Swingtown

SwingtownNetwork: CBS
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: June 5, 2008 — September 5, 2008
Series status: Cancelled/ended

Performers include: Molly Parker, Jack Davenport, Grant Show, Lana Parrilla, Josh Hopkins, Miriam Shor, Shanna Collins, Aaron Christian Howles, Brittany Robertson, Michael Rady, Nick Benson, Kate Norby, Rachelle Lefevre, Rick Peters, Kyle Searles, Erin Daniels, Bob Ross, Caitlin Custer, David Monahan, Latarsha Rose, and Mark Valley.

swingtown past TV show

TV show description:
It’s summer in 1976. Changes are happening in the U.S. of A. as it celebrates its Bicentennial.

Making a change in their own lives are stockbroker Bruce Miller (Jack Davenport) and his wife, Susan (Molly Parker), who move to a much more posh neighborhood in Chicago. New neighbors Tom and Trina Decker (Grant Show and Lana Parrilla) aren’t quite like anyone the Millers knew in their old neighborhood. The Decker’s open marriage and lifestyle raise the eyebrows of the Millers and their old friends, Roger and Janet Thompson (Josh Hopkins and Miriam Short).

Janet’s dislike of the Millers’ new swingin’ companions is palpable while Roger only hides his curiosity in order to please his wife. The tension between the former neighbors also causes a rift between the friendship of their sons, Bruce “B.J.” Miller (Aaron Howles) and Rick Thompson (Nick Benson).

While the couples experience the changing values of the decade, and the shifting dynamics of their relationships, the Millers’ teenage daughter, Laurie (Shanna Collins), is also testing the waters with her philosophy teacher, Doug Stephens (Michael Rady).

As the characters’ lives become more and more intertwined, they also become more complicated. Can their relationships with their spouses and friends swing forward or will they just spin out of control?

Cat May 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm

This was such a great show! Such a refreshing change from the reality/hospital/crime shows that monopolize tv today. I can’t believe they’re not bringing it back! There is just NOTHING to watch anymore! Get a hint, tv producers!

melody n.c May 24, 2009 at 12:28 pm

CBS WAKE UP AND GET RID OF THESE SUCK ASS SHOWS LIKE BIG BOTHER AMAZING RACE SURVIOR THOSE SHOES SUCK… BRING BACK REAL LIFE SHOWS LIKE SWINGTOWN. IT WAS REAL LIFE AND I GREW UP IN THE 70S WITH PARENTS WHO ENJOYED THAT LIFESTYLE AND I LOVE WATCHING THIS SHOW SO GET OFF YOUR BUTS CANCEL THE STUPID REALITY SHOWS AND BRING BACK THE REAL LIFE SHOWS PLEASE…….

Toni May 24, 2009 at 6:36 am

Please bring back the show, it was the only thing on in the summer that I truly enjoyed watching. It brought back many memories of my childhood wtih the music, clothes. If people are so opposed to the nature of the show, turn the channel and watch something else. There are a lot of shows I dislike because of the contents but I change the channel and watch what I like, because I can. Some of the daytime soaps are more racier than this show and the’re on during the time children are at home!

Sandy May 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm

PLEASE LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE….BRING BACK THE POPULAR SHOWS SAMATHA WHO, DIRTY SEXY MONEY AND SWINGTOWN….DON’T LEAVE US HANGING…GIVE US SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO WATCHING IN THE SUMMER…..WE ARE SO TIRED OF DANCING WITH THE STARS….

KEL May 22, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I’M VERY UPSET I JUST CAN’T EXPRESS…. I WAS LOOKIN’ FORWARD TO THE SHOW. THERE IS NOTHING EVER ON IN THE SUMMERTIME AND FROM THE FIRST TIME I WATCH IT, I GOT HOOKED…

Karol May 20, 2009 at 10:13 am

I LOVED IT!!! I am very upset about this show being cancelled. I don’t get into many shows but this one did it for me. I would rearrange my schedule for this show. Yes, it showed the “free” lifestyle of swinging, but it was also showing the affects of swinging. you did not have to agree with this lifestyle to appreciate the humor in this show. I am 42 years old, and loved the show because it brought back memories of that time as a child (clothes, hair styles, and yes sad to say, now that I think about it my parents were probably swingers). I agree with Alisa, it was becoming so much more. How people care and treat people even if they are different. How enemies can become best of friends. Let’s keep cancelling the shows with love and compassion and keep bringing back the ones with murder and hatred and see where this world ends up. Oh never mind, we are already there.

Jackie May 19, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I just searched for Swingtown, & was very disappointed to learn that it was discontinued. My husband & I looked forward to watching it every week. Thankfully, we purchased the first season on DVD, before they pull that from the shelves, too. If the prudes don’t like it, just change the channel! Please bring the show back!

Kyra May 16, 2009 at 11:55 am

I to was looking forward to watching this show. It was a great show. I really hope someone picks up this show the characters were great and the show could continue along long time.

Leslie May 12, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I am extremely disappointed! I was looking for the sceduled time for this show this year and to my astonishment it’s been canceled. The first season really set the characters up and I was so excited to see what was in store for this season. I agree that it may not be for everyone but no show is. If you don’t like it turn it and leave those of us that do alone. We probably don’t like some of the crap you watch either. This was not a show that encouraged swinging, I myself would never do it, but it was a great show with a great cast. I really hope that another network will pick this show up and air it for us.

Alisa May 12, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I was also looking foward to watching this show again this summer. I fell in love with this show and these characters. I live near Chicago, so it had an even more special place in my heart. There was alway so much going on, and the characters were all changing in so many ways that the show was becoming so much more than the “swinging,” but the prudes who objected to the show would never know that because all they ever knew was the name and what they thought they knew. As everyone else has said they SHOULD CHANGE THE CHANNEL and let those of us who want to watch the show enjoy it. I REALLY HOPE SOMEONE PICKS UP THIS SHOW!

Denise May 9, 2009 at 9:13 pm

WHY WHY CANCEL such a great show! Swingtown was awesome! Entertaining, interesting to see the 70’s lit up again! Love the show, the characters are amazing actors & just an all around addicting show! Watched the first season, then again on DVD only to be soooooo disapointed to know it’s been cancelled! Please please….someone pick up this show & continue! I am so sick of all the reality shows, and the ‘crime’ or hospital shows! Bring back Swingtown!!!

maggie May 7, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I was so looking forward to season two. If it will not air in this network, then on another network. This show is awesome. I watched every episode back-to-back until I ran out. Then I started looking for season two (on Netflix) and did some research only to get disappointed.

mandy April 28, 2009 at 8:02 pm

what the hell…i LOVED this show!!! please bring it back!

kimberly April 25, 2009 at 2:51 pm

This show was great. They need 2 bring it back. It was hot….

Becky April 23, 2009 at 5:55 pm

I don’t understand why this show was cancelled. This was an excellent show and my guilty pleasure. There are so many crappy shows on TV, but yet they always cancel the good ones. I found a website that has some links to petitions to save the show. I hope that either CBS smartens up and renews the show, or another network pick it up.