Southland: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Six?

Southland season six or cancelled?Tonight, TNT airs the last episode of Southland’s fifth season. Will the cop drama be cancelled or renewed for a fifth season instead? How are the ratings?

Southland follows the lives of a group of police officers who “serve and protect” the residents of Los Angeles. The ensemble cast includes Michael Cudlitz, Benjamin McKenzie, Regina King, Shawn Hatosy, C. Thomas Howell, and Tom Everett Scott.

The fourth season of Southland attracted an average of 1.84 million total viewers with a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was down from season three which averaged 1.99 million and a 0.7 in the demo.

Season five dropped even lower. The nine episodes have dropped 24% to 1.4 million with a 0.5 rating. Dallas, which has been airing on Monday nights, has done much better — averaging 2.67 million and a 0.8 rating.

TNT has taken great pride in airing Southland but these numbers are not good and they could easily choose to cancel it. Or, they could bargain to give the series one final season for closure.

The cast and crew have produced just 43 episodes over the five seasons and unfortunately even one more season won’t give them enough for much of a syndication package.

If TNT does cancel the show, viewers may not have long to miss some of the show’s stars. McKenzie, King, and Hatosy have all signed on to star in new TV show pilots. If Southland does continue, they’ll return to TNT.

What do you think? Should Southland be cancelled or renewed? If tonight’s is the last episode, do you think it’s a satisfying ending to the series?

Terance May 13, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Cancelling this show was the WORST thing that you could have ever done.

Teresa Crowe May 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

OMG!!! THIS SHOW HAS ME ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT !!! EVERY EPISODE IS A ROLLER COASTER RIDE!! PLEASE DONT CANCEL THIS SHOWWWWWWWW!!!!
LOVED IT FROM THE VERY FIRST PILOT WHEN IT AIRED ON NBC@!! WOW… LOVE SOUTHLAND!!!

Anna May 12, 2013 at 1:22 am

That is crazy!!!!!! Why would they cancel THE BEST SHOW ON TV?!!!!! If TNT cancels it this channel will be banned from my house.

Shirley May 10, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Bring back Southland!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous May 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm

This show is so underrated and deserves to be brought back for at least 1 more season. It is the only show that actually keeps me clinging to my seat throughout the entire episode. PLEASE DON’T CANCEL IT

Lee May 9, 2013 at 1:14 am

I love this series. It is like crack to me. I have watched it religiously since the pilot. I think it is the most accurate and exciting cop show since NYPD blue or Hill Street Blues. (yes I like police shows that are accurately told) I would definitely like to see it continue. Lee

Alyssa May 8, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I agree…Southland is a great show and is a great outlet for those of us in the COP community. I would hate to see the show end the way it did…especially right on the heels of the very emotional episode in which an officer dies. Please….please….give Southland another chance!!!!!!

Shelby May 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm

This show is outstanding! And I need resolution about John Cooper. He is the best charater on the show and this program should have had multiple Emmy awards LONG ago for every cast member. This is the only program we watch live instead of recording and watching later. Easily the most compelling cop drama (or drama at all) on television. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE bring it back.

mike May 7, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Southland should be renewed. It is one of the best acted, most realistic cop show dramas that I have ever seen.
The show is Emmy worthy and I am mystified as to why it keeps getting ignored.

Bring it back for season 6

Thanks

Ken and Helen Yowell May 7, 2013 at 9:07 am

We definitely want another season of Southland. Please renew the series!!! It needs to continue! Best series EVER! Coop has to survive!!! Best character in the series! Don’t take this away from us!

Bali May 6, 2013 at 7:53 am

Please do a sixth season. It needs better closure than this. Best cop show that I’ve seen in a long long time.

Laurie May 6, 2013 at 1:44 am

I will be checking feverishly, regularly, to see if Southland will continue.
I had a great conversation with a REAL cop about it, he said it is quite an authentic show!

Victoria May 5, 2013 at 10:45 am

I’ve loved Southland ever since it premiered on NBC. TNT better not cancel it! At least one more season, please!

jamie May 4, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Renew Southland. One of the best shows ever. Great cast. And I really care about them. Don’t leave it behind……….

Diane May 3, 2013 at 10:30 am

Bring Southland back!!!!!! It’s one of my top 2 shows on T.V. on any channel! No this is not a satisfactory ending! And Coop needs to survive! I agree with Jewels about needing more episodes or maybe small groups of episodes more often. I also think the show has outstanding writing, filmaking,directing and the actors are all Phenomenal! Please don’t cancel Southland!!!!!!!! I too will be heartbroken!!!!