Surviving Jack: Christopher Meloni Sitcom Cancelled by FOX

survivingjack02Christopher Meloni had a long run on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit but his FOX sitcom didn’t last. Surviving Jack has been cancelled after one season.

Surviving Jack revolves around Dunlevy family. A no-nonsense father (Christopher Meloni) starts tough-love parenting his teenage kids (Connor Buckley and Claudia Lee) while his wife returns to college (Rachael Harris). Others in the cast include Kevin Hernandez and Tyler Foden.

The series was originally supposed to have 13 episodes this season but the network cut the order down to eight installments. That’s never a good sign.

Surviving Jack has been drawing poor ratings on Thursday nights, following American Idol. The six episodes that have aired so far have averaged a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.35 million total viewers.

The series finale is scheduled for next Thursday, May 15th.

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season of Surviving Jack? If you ran the network, would you have cancelled this sitcom?

Canceled and renewed TV show

223 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Brian says

This is a great show! My family LOVES this show!!!!! We can’t believe it’s getting cancelled. That is ridiculous! PLEASE RETHINK THIS CANCELLATION!

2. Sherri says

I have never given any comments on the internet before but I had to this time. What is Fox thinking? This is an awesome show, great cast, who have chemistry together. I have to admit I didn’t to get to watch every episode but its because Fox kept moving the time slot around. First it was on Sundays, then Thursdays @ 7:30, then also at 9:30. Fox what are you thinking??… give this show a chance. I think you are making a big mistake.

3. Maria says

It is a great show.
    I watch it in canada on ctv at 730 pm Pacific.
    I do not watch american idol. Boring.
    8 episodes is not enough. We had friends over who have never seen the show.
    They can not believe it was cancelled.
    another network needs to pick this one up.

4. Terri Wilber says

This show was really worth keeping. So disappointed!!!! Great writing, great cast, very funny…such a bummer.

5. Bethany says

Why, Fox, why? This show is smart, hilarious and a welcome reprieve from the normal network TV sitcom. So why did you feel the need to cancel it without ever really giving it a chance? I absolutely love it and thoroughly protest its cancellation. Please reconsider!

6. The truth says

Fox can kiss my jack sick of this network rubing good shows can’t wait tonsimpsons and family guy ends then they’ll be in the Toliet they can even carry the Super Bowl right fu fox

7. Peggy says

Can’t believe this show was cancelled as it was really funny and had such a great cast! Christopher Meloni was hilarious — reminded me of my Army dad growing up! I also don’t understand why the 55+ demographic is ignored and am likewise sick of all the reality shows.

8. Alicia & Daran Brown says

WHY! WHY! WHY! This is family show that is hilarious and very clean. This show we and about 30 other couples in our small community watch it to. We live for it to come on :) This who is clean and funny like real situations and some of them you can relate to to as an adult and then laugh about it. That is what this show provides and what we need more of today (FUN CLEAN LAUGHTER). This show should stay on or should I say what can I do to keep the show on TV?????????????? I am willing to do what needs to be done to keep Surviving Jack on TV!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Alicia Brown

9. Lindsay says

This show is really excellent. I wish Fox gave it more of a chance. I didn’t even know it was on until I read an article about it and then I watched all the previous episodes On Demand to catch up. Maybe another station or Netflix will pick it up, because it really is fantastic.

10. ckid says

I really like this show. I’ve gotten some great parenting tips that I want to try. Sorry to hear of the cancellation. My cable subscription consists of over 150 stations and I can count on one hand how many shows I actually enjoy, Surviving Jack being one of them. I think I need to start rethinking my budget for tv entertainment.

11. Lisa says

Can’t believe they are canceling this show.. Brings back memories of my. Days.. Such a great show to not cancel.. Chris Meloni is awesome!!