music is fantastic, the show has named actors. They can act and they can sing. Even the story line has so teeth in it. I would love to see a season three. Thanks

DD April 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I have never been so compelled to voice my support for the most entertaining show on currently on television — SMASH–. It is an atrocity that the ratings are so low. I must appreciate different entertainment, certainly not appreciating or viewing non-humorous comedy, reality TV, and the murder/investigative..boring,boring, non-intriguing……..television. DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!

David Johnson April 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Do NOT cancel this show. It is one of the few bright lights currently on TV. The cast is excellent and the music is superb. Try it for just one more season, but this time with a better lead-in.