Updates on Cancelled Stargate Universe TV Series and Stargate Atlantis Movie

StargateAs you probably know by now, Syfy recently cancelled Stargate Universe. While the remaining 10 episodes of season two will air in the spring, there won’t be a third season on the cable channel. Co-creator Brad Wright has said that there is a chance that Stargate Universe might continue in some form without Syfy. He mentioned that he’s currently in discussions with MGM, the studio and rights holder of the franchise.

In a recent blog post, writer and executive producer Joseph Mallozzi answered questions from fans and confirmed that Stargate Universe may not be dead just yet. He said that all options are still being considered — including a movie and a third season for another channel. He indicated that a third season would be the ideal scenario. Mallozzi also said that “positive progress” could be made as early as next week. The show’s sets are still standing and they won’t be dismantled until all possible avenues have been explored.

When asked if the cast and crew saw the cancellation news coming, Mallozzi replied, “Those early season two ratings were admittedly a downer. The move to Tuesday night was not good for us (and, speaking to the franchise as a whole, the move from summer to fall did us no favors either) and I firmly believe that time-shifted viewing and internet downloads have bled off a significant portion of our younger, tech-savvy audience. Still, we held out hope and, as production continued on season two, positive word from various places gave us hope that the show would come back for, at the very least, a third and final season (much the same way Battlestar did). Many of us were shocked by the abruptness of the cancellation decision.”

To that end, Mallozzi notes that most may be unsatisfied with how the last episode of the season, “Gauntlet,” leaves the series. He said, “Most would probably consider it a cliffhanger while I would consider it a touching, bittersweet end to the series (if it comes to it).” For fans who want to help keep Stargate Universe (SGU) going, Mallozzi suggests buying episodes from iTunes or purchasing the DVD sets.

Mallozzi also briefly touched on the impact of the SGU cancellation on the long-awaited Stargate Atlantis movie. While some believed that the SGU cancellation might be a good sign, Mallozzi noted that couldn’t be further from the truth. He said, “I’m sorry to say but the cancellation puts the brakes on whatever progress the SGA movie had made in the past month, shelving it indefinitely.”

He later added that “the prospect of a dedicated Atlantis movie has always been contingent on a number of things, among them a financially sound model for investment predicated on the strength of the franchise. The cancellation of Universe deals a blow to the strength. Furthermore, any focus that may have been aimed at making the SGA movies now that MGM is once again moving forward into production will now be redirected to SGU.”

Mallozzi noted that DVD sales have greatly diminished since Atlantis was released on DVD. With SGU’s second season having recently wrapped, with the sets still standing, and with the cast and crew still being available, SGU represents the most cost-effective way to keep the franchise going right now.

What do you think? Will Stargate Universe be saved? Will the Stargate Atlantis movie ever get made?

Jedi Master Sean January 28, 2011 at 12:07 am

Stargate is and always has been my favorite show, I get so upset even when show gets delayed for TV viewing, We all must help Mr. Mallozzi out and the franchise by purchasing their DVD Sets and or downloading the episodes. This way they get the help to keep this excellent TV show going. SGU is a great show, the only negative thing I have to say is that this series in developing too slowly. We NEED more technical stuff and cool twists. For instance where the heck are Ancient hand weapons. That would have been AWESOME!

Keep this show alive as it will be a great series to follow.

Jay January 25, 2011 at 9:22 am

SGU was dull and boring, but I didnt think that until it got me to catch up on the SG1 and SGA episodes. Atlantis is an awesome show that had 20 times more in each episode than 1 SGU ep. With such a story cannon someone has to pick up and continue on it in some form, right?!

Anonymous January 24, 2011 at 11:06 am

I am sure they will find a way to make a new story like on any of the series Stargate-
I love the shows and will watch repeat episodes. I do hope that they will make SGA because I feel that that show was not finnished maybe what they can do is meet up these two SGA and SGU then they can all travel together LOL! I just want something to watch on Sify and hopefully they make if intresting and fun like this series of shows.

Patrick M January 20, 2011 at 10:23 pm

It seems like each series is just a spin off of the original SG1..find something new (the stargate, atlantis, destiny) figure out how to working it and run into a bad guy. Than you have the same spin off episodes a deadly bug, narrow death escape each time they do something…theres no surprise anymore! Take a risk and make the show new and exciting but keep to the original theme! Everyone wants SGA back and for you to not cancel SGU…cant you merge the 2 together??? I buy all the box sets out there so my money should count on some level!!!!!!!!!!!

corey January 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I have been a stargate fan since 1997, the cancellation of SGU sucked! They should hurry up and bring back SGA for another five seasons, a movie as well. They should try and continue SGU and maybe three or four movies. But we can only hope that MGM will come up out of this bankruptcy in hopes of continuing the stargate franchise.

Ricardo January 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Lamentable, la serie iba mejorando…, yo pagaba a mi cable operadoe scfy solo por SGU, sin duda cancelare mi subscripcion, en dos lugares q tenia.

Colin January 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Can’t say I’m surprised. I stopped watching this about 5 episodes in. It was pure drivel. Bring back SG-1 and/or Atlantis!

Whatever!! January 10, 2011 at 11:15 am

Michael Shanks, Ben Browder & Joe Flanigan get their own Stargate Spinoff. Honestly I’d watch that. lol

SyFyMakesReallyBadDecisions January 10, 2011 at 11:13 am

I agree with Watcher whole heartedly. I wish they would bring back Atlantis or create a new spin off that was true to the original show and fan base. What is wrong with these networks. Be true to your fans, and they will be true to your bottom line. WAKE UP!!!

Overandback January 10, 2011 at 6:55 am

I watched StarGate Atlantis on the Movie Network . I saw the last show having no idea it was the last one. (no internet at the time) It took a while before I realized it was over. Still don’t know why they cancelled it. Last fall was my first opportunity to watch SGU. A network ran 4or5 first season episodes then dropped it. I don’t think I could ever have got’en into it. The difference between SGA and SGU was like night and day. Makes me wonder how network heads operate.

China January 8, 2011 at 2:11 am

You know… I bit my tongue when they cancelled Atlantis… I was shocked and outraged. Then they turn around and bring us this Stargate Universe which is no where near as good as SG1 or Atlantis… different… but I adore the background into the histories, the cultures, the Ancients and all that was the part I loved the most about the Stargate World. Not the drama aspects of the Destiny crew.

But this is not about that… this is about how you say that the DVD sales are not doing as well… well have you thought that maybe… just maybe that is the channels own stupidity of it all???? Mid-series breaks? What the heck is this sort of nonsense?? Where half the season is avabilbe on DVD, then in the Spring/Summer the second half can be bought, then again… the whole season can be bought in a box set. What sort of stupid money hungry idiot thinks of this stuff ?

No wonder why great series are no longer being produced. Its because they have lost their fan base because of things like this. Taking a break from airing a show in the middle of year. Two weeks I can understand.. but months?

Think about it… if there was a TV show that was not repeating episodes during this time, did it not enter into your small narrow little mind SyFy people that people would actually tune in?

Watcher January 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm

SGU always felt more like a Battlestar Galactica spinoff than a series that was part of the Star Gate legacy. I’ve watched all the Star Gate material up to SGU but I just couldn’t get interested in it. Wrong look, wrong feel, wrong tone for the show. I had been waiting for that SGA movie but the comments from the executive producer show the franchise has rejected it’s root fan base and is dedicated to the more depressing style of the Battlestar Galactica space operas.

So as far as I’m concerned the Star Gate franchised has died. I’ll catch the real Stargates on reruns occasionally and remember when the series stayed true to its fans. There’s supposed to be some sort of successor to Caprica that should be should be right for the BSG & SGU fans. Unfortunately I haven’t heard of anything that might appeal to real Stargate fans.

Gwen January 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm

SGU was the best show Syfy has ever put on. The only show I would put on hold anything else in my life when it was on. To me it was the best of the 3, bringing back a touch of “Lost in Space” with more believable stories. I loved it dearly and breaks my heart to hear it cancelled. Syfy seems to have a habit of leaving us hanging with good shows. I’m getting tired of it. And moving it from Friday to Tuesday didn’t help any. Move Warehouse 13, that show is just silly. I can skip that one without a thought. Thanks again SyFy for killing another winner just cause your dvd sales were low.. hello? economy sucks right now..

Zaps January 6, 2011 at 5:35 am

As disappointed as I am to see what looks like the end for the Stargate franchise, I have to say that I have been expecting this, nor do I really disagree with the decision to shut down Universe.

SGU just hasn’t felt like it is in keeping with the Stargate ‘universe’ for lack of a better term. The episodes are dull and boring, there is not one lovable character. In order to make the characters feel relate able, the characters have instead become alienating and annoying. A whining teenage boy, a depressed captain, a megalomaniac alien technology specialist with incompetent underlings, a soft, idiotic, lesbian international community goon ,and a self-pitying doctor are characters i feel no attachment to.

I think I’ll just go back to my box set of SG-1 (minus the last two seasons) and wish the glory days of RDA, Amanda Tapping, and Don Davis were still around. I’ll probably even pick up a box set of Atlantis. As for SGU, sadly, it is better left on the shelf at the store.

SYFY Steve January 5, 2011 at 4:40 am

SGU is the ONLY show i watch on tv, all the rest are soooooo predictable !!!
SYFY you REALLY NEED TO KEEP THIS SHOW !!!!! i don’t know anyway else to say it !