Smash: Katharine McPhee on the NBC Cancellation

Cancelled SmashPrior to NBC’s official cancellation of Smash, we all knew the TV show was doomed — even star Katharine McPhee. She spoke to THR a couple weeks ago and said, “Sure, I wish that it could have five more seasons, but we had two great seasons and all I can say is I loved every moment of it… I loved getting to the set, I loved the people, I loved my crew. We did amazing things on the show in two years.”

She went on to say, “With this business, you can never predict what people are going to like or love or hate… All I know is that when the show started and people were so excited about the pilot, I was excited to finally be a part of something that could showcase me. Everyone has perceptions about what you’re capable of and what you can do and this show was a huge gift.”

Following the cancellation, McPhee tweeted, “Love you all! Your passion is so heartwarming! Life is about chapters and the relationships you make along the way. Next chapter! Exciting.”

A new episode of Smash airs tonight on NBC. Then, the two-hour series finale is slated to air next Sunday night, starting at 9pm.

What do you think? Do you plan on watching the final episodes of Smash? Did you like McPhee’s work on the show?

40 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. MF says

Loved Smash. Great show. Hoping they will change their minds and not cancel it.
    Actors are so talented. It was nice to get a little bit of broadway in your living room.
    It will be a real shame if this show does not continue.

2. Norm says

It almost seems inevitable that the moment something great like the first season of SMASH comes along, someone has to gum up the works. NBC outdid itself in “gumming” by changing its creative genius, Teresa Rebeck, for a significantly lesser individual, moving the night of the show to a Saturday, and then making a drastic departure from the truly great Broadway style of the first season (you know, when you could hum some of the music at the end of that night’s show?!) to a “beat generation” version of words, lyrics and drumming that were neither hummable nor memorable nor worthy of either. Let me be Your Star, Second Hand White Baby Grand, History is Made at Night of the first season were followed by what? What from the second season can anyone remember? The cast was terrific, the plot was good enough, even in the second season, the first season’s music was truly worthy of Broadway, but in the end, NBC managed to completely screw up the only good thing that’s come over their airwaves in centuries. I hear they’ll be bringing out a whole big bunch of new shows next season. Bet I won’t be the only one NOT watching a whole big bunch of new NBC shows.

3. Carol says

I am really disappointed in NBC. I absolutely loved this show. If I couldn’t watch it live, I would DVR it. It was one of the most entertaining shows on TV in a long, long time. So much talent!!!! Great music! Great acting. I do not watch many other shows on NBC. Looks like I will be watching one less, and maybe none on NBC now!

4. Cindy says

Yes. I loved this show. I loved the stories. I loved the characters. Therefore, I will not be watching any new NBC shows in the future. It is not worth getting emotionally invested because the moment you do, NBC cancels the show. I will encourage my friends and family members to avoid new NBC shows as well. As I said, it is just not worth it.

5. jan taylor says

NBC is making a mistake cancelling this one!!! Such a great show with such an original story. I loved every episode and will be very sad to see it end.

6. Libby says

How can you cancel this show??? Amazing music, great cast, chemistry between the characters- what’s the problem? This was such an original concept for a show. Please uncancel it!

7. Karen says

Very disappointed with the cancellation. I loved the music and the beautiful presentation. Yes some of the characters and plots had ugly undertones but I think people can make similar mistakes so I think it was honest Will miss it but will get DVD Series.

8. Karen says

I am deeply disappointed to see this show on TV cancelled. It was a show full of music and wonderful for a family to watch. I’m sick to death of avoiding reality shows, apprentice with Donald A-hole Trump…I loved Smash, the music and the excitement of the show. I don’t know what the heck the criteria is for a good show, but surely you could have kept this one, move it to another day, as it is now, I’m barely finding anything to watch at all, almost nothing in prime time and family stuff is almost non=existant. I’m deep sorry to see this wonderful, pleasant show being cancelled. I wish you’d reconsider.