Supernatural: Season Eight Ratings

Supernatural season 8 ratingsIt looked like Supernatural was headed for cancellation when it was sent packing to Friday nights. It performed well enough in the ratings that The CW decided to move it back to a regular weeknight. Will the series continue to be one of the network’s best performers? Stay tuned.

The eighth season of Supernatural typically airs Wednesday nights on The CW network. It features the talents of Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, and Misha Collins.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Supernatural will be cancelled or renewed for season nine.

Final season averages: 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.13 million total viewers.

Episode 08-23: Wednesday, 05/15/13
1.0 in the demo (0% change) with 2.31 million (+12% change).
Season averages: 0.92 in the demo with 2.13 million.

Episode 08-22: Wednesday, 05/08/13
1.0 in the demo (+11% change) with 2.07 million (0% change).
Season averages: 0.92 in the demo with 2.12 million.

Episode 08-21: Wednesday, 05/01/13
0.9 in the demo (-10% change) with 2.07 million (-13% change).
Season averages: 0.91 in the demo with 2.12 million.

Episode 08-20: Wednesday, 04/24/13
1.0 in the demo (+25% change) with 2.38 million (+25% change).
Season averages: 0.92 in the demo with 2.13 million.

Episode 08-19: Wednesday, 04/03/13
0.8 in the demo (-20% change) with 1.90 million (-15% change).
Season averages: 0.91 in the demo with 2.11 million.

Episode 08-18: Wednesday, 03/27/13
1.0 in the demo (0% change) with 2.23 million (+3% change).
Season averages: 0.92 in the demo with 2.13 million.

Episode 08-17: Wednesday, 03/20/13
1.0 in the demo (+11% change) with 2.16 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 0.91 in the demo with 2.12 million.

Episode 08-16: Wednesday, 02/27/13
0.9 in the demo (0% change) with 2.13 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 0.91 in the demo with 2.12 million.

Episode 08-15: Wednesday, 02/20/13
0.9 in the demo (-10% change) with 2.10 million (-13% change).
Season averages: 0.91 in the demo with 2.12 million.

Episode 08-14: Wednesday, 02/13/13
1.0 in the demo (0% change) with 2.41 million (+5% change).
Season averages: 0.91 in the demo with 2.12 million.

UPDATE: The show has been renewed for a ninth season by The CW.

Episode 08-13: Wednesday, 02/06/13
1.0 in the demo (+11% change) with 2.29 million (+8% change).
Season averages: 0.90 in the demo with 2.10 million.

Episode 08-12: Wednesday, 01/30/13
0.9 in the demo (0% change) with 2.12 million (+6% change).
Season averages: 0.89 in the demo with 2.08 million.

Episode 08-11: Wednesday, 01/23/13
0.9 in the demo (0% change) with 2.01 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 0.89 in the demo with 2.08 million.

Episode 08-10: Wednesday, 01/16/13
0.9 in the demo (0% change) with 1.99 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 0.89 in the demo with 2.08 million.

CW TV show ratingsEpisode 08-09: Wednesday, 12/05/12
0.9 in the demo (+13% change) with 2.06 million (+3% change).
Season averages: 0.89 in the demo with 2.09 million.

Episode 08-08: Wednesday, 11/28/12
0.8 in the demo (-20% change) with 2.00 million (-14% change).
Season averages: 0.89 in the demo with 2.10 million.

Episode 08-07: Wednesday, 11/14/12
1.0 in the demo (0% change) with 2.33 million (0% change).
Season averages: 0.90 in the demo with 2.11 million.

Episode 08-06: Wednesday, 11/07/12
1.0 in the demo (+25% change) with 2.32 million (+30% change).
Season averages: 0.88 in the demo with 2.08 million.

Episode 08-05: Wednesday, 10/31/12
0.8 in the demo (+14% change) with 1.78 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 0.86 in the demo with 2.03 million.

Episode 08-04: Wednesday, 10/24/12
0.7 in the demo (-30% change) with 1.86 million (-13% change).
Season averages: 0.88 in the demo with 2.09 million.

Episode 08-03: Wednesday, 10/17/12
1.0 in the demo (0% change) with 2.13 million (-15% change).
Season averages: 0.93 in the demo with 2.16 million.

Episode 08-02: Wednesday, 10/10/12
1.0 in the demo (+25% change) with 2.51 million (+36% change).
Season averages: 0.90 in the demo with 2.18 million.

Episode 08-01: Wednesday, 10/03/12
0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.85 million total viewers.
Season average: 0.80 in the demo with 1.85 million.

The eighth season premiere’s demo was on par with last season’s Friday night debut. It was down by 8% in viewership. It’s difficult to judge this opening considering that it was airing opposite the Presidential debate on the four other networks.

What do you think? Do you still like the Supernatural TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a ninth season?

Amazon.com Widgets

Samantha Gladd January 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Please do not cancel Supernatural!! It is one of the few GREAT shows on TV!!!! It has a cult following that supports the show. Also..it is important to notice that drops in viewing were during the holiday season..I always DVR the show if I am not going to be home!!

Jo January 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm

PLEASE do not cancel this show! Season 7 wasn’t my faavorite but season 8 is great! Don’t give up on this show because of a few ratings slides!

Debbie January 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Please do not cancel. Supernatural, I am looking forward to see season 9, but I am glad and hope this thing with Sam and Amelia, is over

Lynne January 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL this show. It’s one of my all time favorites. I’ll be so upset if yet another show that I love is cancelled once again.

sharon January 18, 2013 at 12:32 pm

DO NOT cancel. This is one of my favorite shows. I have not missed an episode ever. Some episodes are better than others, of course, and sometimes I want the “monster of the week” to come back, but in all, this has been a good season. I think Benny is a great addition to the show and I hope to see more of him.

Lacey January 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm

If your a TRUE fan you wont walk away because of a couple bad episodes! ! You need to take the good with the bad, because its so called fan like Drew who might get this amazing show cancelled ! ! I beileve Jensen stated at a convention last year, If one bad episode make you walk away after 100+ Good episodes your not a true fan!

Susan January 11, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Still loving the show and the cast.. I am annoyed that Bobby was killed off…he was a major part of the show. But Dean and Sam and Cas still have it. Please no more seasons like season 7…that was the worst.

PS January 10, 2013 at 10:44 pm

TWO OF THE BEST LOOKING MALES IN TV… PLEASE KEEP THEM ON…I NEED MY DAILY DOSE OF JENSEN AND JARED….:)

Holly bell December 27, 2012 at 4:52 am

I love this show and do not want to see it get cancelled but you need to get back to the basics with Sam and Dean, also please bring Cass back into the fold. I don’t like the direction Sams character has is headed in but I do like the fact that he finally found love. Please come back for season nine but get the guys back on track. Also Dean needs a new love interest, preferably a bad girl that can handle herself in a fight. Thanks for sticking around for season eight….

Robert Schnyder December 15, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Its a great show I dont think it should be cancelled. I think cass needs to be in the show more. I mean come on he’s wonderful, and putting sam dean and cass in an episode together has always turned out great. I love this show and I hope it doesnt get cancelled.

Drew December 13, 2012 at 11:48 am

I couldn’t stand what Carver was doing to my favorite show anymore, I had to stop watching after 8-07, and from the looks of these ratings, I’m not the only one. Viewers fell -14% and -11% from the baseline of 2.32 million, meaning 320,000 and 270,000 didn’t watch the last two episodes. (The previous drops were due to the World Series and a basketball pre-emption and not yet having Arrow as a lead-in for the premiere. In normal circumstances, the average has been 2.32 million.)

And the ratings aren’t actually better than Sera’s seasons. The ratings experts say you have to add 30% to Friday ratings to compare them to weekday ratings, to make up for the much smaller viewer pool on Fridays. So season 7 was getting 0.85 to 1.0, in weekday terms, pretty much the same as what season 8 is getting. And season 7 had the lowest rated lead-in on the network, whereas season 8 has the best possible lead-in with Arrow. As soon as Arrow premiered, Supernatural’s live numbers went up 0.2 and its DVR numbers went down 0.2. So it’s not actually new viewers so much as viewers who used to DVR now watching live because it’s on a weekday and being paired with Arrow gives them a good reason to spend the evening in front of the TV.

I still want the show to do well for the fans who still enjoy it and all the cast and crew who work so hard on it, they deserve their 10 seasons. But I have to walk away. I’ve seen a lot of fans say they’re giving it until the end of this season before they stop watching, so hopefully Carver will have fixed things by then so ratings don’t drop for season 9. Maybe I’ll start watching again if he does, but I doubt that he will fix things in a way that allows me to enjoy the show again.

It’m heartbroken Carver turned my horror show about brothers who would die for each other into a soap opera about brothers would leave each other for dead.

I can understand how fans who are all about Dean and Cas and who enjoy dragging Sam through the mud might like this season. But I like Sam and the brothers’ relationship, and Carver is assassinating both of those. He’s writing Dean out of character as well, although it’s not being acknowledged. All the while Dean was pillorying Sam for not looking for a way to get Dean out, Dean was not looking for a way to get Cas out, instead making Sam believe he saw Cas die when Cas was very much still alive. That’s not the Dean Winchester I know and love. Dean would’ve tried to rescue Cas, just as Sam would’ve tried to rescue Dean. Cas is actually the only one of the three who is acting in character, after two seasons of being written off the reservation. But I can’t watch the show with what Carver is doing to Sam and Dean.

On top of that, the show is out of character as well. It used to be a fun, action-packed genre show with “no chick flick moments” drama. Now it’s a soap opera full of melodrama, romance, relationship troubles, emoting, etc. It’s weird people accuse Sera of feminizing the show when she chose as her themes Film Noir and Butch and Sundance, and it’s actually Carver who is turning Supernatural into Soapernatural.

obi December 13, 2012 at 6:51 am

I love it so far, especially the flashbacks to Sam and Amelia’s normal, boring, apple-pie life. It highlights that Sam is still the same at his core, longing for safety and normalcy. I WOULD like to see him and Dean more supportive of each other, instead of the same old lies and half-truths and deceptions going around (like Sam going after Benny and Dean betraying Sam by forcing him to panic over the thought that yet another woman he loved might be in danger, because that was cruel and unusual for Dean). But I’m loving Benny and the MOTW episodes, so I’m hopful that there’ll be another season after this.

Sara December 12, 2012 at 8:58 pm

The Purgatory storyline/flashbacks in S8 have been fantastic, IMO; and they have rejuvenated this show after two and a half seasons of lackluster. More of that awesomeness please, Mr.Carver.

CMG December 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm

This season has been a real step up in various ways. Still not quite as good as season 4 but much better than last season and season 6. Finally they once again have Dean doing something more interesting this season than moping around and drinking, and Cas has more involvement and low and behold..the show improves, and the ratings go up. Funny that!

Cairn December 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I don’t want it cancelled yet. This year has been a big improvement over the last two years. Dean is finally acting like Dean again, a little rough around the edges, badass and sharp as can be as a hunter but deeply caring and loyal as they come, Cas is back, Benny has been a great addition who I hope gets to stick around for a while as the friendship with Dean is great, Sam looks like he might finally be forced to take responsibility for his actions and relationships and grow up, which can only be a plus and a big step in the right direction of getting Dean and Sam’s relationship back on track again. The only downside is bland, boring Amelia, who hopefully will go back to Don and get off the show soon.