Smash: Ratings for the 2011-12 Season

Smash ratingsHere are the updated Smash TV show ratings. In the series, a group of talented and flawed New York artists come together to create a Broadway musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe. The first season of Smash typically airs Monday nights at 10pm on the NBC network.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the 2011-12 season, the best way to tell if Smash is going to be cancelled or renewed for season two. Check out our NBC ratings report card to see how this show’s numbers compare with the others on the network.

Episode 01-15: Monday, 05/14/12
1.8 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 5.96 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.27 in the demo with 6.74 million.
Demo average rank: #2 of 20 scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 01-14: Monday, 05/07/12
1.8 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 5.72 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.30 in the demo with 6.80 million.

Episode 01-13: Monday, 04/30/12
1.8 in the demo (-10% episode-to-episode change) with 5.34 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.34 in the demo with 6.88 million.

Episode 01-12: Monday, 04/23/12
2.0 in the demo (+5% episode-to-episode change) with 6.01 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.38 in the demo with 7.01 million.

Episode 01-11: Monday, 04/16/12
1.9 in the demo (-5% episode-to-episode change) with 5.95 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.42 in the demo with 7.10 million.

Episode 01-10: Monday, 04/09/12
2.0 in the demo (-5% episode-to-episode change) with 5.99 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.47 in the demo with 7.21 million.

Episode 01-09: Monday, 04/02/12
2.1 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 6.03 million; tied for second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.52 in the demo with 7.35 million.
Demo average rank: #2 of 19 scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 01-08: Monday, 03/26/12
2.1 in the demo (-5% episode-to-episode change) with 6.14 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.58 in the demo with 7.51 million.

UPDATE: NBC has renewed Smash for a second season.

Episode 01-07: Monday, 03/19/12
2.2 in the demo (-8% episode-to-episode change) with 6.56 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.64 in the demo with 7.71 million.
Demo average rank: #2 of 18 scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 01-06: Monday, 03/12/12
2.4 in the demo (-11% episode-to-episode change) with 7.04 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.72 in the demo with 7.90 million.

Episode 01-05: Monday, 03/05/12
2.7 in the demo (+17% episode-to-episode change) with 7.76 million; first in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.78 in the demo with 8.07 million.

Episode 01-04: Monday, 02/27/12
2.3 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 6.64 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.80 in the demo with 8.15 million.
Demo average rank: #2 of 17 scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 01-03: Monday, 02/20/12
2.3 in the demo (-18% episode-to-episode change) with 6.47 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.97 in the demo with 8.66 million.

Episode 01-02: Monday, 02/13/12 (easily first in timeslot)
2.8 in the demo (-26% episode-to-episode change) with 8.06 million; first in the timeslot.
Season average: 3.30 in the demo with 9.75 million.
Demo average rank: #1 of 17 scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 01-01: Monday, 02/06/12
3.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 11.44 million total viewers; first in the timeslot.
Season average: 3.80 in the demo with 11.44 million.

It was a very positive start for the series and was the first time that the network won the timeslot (other than the Olympics) since November 2008. On the downside, a significant number of viewers stopped watching between the first and second half hours. Will this series last? We’ll have to see how well Smash performs over the next several weeks.

What do you think? Do you like the Smash TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Pam April 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Please keep the show on the air. I think it’s great.

Cynthia April 22, 2012 at 11:56 am

I hate the gay stuff and will never watch this show again!

Leslie April 16, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Really enjoyed the first few episodes; however, as the season progresses I find myself (and other family members) grabbing for the remote to turn off the show when the story line gets VERY offensive and uncomfortable to watch. You are losing viewers by the second when you add unnecessary gay sexual situations. The MAJORITY of your viewing audience is very TURNED off. I really love most of the cast, Meagan and Catherine are true talents who do not need to be lowered to those standards. NBC just lost several viewers tonight.

pat April 3, 2012 at 11:17 am

best new show of the season! Kat McPhee is great! Would like to see her part expanded. Will she and Derek ever “get it on”? Would love to see that! Such chemistry!

Lise April 1, 2012 at 9:57 am

I’m somewhat disappointed and sad. I love musical theatre and had high expectations. And the first 3 or so episodes lived up to them. What I have become to dislike about the show is certain characters and the useless drama surrounding them. Most of my dislike is reserved for the Ellis character (Jaime Cepero). That little conniving snitch! I know viewers are suppose to dislike him, but he makes my blood boil, and that spoils it for me. I would get rid of him and replace him with a quirky, funny, but highly efficient female assistant (sor of like Abby on NCIS). The other is Michael (Will Chase). His short tryst with Julia felt like ‘filler scenes’ that would have played well in a daytime soap. Plus, he looks nothing like Dimaggio. As a viewer, I would have liked to see more of the creation, audition and rehearsal process and a little less of the drama mentioned above. Having said all that, I’m cooling towards the show and no longer vie for the next episode. Funnily enough, the same thing happened to me with ‘GLEE’. In both cases, the writing just seemed to run out of steam. Perhaps Ms Rebeck needs to reevaluate and restaff the writing team… Hello! It’s a musical series. Let the actors do more of what they do best. Sing and dance.

Pam March 25, 2012 at 10:10 pm

To me, this is one of the best shows in years. It is so sophisticated in the writing, the music, and the acting. I so hope it is renewed.

Andrine March 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm

My favorite show!!! ORIGINAL with a great cast

broadway fanatic March 18, 2012 at 7:28 am

hate the show. it is so poorly written and acted!!!!

Bill Bosley March 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Hooked, what else can I say.
Looking forward to see how the plot lines develop. I am actually starting to care about the characters, which does not happen often with TV shows.
Definitely has more dimensions then “Glee” , with musical numbers equal to, if not better.
Most entertaining. Hope the show goes on! Better yet, I hope they finish it and take it on tour.

Diana March 15, 2012 at 1:31 am

SMASH is amazing! I do not watch many shows on tv–most are not very good. It’s obvious this show is a hit! I am watching the episodes over with others in the family and not feeling bored in the least–and they are also hooked. Way to go NBC! Hope you know that many of us are recording the show or watching thru on demand….which is always more convenient!

gailsy March 13, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I really enjoy the show. I look forward to watching it every week. This is one of the best TV shows on that CBS has aired. I like the line-up — first the Voice and then Smash, a nice way to end “Mondays”.

Kirk March 13, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I admit, I watched the pilot because Katharine Mcphee was in it and I liked her on american idol. I have to say, though, it’s really a great show. I look forward to watching it every week, and the hour goes by so fast because there are so many story lines going on that are all interesting. Great job with this show I would hate to see it go.

Heather March 13, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I absolutely love this show. It’s like crack to me! I was in my first community theatre play last year at the age of 37 and this show just absolutely embraces all that I loved about theatre….I love the casting – except for Ivy- she’s great, just not for this character. I love the chemistry between everyone else. Katherine McPhee is phenomenal, love it all! I hope it stays, this show is so great. When the show ends I say “noooo!” out loud and my husband laughs every time.

OntheFence April 13, 2012 at 4:30 am

Are you kidding? Megan Hilty is Phenomenal (unless you mean they should cast someone less talented as Ivy to make it believable that s he should not be the star, right?).

Dee March 13, 2012 at 8:28 am

I absolutely love this show. I am crossing my fingers that it will stay on the air. I will be so disappointed if it doesn’t .

Polly March 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm

The show is spectacular! It’s full of all the things (lust, betrayal, love, etc.) that keep you coming back and entertains to boot. I don’t usually watch TV but this is the best show that’s been on for a long time