Smash: NBC Drama Officially Cancelled Now

Smash canceled by NBCNBC has confirmed that their musical drama Smash has been officially cancelled. There won’t be a third season.

The news certainly doesn’t come as a surprise. Everyone but the most optimistic viewers assumed that the series was already done.

Smash premiered very well last season when it followed The Voice. Despite the strong lead-in, the ratings declined as the first season wore on.

NBC renewed it anyway with an order for 18 installments. They no doubt regretted that move when season two debuted to poor numbers. The ratings got worse and they chose to burn off the remaining episodes on Saturday nights, rather than simply pull the show off the air.

The last two episodes of Smash are scheduled to air on Sunday, May 26th. Hopefully the producers saw the writing on the wall soon enough and wrapped up the ongoing storylines.

What do you think? Did you like Smash? Are you sorry that the series was cancelled?

Steve May 20, 2013 at 11:59 pm

NBC,Not a good move cancelling Smash! The quality of the actor’s, the music were absolutely awesome. The storylines were awesome. Yes there may have been some slow portions. However, the discussion should have been with the writer’s. You didn’t have to cancel the show.The overall premise of the show was interesting and worth keeping our attention. And we loved it and still do. Yes, I watch Nashville cause I live here. Smash gave us a look at the Broadway Show life. It was not another reality show to select another one hit wonder want to be. Please re consider.

Rhonda May 20, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I hate to see it cancelled – I have faithfully watched EVERY episode. Love the music, the voices, the ‘family’ that theatre is. Love that things were more real – that some people kept their dream and didn’t make it completely give up on who they really are – and that some people just can’t help needing to walk over or on others – but there are those who don’t succumb! Was Kyle going to be killed regardless of whether the show stayed or was cancelled? Hard to believe that the show’s ratings weren’t as expected – could there be something wrong with the statistics? Could it be that some shows are just needed because they are good – regardless of how many people watch them? Would love to see a change of heart.

kathy May 20, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I am so upset that Smash is cancelled! I barely watch TV anymore because of all the lousy reality shows. I LOVE this show..the talent is amazing. BOO NBC!!

Meechnipp May 20, 2013 at 9:22 am

The writting was on the wall for this show when they moved it (yet again) to Saturday Nights (alright for fighting but not so good for struggling t.v. show). Waiting until February for the second season was way too long. Maybe they should have left it on Bravo like the Network had originally intended. My vote is to move the show to Bravo to keep this show going. I would watch or at least PVR it.

Anonymous May 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Ditto

Donna May 19, 2013 at 7:58 pm

So sorry to see Smash leave. I looked forward to this very entertaining show every week. Loved the dancing and singing, and the soap opera. Hope they can bring it back!

Cheryl May 18, 2013 at 10:30 pm

If they would leave it on Sunday or Tuesday not Saturday it would have better ratings. Moving it around makes it hard to know when to watch. Love love this show.

Sandy May 18, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I just started watching Smash a couple episodes into Season 2. I love it! It’s great to see a series well written, and with such a talented cast. To me, it felt like watching a Broadway show in my living room. It is just a shame to see a show about the arts being canceled, and for what? To make an opening for another reality show? I know that it didn’t help that the bounced around the days and times it was being aired. I would have had no idea the last episode was moved from Saturday to Sunday if I didn’t look at TV Guide listings, A great show, unlike an other on TV, will be greatly missed! If anyone has a site to “recruit” the show back, pleaee send me the link.

Jerry C May 15, 2013 at 11:43 am

I LOVE<LOVE<LOVE this show and the cast..This is a big mistake taking it off the air. NBC is having problems and this is a good example why. I will truly miss this show.

Adrienne May 14, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Will miss the show!!!!!!! To bad it’s been cancel. Though it was refreshing, thank you for the short live serie.

R. J May 14, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Loved the Show!!! Loved the cast! I looked forwared to the show every week!!!! I would watch this show rather then a reality show… any day of the week.

Kathy May 14, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I thought SMASH was a great show with a creative mix of characters . The great singing was a bonus. Will miss it – really looked forward to this show each week.

chris barrett May 14, 2013 at 9:58 am

I thought the show was smart and entertaining… the quality of acting and singing was remarkable for tv. It was a wonderful change from the slice and dice and shoot-em up shows that flood the screens each night. Perhaps the show was ahead of its time… It will be missed…

Kari May 14, 2013 at 6:44 am

Smash was a great show with a very talanted cast. I’m truly sorry to see it go.

Liff May 14, 2013 at 1:25 am

I loved seeing theater actors work with stars known for TV or film. The guest stars were always interesting: Uma Thurman, Jennifer Hudson, Bernadette Peters. Sometimes it takes a while for a show to catch on, and shoving it over to Saturday night in Season 2 was no way to draw in the crowds. How can such a smart show come from such a poorly run network? So sorry to see you go…

Sheryl May 13, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Smash was given a lousy time slot this season and it was too long between the two seasons. It should have competed against the fall premieres and would have kept it’s following.