Smash: NBC Drama Officially Cancelled Now

Smash canceled by NBCNBC has confirmed that their musical drama Smash has been officially cancelled. There won’t be a third season.

The news certainly doesn’t come as a surprise. Everyone but the most optimistic viewers assumed that the series was already done.

Smash premiered very well last season when it followed The Voice. Despite the strong lead-in, the ratings declined as the first season wore on.

NBC renewed it anyway with an order for 18 installments. They no doubt regretted that move when season two debuted to poor numbers. The ratings got worse and they chose to burn off the remaining episodes on Saturday nights, rather than simply pull the show off the air.

The last two episodes of Smash are scheduled to air on Sunday, May 26th. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall soon enough and wrapped up the ongoing storylines.

What do you think? Did you like Smash? Are you sorry that the series was cancelled?

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 9:00 am

Lifetime please pick up this series so we can continue watching!

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 8:58 am

NBC what are you thinking, you need to give this show another chance. The show wasn’t promoted enough. Some people are tired of all the garbage on tv. There are too many reality shows! Entertainment is about losing yourself in someone else’s story which Smash did so well. The music was excellent and the story lines were just getting interesting. NBC you really didn’t give this series a fair shake. Lifetime please pick this series up so Smash fans can continue enjoying a great show.

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 8:48 am

Don’t the networks realize there is more to entertainment than reality tv. We watch tv to escape reality and to get lost in someone else’s story. This show was so entertaining and the music was awesome. Another network needs to pick it up and give it a good time slot. How about you Lifetime?

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 8:47 am

The singing and dancing…..great. The writing….terrible. The match up between characters….totally unbelievable . I guess they got what they deserved. Too bad!

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 7:08 am

Very sad about the news. I loved the voices and the plot line. I would definitely go see “Hit List” if it were a real show!

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 5:14 am

This cancellation is ridiculous. It’s such a unique tv series, some are utter rubbish and still go on for never ending seasons. I think this is one HUGE mistake. And many viewers will surely be sad about it.

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 1:47 am

Can’t believe my favorite show ever is cancelled. Depressing to know that there is only one more episode ever. So upset.

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 1:44 am

Can’t believe my favorite show is being cancelled. Depressing to know there’s only going to be one more episode ever.

Kimberly May 11, 2013 at 11:39 pm

What’s wrong with people? If someone isn’t being kidnapped, tortured or killed, it’s not considered entertainment worth watching. I found Smash to be a breath of fresh air. I thought season 1 was fantastic and couldn’t wait to see the next weeks episode. Season 2 was long awaited for,and yes I have to admit, a bit disappointing (but still worth watching). I think the transistion of Katherine McPhee’s character and the switch from Bombshell to Hit List was a bit abrupt and unbelievable. It could have definitely been written better to keep the audiance more engaged in her character as well as the addition of the new storyline. I get that the idea behind the Hit List Storyline was to bring a younger audience to the table. I feel that if given a chance (in season 3) the addtional storyline would have brought in a younger viewing audience, which would ultimately boost up the shows popularity as well as the ratings.

If NBC isn’t interested in renewing Smash for another season, then another network should pick it up and give it a chance to become the show that I know it can be.

There are plenty of people out there that enjoy live theater that don’t have the opportunity to attend live productions. Smash gives them the opportunity to put themself there in the moment with its great theatrical production numbers. For anyone with aspirations of becoming a stage peformer Smash gives them a glimpse of the hard work and dedication that it takes to make it in the entertainment industry. Therefore, it is not only entertaining it’s also educational.

The cast are all so extremely talented. I have not heard a musical number yet that I did not thoroughly enjoy. The musical talent of Katherine McPhee, Megan Hilty, Jeremy Jordan and the rest of the cast is truely unbelievable. Again, I truly hope that if NBC won’t give SMASH a secod chance then another network should pick it up , promote it like it should be promoted, and show NBC what they missed out on. There is enough crap out there on television right now that a wholesome show that the entire family, young and old, can sit down and watch together is desperately needed, and SMASH is just that show.

Please someone KEEP SMASH LIVE!

No more NBC May 11, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Clearly NBC does not have the talent to have such a great show on their Network.
Once you like a series you can bet on that being cancelled. Like, Anonymous, I bet a cable network will pick this series up and you can bet I will be watching it and not NBC. Shame on you………………………………………………………………

Jimmy Mc May 11, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Really loved the show! So sorry to hear that it will not be around for a third season. The cast was excellent. Great blend and wonderful inside peek at the working of Broadway.

Anonymous May 11, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Why have a TV. Shows without violence every 2 seconds or stupidity don’t stand a chance anymore.

Wondering May 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I really wonder how many of us watched the shows on our iPads at night, in bed, because the rest of life is so hectic? It’s my understanding that online viewing is not part of the “ratings” system and it should be. It’s a archaic of the networks to ignore this form of media. I really looked forward to this program for an evening curled up all cozy and relaxed. I stopped watching network TV years ago with the advent of all the reality shows (ignorant programs with no acting required, and the excessive violence, which I get my fill of from the news). Now we get a series that offers music, drama, romance, and yes, some violence and it gets cancelled. Why? I thought Katherine and Megan both acted well, as did most of the rest of the cast, and the storylines were great. I could’ve done without the juvenile Jimmy bit–but was hoping that would turn into something more mature quickly. I guess we’ll never know.

Sad to see you go Smash! Boo to NBC.

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 5:15 am

Agree totally. Shame on NBC.

Karina May 11, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Very disappointed on Smash cancellation. No more reallity crap please. This was a great show and I was really hopping to be able to watch season 3. Well done nbc…

Anonymous May 11, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Disappointed, but then again, network television has been going downhill for some time. What is one more cancellation of a show that has good writing, integrity and a following of mature adults who were sick of being force fed reality television… Maybe a cable network will have the vision NBC clearly does not.