Street Hawk: Rex Smith Wants Your Help on Street Hawk Resurrection

Street HawkBack in 1985, ABC aired an action series called Street Hawk. The TV show revolves around public relations cop Jesse Mach (Rex Smith) who gets recruited for a top secret government project — piloting a high-tech and incredibly fast motorcycle. Norman Tuttle (Joe Regalbuto) is the cycle’s inventor and the only one who knows that Mach is actually the mysterious Street Hawk. Other recurring characters are played by Richard Venture, Jeannie Wilson, Raymond Singer, and R.J. Adams

Despite running for just one short season, Street Hawk has attracted a cult following. Smith says he still gets stopped by “men of a certain age” and thinks it’s time for a new version.

He recently told the Daily Record, “I am currently developing a script for a new re-envisioned Street Hawk along with my oldest son Brandon, called Street Hawk Resurrection.”

The actor/singer continued, “Universal Studios has shown interest in the project and I would like to ask all the fans of Street Hawk to e-mail me so that I may show the executives at Universal just what kind of support I have for a new series.”

What do you think? Is the time right for a new, updated version of Street Hawk?

Canceled and renewed TV show

35 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. John Fowler says

Yes Yes Yes,please bring back Street Hawk,i loved this show,got the boxset on dvd,i loved the theme music,and i got so pumped up when Jesse came flying out of those doors on Street Hawk to hunt down another criminal.

2. Mel says

I loved street hawk so when i heard i was being released on dvd i had to get it.i would love for it to be on the air again.

3. Gary Payne says

As a kid back in the 80’s Knight Rider & Airwolf were my 2 fav tv show,
    As far as I was concerned nothing could beat micheal knight or stringfellow hawk.

Then I discovered Jessie Mach & Street Hawk, saying I was blown away is an understatement, the opening was great, the story lines kept me hooked, even the music was awsome, as a kid I wore out Street Hawk the movie on VHS, then suddenly there was a tv show, as quickly as it started it was over : (

I’m now 44.. I have the pilot & all episodes on DVD, I still watch the show & from time to time browse the net to see if there maybe a chance of a remake.

If I had a big pot of money right, I’d commission a new series & I’d have Rex Smith in it passing the rains/ handlebars to Jessie Machs son the new pilot of street hawk..

I wait with bated breath……………

• Dave says

i dunno about jesse son but that would be awesome man! Im 32 and that was my favorite show as a kid no question. I loved that super vehicle era- streethawk, knight rider, airwolf- all brilliant but the best was streethawk by far. I cant belive how much i still buzz (just like when i was a kid) about hyperthrust! the sped up streetlights were fantastic. just watching a docuentary about it now and apparently some guy bought all the streethawk bikes for $3200!!! i wish id have known!!

4. Darren butterworth says

Super tv show in the 80s but don’t go to mad xx look at the new knight rider show was a flop so keep it real if the is going to be a new tv show x

5. Ron Chilson says

I had an I dea for a new series as well, but the idea I had was for the original characters to train a whole new team. I was in a sense thinking in the same manner that you were. Still if you already started the script then you must know what you want. What I was thinking is that Jessie finds another police officer with the same abilities that he had, and finds a way to recruit him for the new team, and Norman has the same situation happem to him as well.

I also thought that the bike could maybe have a hover-craft mode installed for going in places that the original couldn’t. These are of course only suggestions, and it is your choice as to what you want to do, but don’t exclude these ideas if you need to use them. I absolutely won’t mind if you do use them. Thank you for at least giving me this one chance to address one of my all time favorite actors, and also thank you for the chance to submit these ideas for your approval.

6. Wex says

Just finished watching street hawk again. I can honestly say the last time i saw it was on betamax in the 80s.. I did think it wouldnt be as good as i remembered but you know what it was. I really hope you do bring it back. There are alot of guys in our thirtys now cough cough that were kids when we used to watch it and they have said to me that they would love to see it remade.

Why they cancelled it i will never know. And so soon. Good news is that it is on dvd.

• Ron Chilson says

I know just whot you mean. My favorite is the end of the pilot. You know that part where he does the backflip with the bike. I also liked the way it seemed to roar when ever he used vertical life to just the bike over things and people. It was a little like Airwolf combined with Knight Rider. Incredible ground speed mixed with amazing airborne tricks. I also hope to see the series go farther as well.

7. Dawn says

I would really love to see the show back on… big time!!! I loved it. I have to ask if it will be coming back? It is a couple years since this post … so….

8. Manuel Anschütz says

Hallo!!
    Die Serie sollte auf jedenfall fortgesetzt werden!!
    Die war leider viel zu früh zu ende!!
    Ein Remake wäre echt super!!Und es würde sich bestimmt lohnen!!!
    mfg
    Manuel Anschütz

9. Jerold Ponder says

yes i would love to see another mega force remake. please keep me informed of the progress. it was my favorite show im facinated with motorcycles

10. Kathleen says

I loved this show and recently found that you could get them on Netflix. When my husband (same age, same generation as me) said he had never seen the show I put all of the episodes into our queue. His comment after the first episode on disc 1– It’s very 1985ish but I’m kinda hooked, let’s watch the next one. And so, we’re about 3 episodes of being caught up with the full season. Since they’re redoing all of the old shows (see Hawaii 5-0) I think that a new Street Hawk would be a millions times better than a new Knight Rider. (But I may be biased since I’d much rather see Rex Smith without his shirt than Hasselhoff)

11. Nick says

This was and still is one of my favorite shows, i had a friend from the U.S. send me a copy on dvd as it was aired on bravo tv. I never missed the show. They should do a remake as there are some younger fans of the show that have seen it and liked it. It brings back all the memories of being a child again.

12. Cristina says

Uma vez quando criança assisti um filme, lembro-me de ficar apaixonada pelo belo rapaz chamado Rex Smith, posteriormente pude apreciar seu trabalho novamente em Street Hawk. Talentoso, ótimo cantor. Gostaria de ver mais trabalhos e apreciá-lo com outros olhos, deixei de ser criança faz tempo porém lembrar desses momentos é algo que não tem preço.

13. vishwanath says

One of my fav child hood shows….loved the theme song.I espc remember the blinking floor lights at the begining, and being pissed if I missed the intro lol

14. says

Thanks to Comcast, Universal Media Studios is bringing Street Hawk back in the Disney-ABC Television Group fold once more – before Rex Smith can ride the motorcycle back,
    and the Alphabet Network is developing a new reimagining of the classic but ill-fated and
    critically acclaimed action hour alongside Scott (Swaps, Downfall) St. John, best known to television as “The Snot.”