CW Orders More Episodes for Supernatural, 90210, Nikita, and Gossip Girl

The Vampire DiariesThere’s good news for four of The CW’s returning dramas. The smallest network has ordered some additional episodes even before the season has started.

The CW has asked for two more installments each for season five of Gossip Girl and season four of 90210. That brings their season episode totals to 24 each.

Additionally, the network has ordered one more episode for Nikita’s second season and one more for Supernatural’s seventh season, bringing each to 23 installments.

The Vampire Diaries is noticeably absent and that TV series will stay at 22 installments. CW President Mark Pedowitz said today that they would love to have more episodes for season three but could not achieve them on a production basis. He noted that “I’d rather have a great 22 than 24 [that are not].”

What do you think? Which of these show are you looking forward to seeing the most?

NIAJ September 20, 2011 at 11:20 am

I LOVE NIKITA!!!!! And VD too. Glad they are both back. I hope Nikita watchers are able to watch on Friday. Usually moving to Friday is like a bad thing :-(

MK August 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Looking forward to Vamp Diaries, Supernatural and Nikita (glad that one’s coming back at all!)

Craig August 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I believe the CW wanted to give all five series 24 episodes. The fact that the teen soap operas did get to 24 episodes is probably just a reflection on how much easier it is to make a soap opera episode than it is to make an episode of an action oriented series. The issue isn’t about what the network thought about these five, but about how weak the new series coming in the fall are going to be. You don’t try to bump up the episode count for your strong shows unless you are worried about having to cancel the new ones even before they have gotten to the viewers.

Kat August 6, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Ohh, good point. Now I’m worried about the quality of the new shows!

Grandizer August 5, 2011 at 12:41 am

Nikita followed by Vampire Diaries.

Samara August 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Great news about “Supernatural”! But, I am still sad about “Hellcats”!

Kat August 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm

It seems typical that the CW would order two additional episodes for their teen-centric shows and only one more each for their action-oriented shows (by far, more excited for those than the teen shows), but I’m not worried or disappointed about The Vampire Diaries not getting any additional episodes — maybe it’s just a sign that the vampire craze is waning among teens.

Dave August 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Love Supernatural and Nikita but really miss Legend of the Seeker and Reaper most of all!!

MK August 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I’m with you Dave. Reaper WAS a great show. Every time I see Brett on his new show or when Ray Wise was on “Chuck” I remember it and wish it would return.