Smith, The Nine, and Eyes: DirecTV to Air Cancelled TV Shows

Smith, The Nine, and EyesThe networks often frustrate their viewers by prematurely canceling serial dramas. To add insult to injury, they frequently end up leaving some episodes unaired. Well, for fans of three cancelled shows, things are about to get a little better.

DirecTV has just made a deal to air three brief series that just didn’t capture enough Nielson viewers; Smith, The Nine, and Eyes.

Smith revolves around a group of thieves and features the talents of Ray Liotta, Virginia Madsen, Simon Baker, Jonny Lee Miller, Franky G, Amy Smart, Chris Bauer, Shohreh Aghdashloo, K’Sun Ray, Tatum McCann, Lisa Vidal, Valarie Rae Miller, Elden Henson and Sidney S. Liufau. CBS pulled it after three episodes, leaving four on the shelf.

The Nine follows a group of people who’ve been through a bank robbery together. It showcases Lourdes Benedicto, John Billingsley, Jessica Collins, Tim Daly, Dana Davis, Camille Guaty, Chi McBride, Kim Raver, Scott Wolf, Owain Yeoman, Jeffrey Pierce, Tom Verica, Kim Staunton, and Michael Emanuel. ABC aired only nine of 13 installments.

Which show are you looking forward to seeing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Eyes is centered around a moralistic legal firm and also stars Daly, as well as Eric Mabius, Laura Leighton, Rick Worthy, A.J. Langer, Natalie Zea, Reg Rogers, and Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon. Five episodes aired on ABC, leaving seven unseen.

Satellite television provider DirecTV has been looking for ways to expand its staple of original programming. They didn’t have much success with picking up Passions, the NBC soap opera. The company is apparently quite happy with the performance of Friday Night Lights, a joint project with NBC. While nothing’s been officially announced, it looks like Lights is about to be renewed for two more 13-episode seasons.

DirecTV has also begun picking up prematurely cancelled series. Earlier this year, the company aired the intense Wonderland series about a mental health facility. The success of that outing has apparently inspired them to make a deal with Warner Bros. TV for Smith, The Nine, and Eyes. While these projects aren’t new, they boast impressive casts and most televisions viewers have never seen them.

Smith is slated to begin on Wednesday, April 8th at 10pm and will go for seven weeks. The Nine will take over that timeslot starting on May 27th and will run for 13 weeks. Eyes will start airing on Wednesdays at 9pm, kicking off in July, and will run for 12 weeks.

All programs will air on DirecTV’s exclusive Channel 101. They’ll be made available in hi-definition and will run without commercials — certainly providing a nicer viewing experience than the shows received during their original runs.

Rosanne August 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Will the Show EYES be on DVD anywhere? I did some searches but did not find it.

admin August 24, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Rosanne » Not that I know of.

CHUCK October 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm

IS THERE ANYPLACE I CAN WATCH TV SERIES ….eyes WITH TIM DALY

hank May 25, 2012 at 6:53 am

thepiratebay

Elizabeth Shamroe March 19, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Why do air re-runs of The Nine, Deadwood if they are not going to give us a conclusion! It just &*&*&* me off that you get into the story line and characters to find out it has already been cancelled and cancelled with out an ending. I love The Nine and just realized that I’ve fallen in love with a show that has been cancelled. Another failed love!

Jim Shamroe April 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Please contact me about your last name…..

bill savage September 27, 2009 at 7:37 am

I just watched Smith on direct tv for the first time
GREAT STUFF
CBS screwed up cancelling this series – big mistake

Stocky September 13, 2009 at 2:43 pm

The Nine – excellent mini-series but storyline was just about complete, would have taken some talented writers to develop this one more than a few additional episodes.

Smith – first impression was ‘holy smoke, what did Liotta and Madson do to their faces?!? What is it with these stars and their overdone face lifts anyway? Once you get past that and you realized they still had their talent it was an excellent series. Guessing too many viewers couldn’t get past it.

Susan K. August 31, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I loved The Nine. Can’t believe no one watched it. I’m pretty picky and it caught me right off. Saw on Direct TV. Sometimes Am. has no taste. The interaction of characters was amazing.

Will D August 27, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Smith is one of the best shows on TV period. I started watching it from episode 1 on accident and now I am hooked. I dont understand how a show like this gets canceled and than there is all these junk reality TV shows on. I am glad direct TV has this for direct TV customers. Bring it back for another season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray August 13, 2009 at 7:06 am

They have been advertising sept. 15th as a start date.

Anne August 3, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Does anybody know when “Eyes” will be actually aired? It seems they moved it (it was supposed to start July). I’m enjoying “The Nine” that’s currently on, but I can’t wait for “Eyes” to begin. Thank you DirecTV for bringing back these great shows!

Allison July 1, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I saw part of one episode of “Eyes” on In2TV.com, and was hooked…but I didn’t finish the episode and the eps were all pulled from the website, so I was pissed. I am looking forward to seeing all of the episodes, and plan on taping them so I won’t have to be without it!!!

disappointed viewer May 24, 2009 at 12:55 am

It’s been about 3 years or more since “Eyes” was canceled and I’m still ticked that the show is no longer on. I’ve stopped watching shows on ABC for that very reason. The cancel shows way too quickly.

Zildy May 14, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Please bring back Tim Daly in THE FUGITIVE which is great and should never have been cancelled. CAB

Simon March 29, 2009 at 1:37 am

Well, I already’ve seen all Smith episodes.. Still can’t believe that show got cancelled.
I mean, I get 95% the time a series gets cancelled. But Smith??!
It a fucking heist story.. with Ray Liotta.. Amy Smart and Virgina Madsen.. Are you kidding me?

Chris Dugan March 28, 2009 at 12:01 pm

This is a very original thing for DirecTV to do, and certainly a reason to subscribe.
They are creating an interesting niche for themselves, airing the entire run of prematurely cancelled programs. I enjoyed Eyes when it was shown on network TV, so I’m excited to be able to view the remainder of the unseen episodes. I will also check out Smith, as I did not see it during its original run. I hope DirectTV picks up My Own Worst Enemy with Christian Slater, Heist, Invasion, Runaway with Donnie Wahlberg, Reunion and Journeyman – all series that got axed too early and left viewers hanging!

Thank you DirectTV for saving the best television show on TV – Friday Night Lights! 2 more guaranteed seasons – I’ll be watching and remain a DirecTV subscriber if you commit!

ND Mitchell March 27, 2009 at 5:59 am

I wish these were available on DVD because I saw the episodes shown on TV until they were cancelled. I would like to finish up watching the remainder of each series but I don’t have DirecTV..I have Verizon FioS.