Southland: Season Three of TNT Series Coming in January

SouthlandIt’s time to head back to the mean streets of Los Angeles. The third season of Southland is set to debut on TNT on January 4th at 10pm. The premiere will take place the day after The Closer finishes its sixth season.

As you may recall, Southland ran for six episodes in April 2009. Despite sinking ratings, it was renewed for a second season of 13 episodes by the peacock network. Execs later decided that the series didn’t fit in their schedule and cancelled it after eight episodes were produced but not shown.

Warner Bros. later made a deal with TNT to air both the first and second seasons of Southland. That run was successful enough for the cable channel to order a third season of 10 episodes, the first commission specifically for TNT.

The show’s performers include Michael Cudlitz, Shawn Hatosy, Benjamin McKenzie, Regina King, Kevin Alejandro, Arija Bareikis, Michael McGrady and Tom Everett Scott. Actress Jenny Gago is joining the cast in season three as Detective Josie Ochoa, the partner of King’s character who’s been shot in the line of duty several times and has multiple sons.

What do you think? Are you looking forward to the return of Southland?

Canceled and renewed TV show

16 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Scott W says

I am so happy this show is back on. Ever since the Shield ended I have looking for a gritty cop show and here it is. I do Like BlueBloods on CBS but that is becuase of Tom Seleck ( Magnum PI fan for life). Please Keep SouthLand on the air..

2. Patty says

I LOVE this show!!! I found out about it really late, so I missed all those earlier shows, cancellations, renewals, etc. It’s my NEW/BEST show!

3. Bill says

Great show! I was sad when it was cancelled. I am thrilled that a quality show has been saved. I look forward to January 4, 2011.

4. wayne says

Does anyone know when TNT will rebroadcast the 2009 episodes? I do not want to watch them on-line, just in front of my TV. Right now, they are running 2010.

5. Tom McAfee says

Very happy to see this come back…..how can Blue Bloods be a smash while this has to fight for it’s life? I hope FX also backs Terriers.

6. Denise Hall says

Truly happy this excellent show is returning. These studio exec’s don’t give
    enough time for these new shows to emerge, seems like they only give it
    one or two episodes before they take if off the air.

Excellent choice TNT!