Southland: Cancelled by TNT, No Season Six

southland canceled, no season sixThe sun has set on Southland on TNT. The cable channel has decided to end the show after five seasons.

The ratings took a serious hit in season five, dropping to 1.44 million viewers and a 0.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic. Some of the cast booked pilots just in case but pledged to return if Southland ended up getting a sixth year.

Here’s a statement from TNT:

TNT has made the difficult decision not to renew Southland for another season. We are enormously proud of Southland, which stands as one of the best police dramas ever made.

Executive producers John Wells, Chris Chulack and Jonathan Lisco, along with creator Ann Biderman and our partners at Warner Bros. Television, have given us five seasons of powerful, unforgettable storytelling, for which we are deeply grateful.

We also want to thank the amazing cast for their impassioned, no-holds-barred performances, and the production team for their tenacity shooting on the streets of real-world Los Angeles. We wish everyone associated with Southland the very best.

What do you think? Are you sorry that the show has been cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

56 Comments on "Southland: Cancelled by TNT, No Season Six"

Notify of

Michael
Michael
May 13, 2013 5:10 pm

TNT,I know It’s all about money, but this was a damn good show.So create some fluff piece and make your cash.Maybe you can pick up Jersey Shore.

Charlie
Charlie
May 12, 2013 5:15 pm

To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. Southland has been a refreshing break in the pablum of network television. TNT brags of Characters, but with a show full of outstanding character development, they decide to bail. Shame on you TNT!

pudelkat
pudelkat
May 12, 2013 4:27 pm

TNT has really gone in the crapper cancelling some of their best shows!

Iris
Iris
May 13, 2013 3:32 am

YOU SAID IT!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE SOUTHLAND!!!!!!!
Boo hiss to TNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never missed an episode in all 5 seasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paula
Paula
May 15, 2013 6:49 pm

I agree!!!!!!!

Shelley
Shelley
May 12, 2013 2:24 pm
I was shocked. There hasn’t been a show about street police officers in years . It was authentic for the most part. I liked that a lot of the filming was done at the Rampart station. The actors where great so was the writing . There many times it brought me tears. My husband worked for the LAPD for 29 years and for him to set down and watch it sometimes meant a lot . He said the show was better than most. I agree with everyone else there is so much crap out there too much reality crap we… Read more »
Angela
Angela
May 12, 2013 2:04 pm

I loved Southland it was a great show. How could they cancel Southland and keep Falling Skies. Someone needs to rethink that .

jcr
jcr
May 11, 2013 11:35 am

What a bunch of ass wipes to cancel this show. But lets make sure they pick up stuff like ” Real Housewhores for Money” and reality crap. Look I just to a crap lets watch the reality show JC took a crap. I am sure the kids today inthe 18-35 would love that show. Between the politicians and the money makers in Whoretown we just cannot get a break any more!!!!!

ginny
ginny
May 11, 2013 5:48 pm

I agree with you! All this reality crap on tv now is stupid and scares me about the mentality of a lot of people these days. Let’s remember that these people determine what shows are on now. It’s sppppooookkkyyy!

Bonita
Bonita
May 11, 2013 9:16 am

It frustrates me that finally a show worth watching as Southland, has been canceled. Makes no sense that it has been. I’m very disappointed and will not watch TNT anymore. Southland was the only reason I did. So many other crap shows…but the absolute best show on television is no longer. Not happy. Not happy at all about that poor decison.

Paula
Paula
May 11, 2013 8:56 am

are you kidding????? YES, I’m disappointed Southland has been cancelled!!! I think Netflix should take a look at it and keep it going!

Wendy and Wicket
Wendy and Wicket
May 11, 2013 4:28 am
This is the second time in a year TNT has canceled an incredible show giving fans no resolution. The other, of course, being Leverage. Both were different from any thing else on tv. Even the CW has the decency to give shows a short seaso n to wrap up storylines and characters. Southland wasn’t planning the same cookie cutter procedural that is on every other channel. TNT, do you want to know why ratings are down?? It’s the lack of faith you seem to put into shows by little advertising and timeslot changes. If not for my dvr I would… Read more »
Crystal
Crystal
May 11, 2013 1:17 am

Wow! TNT is just letting the show end the way it did??? With no conclusions or anything! Terrible move! The absolute best cop show on tv, holding true to what most cops go through and now all that’s left are the crappy over dramatic cop shows! YUCK

Anonymous
Anonymous
May 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Very very sad, one show I looked forward to! The cast is amazing, I hope someone else will pick up and run with it.

Tha Critic
Tha Critic
May 10, 2013 10:28 pm

No big deal. They only cancelled one of the best shows on TV. Can’t wait to see garbage shows like “The Hero” and “Rizzoli and Isles” and “Franklin and Bash” (SARCASM). Now, with this and “Leverage” gone, I officially have no reason to watch TNT. Well, except for “Castle” re-runs. Cop shows don’t get and haven’t been better than “Southland”.

Tom
Tom
May 10, 2013 9:25 pm
I’m looking for a reason this excellent show was cancelled, other than the statement on the ratings drop, which, I would be willing to bet, is still higher than some of the other programming on TNT. Reading many of the comments, it sounds as thought TNT will be losing a lot of the 1.44 million viewers who enjoyed Southland. Wonder if their advertisers will care that so many people no longer care to tune in to the network? Bad decision. At least now there’s another hour on the idiot box for some low budget moronic reality show. Thanks for that… Read more »
Robert
Robert
May 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Cannot believe this show is cancelled. Seriously one of the greatest shows of all time.

L. Close
L. Close
May 10, 2013 7:52 pm

The best show on television. So sad to hear it’s been cancelled!

wpDiscuz