Sons of Anarchy: FX Announces Seventh (Final) Season, Touts Season Six Finale Ratings

Sons of Anarchy season sevenLast night brought big ratings for FX and the sixth season finale of Sons of Anarchy. With 5.2 million total viewers and 3.5 million viewers in the 18-49 demographic, it was the second-highest rated episode in the show’s history as well as the best-rated season finale.

As part of the FX press release, the cable channel announced that season seven will premiere sometime next fall. While it’s been presumed that there would be a seventh season, I believe this is the first official announcement.

They also referred to season six as the “penultimate 6th season,” an official indication that season seven will be the end of the show.

While Sons of Anarchy is ending next year, there have been some rumblings that creater Kurt Sutter is developing a prequel series that would take place in the 1960s.

What do you think? Are you a fan of Sons of Anarchy? Do you think season seven should be the end? Would you be interested in a prequel?

Linda November 19, 2014 at 3:56 pm

If this is the last season then I can finally cancel my cable subscription. No need for it anymore. So very sad to see it go. Probably the best series I’ve ever had the pleasure to see.
If a prequel is all I can get then bring it on!

Kate Fredericks November 17, 2014 at 1:59 am

In the episode called Greensleeves, two weeks ago, I saw perhaps the most brilliant use of music and story colliding, to give an even more uneasy feeling to the scenes . It starts out as Wendy Teller (the excellent Drea DeMatteo) walks through the nursury between two sleeping children, the picture of innocence. We hear bells quietly and beautifully tap out Greensleaves. Move to the safe house where Gemma (who has actually caused all the madness to rain down on their heads, but hasn’t yet been “outed”), has been tending to the rehabbing of a mother. A lot of our boys are there, certainly Jimmy Smits in perhaps one of the best rolls of his career as Nero Padilla, Gemma’s love. The singer starts the words, in 2/4 perfect tempo sweetly as the song is stopping only when someone talks. We move from there to the park where a rival gun gang was supposed to meet with Jax and the leaders of SOA. The tempo is still consistent, but there is a more robust sound in the singer’s voice, not taking away from the beautiful words, just giving them slightly more emphasis. Jax receives not a planned visit and meeting as expected, but a small, taped box in which lies one of the most beloved SOA member’s eyeball. Bobby had been kidnapped by the rival gang earlier that day. After gazing at the eyeball, Jax puts it down on a picnic table, the music quietens and slows as the boys walk to their motorcycles to leave.

I have never seen such brilliance in a scene on TV in my life. The music a direct clash with the actions as it weaves in and out of the scenes. Perfect gentle, sweet music, as The Sons are in a truly awful mess. And putting them together made Kurt Sutter my all-time favorite writer/director……ever. If you were just watching the scene, you probably weren’t aware how he manipulated your feelings to be at once very sad and also very anxious for this final season. If this show doesn’t get the Emmy as best show this year, then it’s time to stop all the awards ceremonies because Son’s of Anarchy’s final season has, so far, been the best TV I have ever watched. That scene alone was pure brilliance and, while I have my doubts, I hope Hollywood has been paying attention. Just this once! Just FYI – FX in no way wants to lose this very lucrative popular show. Sutter had a timeline for this show the day it started, and he is sticking to the timeline. I’m not sure there was any amount of money he would take to change these plans. The show will be gone after this last season.

Jim November 16, 2014 at 11:46 am

Wasn’t interested in it for the first 3 seasons, but then got into it and couldn’t stop.
Is one of the best series I have ever watched.
KEEP GOING WHAT EVER SEQUEL YOU CAN DREAM UP……………..

denise November 16, 2014 at 2:03 am

Don’t cancel the show I love this show please renew and please bring opie back.

Lissa November 9, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Sons of Anarchy is my favorite show & I am extremely saddened by this news!!! I think the show needs to continue & the prequel would be cool also

lauri November 5, 2014 at 8:50 am

I have been a fan of SOA since season 1 first episode, I look forword to Tuesday nights @ 10.00 pm . hate to see the show go . please don’t cancel