Stargate Universe: Syfy TV Show Cancelled; No Season Three

Stargate UniverseSyfy has confirmed that there won’t be a third season for Stargate Universe. The science fiction series has been cancelled after two seasons and 40 episodes.

The first half of season two finished airing on November 30th. The second 10 episodes are expected to air in the Spring of 2011. Unless the cable channel comes up with a replacement, this will mark the first time since 2002 that a Stargate series hasn’t aired on Syfy (previously known as the Sci-Fi Channel).

Stargate Universe follows a diverse exploration team who is unable to return to Earth after evacuating to a Ancient spaceship that’s headed to a distant part of the universe. The cast includes Robert Carlyle, Louis Ferreira, Brian J. Smith, Elyse Levesque, David Blue, Alaina Huffman, Jamil Walker Smith, and Ming-Na.

Here’s the official statement from Syfy…

Syfy will end its original action-adventure series Stargate Universe when the show returns with the final 10 episodes of its second season in the Spring of 2011. The Stargate franchise — consisting of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe — has aired on Syfy since 2002.

Syfy has a slate of new sci-fi/fantasy scripted projects lined up for 2011 including the series premiere of Being Human on January 17, the recently green lit one-hour drama series Alphas and the much anticipated Battlestar Galactica prequel pilot movie, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. Warehouse 13, Eureka and Haven will also return with new seasons next year.

It’s unclear if the final 10 episodes of Stargate Universe will give closure to the series.

What do you think? Are you sorry that SGU is coming to an end? Do you think the ongoing storylines will be resolved?

We want SG-1 SGA SGU BACK@@!! May 26, 2013 at 2:21 am

We want SG-1 SGA SGU BACK@@!!

angie barnes April 8, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I love SGU!!! The way the series ended really upsets me, nothing like watching a whole series and then not knowing what happens. I like being human, alphas & lost girl do I’m not dissing them at all, BUT COME ON FINISH THE DAMN SERIES!!!

Marco Aleman January 16, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I have been watching all of the SG shows including SGU, my wife hated them all, but when she discovered SGU she loved it. Perhaps it wasn’t making enough money for the company, and it’s very understandable. However, you shouldn’t keep us hanging this way from the last episode. I believe I have a solution to this problem, and the company will make money in the process, make a movie of the ending of SGU for us, the fans. The movie should return them all home after destroing the threat of these drone mother ships from the final episodes, and give closure to the relationship between all the members of the crew.
Imagine this; after being in the stasis pods for 3 years, Eli awoke first since he fixed the broken pod and was able to enter. He quickly freed the two consciousness, Ginn and Amanda Perry, with specific job instructions to help him prepare for the drone blockade they are soon to face. The rest of the crew finaly were able to awake right on time as Destiny began to face the first of many blockades. This was a crusual fight to have access to a star for them to recharge. The bad news is that the drones seem to belong to a god who has been identified as Nacon, god of war. Half of the crew was then captured and interagated as the other half went to look for them while fighting the god’s drone, and on their way they are finding important information to get back home. In the end, they are presented with an opportunity to rescue the rest of the crew and get back home.

laura October 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I do really hope the will make a please again for SGU!
I just love it!

cl September 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

i enjoyed sg-u as much as all other sg series.
hope it comes back for thrid season (over the air tv broadcast).
thank you.

tim300 September 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm

bring back sgu is a GREAT SHOW

Fritz Ridout August 26, 2012 at 10:02 am

I enjoyed the SG-U series BETTTER than the SG Atlantis series and am shocked that it is cancelled. I also like the Being Human series, but have to agree that the UK version is great and I hate the U.S. version it truley does suck. Can’t get into it at all. Hope they can bring SG-U back, but the best way to get their attention is to stop watching and paying for the Scyfy channel. That usually does the trick.

Karen Taylor August 5, 2012 at 9:31 am

I was a latecomer to SGU, only catching on to Foxtel Sci-Fi. I had been watching most of SG1, SGA and now SGU, I LOVE IT! I am caught up the the character & episodic story arc & will be so dissappointed in it does not continue, please don’t leave us hanging, after everyone is shot/injured except Eli. I think the problem with shows like this, is that some, even myself initially, get caught up in the “spin off” rift……was the same with Buffy & Angel, X-Files & The Lone Gunmen & Millenium. However, I think, given the right marketing. a better time slot on regular TV & better promotion on foxtel, there is no reason these wouldn;t have been bigger hits. Love SGA the best and now thats gone, SGU fills the void. I hope someone takes it on, am really frustrated with unresolved storylines.
BTW – Being Human, Skins BRITTISH are the only ones worth watching, the USA remakes suck!