Surviving Jack

survivingjack09Network: FOX
Episodes: Eight (half-hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: March 27, 2014 — May 15, 2014
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Christopher Meloni, Rachael Harris, Connor Buckley, Claudia Lee, Kevin Hernandez, and Tyler Foden.

current TV show

TV show description:
Set in the 1990s, this single-camera comedy is based on the autobiographical book I Suck at Girls by Justin Halpern (Sh*t My Dad Says).

Jack Dunlevy (Christopher Meloni) is an ex-military oncologist who’s also a no-bull kind of guy. He sees little, if any, need to sugar-coat the truth. Jack’s been a typical working dad who left most of the parenting to his stay-at-home wife. But now, his wife Joanne (Rachael Harris) is starting law school and this leaves Jack as a full-time parent for the very first time.

Their teenage son Frankie (Connor Buckley) is just starting his freshman year in high school. He’s quick-witted but unsure of himself and just wants to fly under the radar. But over the summer, he grew 10 inches, threw a no-hitter against a rival team, and started to attract girls. These events started getting him noticed which put him in some awkward situations that he wasn’t ready for.

No matter how embarrassing Frankie’s situations are, Jack is there to pick up the pieces and lead his son to manhood — with the least gentle hand possible. Although Jack may be unorthodox and unfiltered, his intentions are always good however and he’s Frankie’s only resource right now.

Even more confusing to Jack is his daughter, Rachel (Claudia Lee), a gorgeous and super-smart 17-year-old high school junior. Up until now, she’s done everything right. But no longer under the watchful eye of her mother, she has become a handful.

In addition to disciplining his own children, Jack looks out for Frankie’s best friends. George (Kevin Hernandez) is an overly confident Mexican-American with a big vocabulary while Mikey (Tyler Foden) is a tough kid from a broken home.

Only time will tell if Jack’s blunt and unpredictable parenting style will keep his kids out of trouble — or if Joanne will have to put down the law books and step in to keep the family order.
space

Series Finale

Episode #TBD
This TV series has not ended yet.
First aired: TBD

space
What do you think? Do you like the Surviving Jack TV series? Do you think it should have been cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Anonymous May 12, 2014 at 9:24 am

Best new comedy show!! -

judy branch May 11, 2014 at 7:43 pm

love this show best one on tv cant you just leave things alone one mor season come on two broke girls really

RG May 11, 2014 at 8:04 am

This was my favorite new show! The cast is wonderful and the plot is funny. I hate to see it go!!

Pissed-Off May 11, 2014 at 2:12 am

One of the best shows on tv, the dad is not a milk-toast idiot that the kids make fun of and there is actually some disciple from loving parents. He may show some tough love but he is always there for them when it counts. Fox needs to keep this show going or they will loose me most evenings.

Judy Bolen May 10, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Love love love this show. Please keep it on!!!!

Rachel S May 10, 2014 at 10:57 pm

This show is hilarious! How could they cancel it? It had an awesome cast!

Larence Hartman May 10, 2014 at 4:35 pm

What in the world are they thinking over there. This show is awesome. Yet they keep idol, the Simpsons, and bobs burger all of which have jumped the shark long ago.

Corey Lankford May 10, 2014 at 1:22 pm

What are you folks thinking cancelling this show?! This is one of the funniest comedies that are on right now. You didn’t even give the show a chance to get established! This really pisses me off. There are so many ho hum shows that you keep around forever and one that is actually laugh out loud funny gets the axe right away. Just saw that Americal Idol is auditioning for season 14. Really? talk about something that needs to be cancelled.

Alison May 10, 2014 at 11:41 am

This show is hilarious. I love the way they parent and their relationship. The music is awesome. This is how I was raised in the 90’s. Surviving Jack was one show I looked forward to watching each week. Fox needs to pull it together and bring this show back.

Karen May 10, 2014 at 10:27 am

I cannot believe this was cancelled!! Is one of the very few shows that I find funny. I would hope that the ones deciding to cancel it would reconsider and renew for one more season. The cast is great and so much of it is very on point regarding what a parent goes through raising teenagers.

Anke May 10, 2014 at 7:21 am

LOVE THIS SHOW!!! I can’t believe it got cancelled, it’s our new favorite show!

Gail May 10, 2014 at 12:28 am

I do not watch comedies because they are not funny. Surviving Jack IS FUNNY. This is laugh out loud funny. What were these people when they decided to cancel this show. Get it a chance. I love this show. With all of the other crap on tv and they decide to cancel this show. They need to renew it but what do I know. I am only the consumer not a big wig.

Jan May 9, 2014 at 10:28 pm

BIG MISTAKE! This was a very funny and entertaining show. I loved the cast and am at a loss as to why it was not renewed. Once again, the BigWigs telling us what we should and should not like.

Kim Arthur May 9, 2014 at 10:28 pm

My husband and seen the commercial for this and wasn’t really sure if it was going to be any good, but we thought we would give it a chance. We were so glad we did, we LOVE this show, it’s so Funny! We are crossing our fingers that it comes back.

Annie Cravens May 9, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW. SURE HOPE IT RETURNS. FUNNY. GREAT CAST. A ‘FEEL GOOD’ SHOW!!!