Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: Renewal Chances Come Apart?

Studio 60 castThough the NBC network hasn’t officially cancelled Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, there’s yet another indication that the Aaron Sorkin series is done.

Rob Owen of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has reported that the sets for Studio 60 have been “dismantled” on the Warner Bros. soundstage. True, show sets are often taken apart and stored away during a show’s hiatus to make room for other production. But this sounds different. This sounds like the “we don’t need these sets anymore” kind of deconstruction that would cost big bucks to undo.

But wait! Maybe Sorkin’s planning to do next season with a minimalist set? I mean, they tried an expensive set, how about a cheap one? It could work. Couldn’t it? Maybe? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

12 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. julie says

I am an avid viewer in the Uk where we are about to see the last episode tomorrow night. To hear that this brilliant show is not being commissioned for another series is unbelievable. WHY ???

2. Rosa says

Hi! I live in Chihuahua, Mexico, and my friends and enjoy Studio 60.There’s so few intellingent programs with no violence on tv. NBC principals: Don’t take away this wonderful, well writen, smart and funny show. Please think about what are you offering to people.

3. morgan says

My wife and I are avid fans of the show. We are expecting our first child and installed TIVO in case we would miss an episode of Studio 60 after he was born. Hopefully our purchase was not a mistake!

4. jonmeister says

I love this show, just watched the season/series finale. Unfortunately, NBC only cares about ratings, yet doesn’t understand how to garner them. They cancel before a fan base can be implemented on shows like this one, that has been nominated for Golden Globe awards, etc. And then they replace them with worse alternatives that no one watches. i.e. “The Black Donnelly’s”, “Age of Love” I wish they would renew the show, but the way it was wrapped up, and the fact that my DVR said it was a series finale, I think it is the end for this wonderfully, fresh, innovative show.

5. Anon... says

Maureen is OBVIOUSLY someone who watches the show. Who else by a die hard fan would know enough to call it Studio CITY???
    Keep the show. There are so few shows on TV that I am excited to see pop up in my TiVo “Now Playing” List. I watched “Shark” tonight for the first time. How does this show which is nothing more than a Law-n-Order rip off get to stay on the air and a fresh show like Studio 60 is given the bum’s rush off the air?

6. Zachary says

This is why I stopped watching network television: If it doesn’t reach that profitable demographic or garner the largest ad dollars, then let’s drop it and pop in another reality show. And everybody knows you can create a reality show about washing the dinner dishes and it will be a money tree, right?

So let’s kill a program that’s relatively intelligent and emotionally stimulating. Then we’ll simmer through a summer of ER reruns to look forward to the premier of the next great reality sensation… UGH

7. Maureen Webb says

Studio City is the best show on T.V. since The West Wing and NYPD Blue. I too, am sick of watching any more t.v. because as soon as you get in to the characters they pull the show. When are you going to start giving shows a chance to gain an audience. Studio City is one of the only intelligent, well written programs on. I have really had it with NBC.

8. Lee Fitz says

Please keep it rocking cuz we love it and there’s not much left on air that’s the least bit intellegent So we need this show. Great cast, writing, clever direction, and multi leveled storytelling
    Go NBC Go. Just say yes, more Studio 60.

9. Anonymous says

PLEASE don’t take this show off the air. It’s the ONLY show my husband and I look forward to watching. It’s smart, funny, interesting, well thought out and the characters and story line are awesome! It won’t be long before all we have to watch is each other in these stupid ‘reality-based” shows, which by the way are far from anyone’s reality. There are still some educated people out here who appreciate an intelligent drama.

10. Ken says

All of this on again, off again.
    I’ve had it. I wish NBC (and all of the stidios really) would stop yanking my chain.

I don’t think I’m going to start watching new shows anymore until they have been on for a season. Then I’ll just get the DVD.
    That way I can save myself the heartache of getting attached to a show only to have it pulled after 5 episodes because the network didn’t sell enough GAP Jeans to 21 year olds.