Southland: TNT Officially Picks Up Cancelled Show; All Good News?

cancelled Southland goes to TNTIt’s not groundbreaking news since a deal’s been rumored for several days but TNT has made a deal to pick up NBC’s cancelled drama, Southland. Unfortunately, the news isn’t as great as one might hope.

The Los Angeles-based cop drama revolves around a group of officers from the LAPD. The Southland cast includes Benjamin McKenzie, Kevin Alejandro, Arija Bareikis, Michael Cudlitz, Shawn Hatosy, Regina King, Michael McGrady, Tom Everett Scott, Emily Bergl, Patrick Fischler, Lex Medlin, C. Thomas Howell, Emily Swallow, Carla Jeffery, Lori Alan, and Roxana Brusso.

Southland ran for seven episodes last spring on NBC. The show had a decent start but the numbers started to fade as the weeks progressed. That decline seemed to coincide with NBC’s decision to order another season.

Last month, with The Jay Leno Show filling the network’s 10pm timeslot, NBC decided to cancel the series before it returned. Part of their reasoning was that Southland felt too dark for the network’s earlier hours.

Production on Southland’s second season was shut down after six episodes and NBC would reportedly have to pay hefty cancellation fees for not following through on their 13 episode order.

Do you think TNT will make more Southland episodes?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Series co-executive producer John Wells immediately said that he would try to find a new home for series. Speculation immediately turned to the TNT cable channel. Warner Bros. TV produces the cop drama and TNT is owned by Turner. Both fall under the Time Warner corporate umbrella.

Rumors were that NBC was holding up the deal but it seems that terms have now been worked out. TNT has bought the rights to air both the original seven episodes from season one as well as the six unaired installments from season two.

Of the pickup, Wells said, “We’re delighted that TNT has stepped forward to pick up Southland. We are all extremely proud of the show.”

As expected, the news isn’t as rosey as fans might have liked. TNT hasn’t said anything about putting the show back into production, only that they’ll be airing the already-produced episodes.

Southland will start airing on TNT on January 12th at 10pm (coincidentally opposite Jay Leno). The cable channel will take a wait-and-see approach before deciding if they want to produce more. If the ratings don’t meet their expectations, fans will surely be left with a whole lot of unresolved storylines.

What do you think? Are you just happy that TNT picked up the series or are you concerned that there won’t be any more episodes?

joellen November 12, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I am very happy that TNT has picked up Southland tv series. I think they should cancel Jay Leno and put out shows back on the 10 o’clock time slot…I will be watching TNT in January to see the Southland shows. Thank you TNT.

eileen November 10, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I’m was so very disappointed that Southland was cancelled. The season finale was THE best show on television I have ever seen. Southland is on par with Hill Street Blues. Unfortunately, the deep recession must have had something to do with this decision. NBC should smarten up and buy back once we recover. I can’t wait to see the remainder of episodes on TNT!

Brian Bradley November 9, 2009 at 9:38 pm

NBC made a big mistake. Good job TNT you will not regret this. Southland is one of the best shows I have seen in a longtime. I think it

Rainee November 9, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I am from LA and Southland is too sophisticated for middle – America. I realy like Jay Leno but not every night at 9 – 10 pm. It is just another affirmation that the great TV writers in Hollywood are an endangered species. E.g. – Like on Mars, Dirty Sexy Money, et al! I noticed most of the TV – cable and all is non-net work with only a few exceptions – they will probably end up on cable (TNT, USA, etc) eventually. Too bad Americans are becoming “Brain-Dead”. Reminder – a majority of very good USA TV programs are based on BBC shows. Too bad advertisers don’t hawk their goods on excellent programs or at least good ones.

Gina November 8, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Would much rather they had picked up Life on Mars or Eli Stone or Dirty Sexy Money or Pushing Daisies….. The list goes on and on.

Linda November 8, 2009 at 5:40 pm

thank you TNT I’m texting everyone who watches the show and telling them! they’re all really happy! I hope the ratings support producing more episodes! gotta keep them fingers crossed!!

mosi November 6, 2009 at 9:42 am

Thrilled at the pickup, and hopeful about new production. NBC really shot themselves in their collective feet with the nightly 10pm slot going to Leno.

G Lou November 5, 2009 at 5:43 pm

loved the show… hated the story lines progression w/ the little girl. Wanted more of the gay police officer storyline…

Janaea November 5, 2009 at 10:57 am

I hope they continue shooting episodes this show is awesome NBC is going downhill its good Southland was able to jump ship in time

Mary November 3, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I am so glad they picked up Southland. Maybe they can keep picking up what NBC cancels. Maybe TNT will consider Trauma. NBC having problems keeping good shows. NBC’s losses is TNT’s gains!

Kathy November 2, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I’m really hoping they decide to produce more shows, Southland was a great show….guess I’ll wait to see what happens….

Jake November 2, 2009 at 7:53 pm

The reality of the situation is that TV is a business and any pickup of any show has to make business sense for the network. Since cable almost always runs in 13-episode cycles anyway, this is the most effective way for TNT to try out the show. I absolutely believe they intend to shoot more; otherwise, they wouldn’t have gone through the trouble of picking up NBC’s castoff in the first place. However, it does make sense to do a relaunch of the show from the ground up and waiting to see how it performs on cable minimizes TNT’s risk. I do not think we could ever have reasonably expeccted anything better to begin with from them. But that said, Southland seems to fit like a glove with TNT’s other programming and it will most likely become a big player for them. So we’ll probably be seeing more. I myself did not watch Southland on NBC because it was airing opposite Private Practice at the time but, given the enormous goodwill toward the show and a general wish to reward TNT for picking up the scripted show that was too mcuh for ratings-challenged NBC, I’m planning to give the show a look when it reappears in January.

Fred November 2, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Better than nothing — at least this is a sign of hope that the show will be produced again.

JO ANN MEORE November 2, 2009 at 11:47 am

DON’T LIKE BEING LEFT HANGING. STOPPED WATCHING TNT WHEN THEY CANCELED SAVED WITH TOM EVERETT SCOTT, GUESS I WILL WATCH WHAT THEY SHOW OF SOUTHLAND AND STOP WATCHING TNT AGAIN IF THEY DROP THE SHOW.

jd November 2, 2009 at 11:42 am

happy the show was picked up. looking forward to seeing the un-aired episodes, and hopefully more beyond them.