Stargate Atlantis: Series Cancelled, No Season Six

IMAGEWhen Stargate SG-1 ended its run in March 2007, fans of the franchise could take solace that they’d still have weekly Stargate adventures courtesy of spin-off Stargate Atlantis. Now, Atlantis is being cancelled as well.

Stargate Atlantis debuted on July 16, 2004 on Sci Fi. The series follows the adventures of a human expedition to the lost city of Atlantis in the Pegasus Galaxy. While Atlantis generally hasn’t been as popular as the SG-1 series, it still has a lot of fans. After five seasons on the air, Sci Fi Channel has announced that the series is ending.

The cancellation didn’t come as a complete surprise to the producers. On his blog, showrunner Joseph Mallozzi cites rising production costs and the decline of the US dollar as contributors. He and showrunner Paul Mullie broke the news to the cast and crew themselves. Thankfully it seems like the adventure isn’t over quite yet.

The second half of season five will air as expected on Sci Fi beginning in January. The 100th episode, titled “Enemy At the Gate,” will be the show’s last. The Atlantis story will then continue in a two-hour movie. The as-yet-untitled movie will run on Sci Fi and soonafter be released on DVD.

Mallozzi and Mullie will write the movie script. It’s not yet known who will direct the project. Mallozzi writes, “Obviously, I can’t say much about it at this point but suffice it to say that it should include the entire cast in addition to a certain gaunt and pallid flowing-locked guest star.” A release date should be forthcoming soon.

Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, the SG-1 and Atlantis co-creators, are upbeat about the news. In a statement, they said, “We’re excited to tell Atlantis stories on a bigger canvas. The successes of the two original Stargate DTV movies The Ark of Truth and Continuum have shown us the opportunities that the movie format offers. We have plans for both SG-1 and Atlantis to remain vital as we expand the franchise.”

Should Stargate Atlantis be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“We share in the producers’ enthusiasm to move forward in this direction and we look forward to a strong and continued relationship on Stargate Atlantis in this new format,” said Thomas Vitale, Sci Fi’s Senior Vice President of Programming & Original Movies.

The network has indicated that “the show will live on as a network franchise.” What the statement actually means is unclear. Sci Fi may be planning additional Atlantis movies, or it could be a general indication that the Stargate franchise will continue, likely as a third series.

In late 2007, Cooper and Wright pitched Stargate Universe to the channel. Earlier this year, Wright told Gateworld, “The idea of Stargate Universe is that it is set on a ship that was part of an Ancient experiment that was set in motion probably millions of years ago — one that they never saw to fruition, but that we can.” He went on to say that the ship’s mission would be to help seed the galaxies with Stargates. Universe hasn’t been given a greenlight yet but, now that Atlantis has been cancelled, Sci Fi may have the funds to do it.

Though the Atlantis cancellation is surely a disappointment to fans, Mallozzi is confident the story isn’t over. He writes, “And, if [the Atlantis movie] proves anywhere as successful as the first two SG-1 direct-to-video features, you can be assured that this will be the first in a long, long line of Stargate Atlantis movies.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Madi October 7, 2010 at 6:14 am

I have just started watching season four and have season five and I purposely did not check until now why I hadn’t heard of season 6. I was already getting pre-depressed thinking there was only another 35 episodes for me to watch and now I know that there will be no more after this I think I will have to spam the SciFi complaints department, or maybe they’re too chicken **** to have one after this. The thing I like best is how well you come to know the characters in SG-1 and SGA and as the seasons progress you come to love them all. I cried like a baby when carson died! I used to stay up until 1:30 a.m. just to watch this show! And can I just add that channel producers in Australia are totally mental!! They canned SGU after 3 episodes (while it was not up there with SG1 and SGA it was still stargate)!! Epic fail for not having stargate on free tv for years.

bmxjoebmx October 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm

we need a Stargate Atlantis: Season 6 and 7 i love the and will looking for more!!!!!!!

Cristina1970 October 3, 2010 at 8:41 am

OMG there’s not going to be a season 6! i’m almost done with 5 :( this is not good i love watching SGA. :*( This is so not good. What they just cancelled it with out telling us what they are going to do to TODD! I LOVE TODD! OMG life sucks so much. now i’m going to have to get back on my anti depressants. Thanks you stupid producers for getting me out of my depression just to throw me back in :*(

John October 3, 2010 at 3:45 am

Stargate Atlantis- grrreat show! Sorry to see it go. I liked it better than SG-1

Tom September 29, 2010 at 5:09 pm

To be honest, I think it is stupid to leave the end of a fantastic television programme on such a hanger such as Atlantis has just come to Earth and are deciding what to do with Todd and then the show gets cancelled, I 100% agree with Mike because this is basically what they’re plan was, when they started talking about universe in 2005 they were thinking about cutting Atlantis to make it, and Universe is brilliant, it brings a whole new view on the lives of the characters but Atlantis wasn’t finished, the Wraith hadn’t finished their war with each other and the Genii had not been defeated, the new Asgard hadn’t been seen again and the Travellers were just starting to get a key role in the show, its disgraceful that this programme was stopped with so much left to do, and I have lost all my faith in the producers of the Sci Fi channel as have many others.

stangman69v69 September 25, 2010 at 10:29 am

I started to watch SG-A and at first I thought it was going to be just another Sci-fi junk, but I was captured by the action and the actors that were in the series. I continued to watch all the season on netflix and now I fine myself with no end to the series. TV companies has to stop leaving fan and consumers hanging when they find that a series is not doing so well, especially if it is just one season they have to hang in there because TV watchers expect a good series like SG-A to continue like my self. I don’t watch alot of TV but when I started to watch SG-A I couldn’t turn off the TV. I hope you listen to fans and continue the series. I bet the orginal Star Trek probably went thru some tough times but they pulled it off with being on of the longest running show, and still to today it draws people to theaters and TV Show. So please continue with the magic and entertainment like SG-A has done for the last 5 years.

Cristina1970 October 3, 2010 at 8:45 am

it’s so wrong for them to just leave us hanging, I hate watching tv but i got hooked bad with netflix on SGA now i’m just scared to finish season 5….. :*(

mark m September 15, 2010 at 2:49 am

i pleage to buy seson 6 an the movie on blue ray as you make them

my word

wrack September 12, 2010 at 8:48 am

I believe there are still lot of fans among us.. I just hope that one day they’ll realize that it was a big mistake to cancel SGA… the vote tab above proves that as well..

robin September 7, 2010 at 3:28 pm

bring back the series sg1 seizon 11 and sga seizon 6 i dont care about the movie the serie is 10x better

Sangungão August 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm

SGA is the one of the best TV serial in the world don´t finish it, a movie will be well come, but let me tell you that nothing can change the SGA, come on people keep workng and making the fans happy!!!

Ryan August 21, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I think that sga was one of the best tv shows I ever watched they need to continue the story And not leave so many ppl wondering I want there to be a season 6 I would also take a 7th bring it back or just some how make a crazy good movie about the ending

Michal August 5, 2010 at 10:38 am

I love Stargate Atlantis series, the damage that canceled the show.

Mike July 22, 2010 at 11:56 pm

why don’t we try to contact some of the actors? We’ve nothing to lose.But to be honest, i don’t expect those morons will ever think about it :-(. The yare as arongant as ancient was, but as stupid as … well, there is no one how could bo as stupid as them:-D

gilles July 21, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I’m tired of fighting with these ”professionals” who got their money,who know what we all clearly want and need and expect from them and,still,they clearly have nothing but disrespect for us all ,by simply calling the whole thing off.I truly wonder at this point if even the actors of this series have any feelings of any kind for their multitude of fans,maybe and only maybe,they could help us all by kicking some serious ass with those morons!!!!!
I am truly appalled at this flagrant disrespect!!!!!!

Mike July 20, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I don’t get which role money plys in it. SGA have been popular so it had to make money to them. In my opinion they just wasted money for SGU and now they are drowning because of their own inability to use money as a normal guys. they have to always experiment with stupid things instead of making episodes that was great! I don’t get those guys and i don’t even want to. One thing i want, is to bring atlantis back!