Smash: Cancelled? NBC Drama Sent to Saturdays

Smash canceledSmash has been sent packing. The musical drama will finish its season on Saturday nights. While the peacock network hasn’t said that the show’s been cancelled, there’s no way they’re bringing it back for a third season.

Smash follows a cast and production team in New York as they try to mount a new Broadway musical. This season, the ensemble cast includes Debra Messing, Christian Borle, Katharine McPhee, Jack Davenport, Megan Hilty, Anjelica Huston, Leslie Odom Jr., Jeremy Jordan, Krysta Rodriguez, and Andy Mientus.

Last season, Smash was a moderate success for NBC, thanks in part to the strong lead-in support from The Voice. It averaged a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.74 million total viewers.

This season, Smash has really suffered without the reality competition’s support. The six episodes that have aired thus far have averaged a mere 1.0 in the demo with 3.48 million.

Other than Fashion Star on Friday nights, Smash is currently NBC’s lowest-rated series.

While there’s no way NBC will be making a third season, there is positivenews. NBC appears to be commited to letting the remaining 11 episodes air. Smash will start running on Saturday nights on April 6th, at 9pm.

What do you think? Are you sad about Smash’s fate? Do you like the show this season?

Love Smash April 16, 2013 at 6:29 am

I’m so disappointed by the lack of support the network has given Smash. It’s a great show. As soon as I heard it was moving to Saturdays, I figured it had no future. If it is being cancelled, I hope they are given enough notice to end the show properly. I wish they’d renew it though.

Holly April 15, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Very disappointed to see this show go. I thought the concept was great. I agree that the turn that the script took for season two was a little hokey. While I like the chemistry between Karen and Jimmy, some of the songs for the “new show” are really dumbed down for a younger audience. Not sure if that’s what they were trying to do or not, but I really enjoy the show. And I enjoy a show that supports music and healthy singing. Shows like Glee and others just give kids a bad representation of what real singing is and what the life of a performer looks like. Smash is a good presentation of that. With that being said, I really don’t want it to go. I wish that NBC would keep it on. Very disappointed that it’s going to be cancelled.

Hil April 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Please don’t cancel Smash!

DW April 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I hope this show isn’t cancelled. It would be a shame if it was. This show is refreshing, so much better than Glee. If this show is cancelled, Glee needs to be cancelled as well. SMH. :(

Karan M April 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

I think the ratings and viewers are so low because NBC isn’t counting the minions of people DVRing smash and watching it online… Most people I know who watch smash do so after the original air date…

Tana April 14, 2013 at 12:07 pm

If you get rid of the bad. Kid with Karen and get back on track with Bombshell only, it makes it more of a story where the audience connects with the characters. This season, too many sudden out of the blue stars appear with forced short stories that come and go without transitions. too many characters zapped the heartful connections. Julia is way too busy doing too many things to actually allow the audience to connect with any of her roles! Yet last season she was amazing! And having her partner become a director was just wrong!!! It was all too forced with too many characters and subplots galore! It could be good again

Michelle Wagner April 14, 2013 at 12:42 am

How come unless there is blood or some sort of violence it is so hard for a show to stay… What is wrong with our values??

Mickey April 13, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I Loved watching Smash every week . It’s the first show I enjoyed watching faithfully
And now it is going off th air I am really upset to hear that.

peter April 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I DVR smash every week…its something I actually look forward to. TV now a days sucks. I hope they give it more time…its a shame to let such a good show go

Judy April 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Loved the show.. it has gone a little off track. But would love tosee the chemistry return and continue the show.

Bigeeta Jones April 9, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I love Smash in general but it does seem to have taken a not so smooth turn. I do love the intro of the new show, Hit List. Jeremy Jordan has an amazing voice that brings a cool, new vocal dynamic to complement Karen’s solid presence. And I do like his character’s competing for Karen w/Derek’s sleazy director. However, the plotline with Julia now that she’s single, does seem a bit forced. But I will keep watching this show no matter what happens. Because, as a former stage performer, I still revel in the anticipation of opening a show; it’s still worth following. It saddens me that there will be no third season.

unhappy viewer April 8, 2013 at 9:52 pm

SMASH is HORRIBLE this year. Half Backend scripts that are either not finished or change before us mid-episode. TOO BAD. I LOVE THE SHOW and Last year was sooooo good. This year sucks…badly

Linda April 7, 2013 at 9:22 pm

What a shame! As a huge fan of Broadway, it was so interesting to see the “behind the scenes” action on getting a show to the stage!! The talent on the show is amazing and the turn of the storyline this year is just getting in full swing. I wish NBC would give this show a little more time to build a real following of viewers, give it an earlier time slot, and PROMOTE the show!!!!!

Donna Aaron April 7, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Wouldn’t you know. I only watch Revenge and Smash and now Smash isn’t going to make it. What do people see in reality shows? And other junk on TV??!!!
Smash has terrific dancing AND singing!
I guess I should be grateful NBC will still be airing the last 11 episodes!
Hope they don’t change their mind!!

Teri April 7, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Please give it a chance….needs some adjustment in the writing for the Season 2. Needs to focus more on the Broadway musical…Less focus on concerns about attracting a younger audience. Come on….everything doesn’t have to be for the younger “reality TV” audience. How about those of us who enjoy drama with a musical theme