Southland: Cancelled? Ben McKenzie Says…

Southland canceled?Benjamin McKenzie, one of the stars of TNT’s Southland series, has signed on as one of the leads in CBS’ The Advocates pilot. He’ll play a man who’s released after being imprisoned for 16 years for a crime he didn’t commit. He teams with a female attorney (Brit Morgan) to help fight for the underdogs.

Does this mean that Southland has been cancelled? No, but both Southland and The Advocates are produced by Warner Bros. so one would guess they know the status of the TNT series better than anyone.

McKenzie maintains that Southland’s fate hasn’t been decided yet. He tweeted, “To clarify: I am doing “Advocates” in second position to #SouthLAnd. If picked up for a sixth season, I am doing that. #SouthLAnd forever.”

He followed that up with, “I’m honored to be a part of the best cop show on TV (IMHO). I hope and pray it returns. Nothing would make me happier. #SouthLAnd forever.”

There may still be reason to worry about Southland’s fate however. The show’s ratings have been way down this season. The three episodes that have aired so far have averaged just 1.18 million viewers. The first three of last season averaged 2.01 million.

What do you think? Are you hoping that Southland is renewed for a sixth season? If it’s not, would you watch McKenzie in The Advocates?

Brent c April 18, 2013 at 10:21 am

Please I love this show and bring back coop if he doesn’t return I”ll still watch
Please please!thank you to the writers

Peyton April 18, 2013 at 8:54 am

Please don’t cancel this fabulous show. It’s sharp, dark, gritty and REAL. The acting is first rate. It’s one of my favorite TV shows; I DO NOT watch reality TV. When you find writers such as those on Southland and the great actors, you have a rare thing. Please keep it on the air.

pam April 18, 2013 at 4:20 am

I love Southland. It is such a well done show. You grow with the characters. Ben needs to be redeemed. coop needs to find himself-providing he didn’t die. which would be a shame after the garbage he’s been through. Please give us at least one more!!!!! And yes, I would watch the advocate. Ben won me as a fan in the OC.

Kathi Z April 18, 2013 at 3:43 am

Count me on the list of PLEASE Don’t Cancel! Riveting season and characters have really developed….be a total shame if it’s cancelled.

Sandi April 18, 2013 at 3:42 am

Do not cancel, Southland. It’s the best show on TNT. I’m voting for another season… Come on…. Season 6!!

Arnie98683 April 18, 2013 at 2:10 am

Southland is one of my five favorite shows on television. Please, TNT and Warner Bros., do not cancel it!!!!! It is not only superbly acted but is also one of the best written shows on TV. It is one of the few shows on TV that does not portray a gay character as a buffoon. Bravo to you!!!!

anita April 18, 2013 at 1:58 am

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW. I love this show just don’t kill off the good people and leave all the crappy people on there.

Anonymous April 18, 2013 at 1:03 am

Southland best tv show in forever! Gritty, engrossing characters. Plz tell me John Cooper is not dead!!!! Need season 6, with all characters from season 5, PLEASE!!!!!

charles c April 18, 2013 at 12:58 am

Please try and keep this show going, it is the best show on TV.

Frank B April 17, 2013 at 11:50 pm

PLEASE don’t cancel this show. It is the ONLY truly adult show of its kind on TV.

Sedona Gerretsen April 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm

DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW; IT HHAS BEEN YEARS SINCE THERE HAS BEEN A SHOW OF THIS CALIBER.

YOU NEED TO COMMUNICATE BETTER ABOUT THE SHOW AND IT NEEDS AT LEAST ANOTHER SEASON FOR PEOPLE TO SPREAD THE NEWS…….OR MOVE TO A NETWORK THAT WILL.

Nona Wallert April 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Ever since TNT cancelled Leverage on 12-21-2012 they seem to be having a number of programming issues. Perhaps if they were more communicative with their viewers their “issues” could be dealt with or at the very least, minimized. Communication is the key element in ANY type of relationship.

Dan April 17, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Don’t cancel this show! It’s the best cop show on tv, hands down. We need more qualiry shows like this on tv.

Iceworm April 17, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Love Southland!! Definitely hoping for a season 6. It is a superb police drama, in terms of both stories and acting.

Bill C. April 17, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Please DO NOT cancel one of the best shows on TNT. If the ratings are down that is on you! A little more exposure designed to bring in more of an audience. I had to search like crazy just to know when this season started! I would rather watch this show than any of the over run movies you have on. What are you thinking?