Terra Nova: Cancelled; Season Two Still Possible?

Terra Nova canceled season twoThe Terra Nova TV show has been officially cancelled by the FOX network. However, though you won’t see dinosaurs back on the FOX schedule next season, there’s still hope for a second season.

For those who came in late, Terra Nova’s produced by Steven Spielberg and revolves around a time when our planet has become over-developed and overcrowded. Mankind’s only chance for survival is to make use of a newly discovered fracture in time and try to colonize pre-historic Earth. The cast includes Jason O’Mara, Shelley Conn, Landon Liboiron, Allison Miller, Naomi Scott, Alana Mansour, Stephen Lang, Rod Hallett, and Christine Adams.

Terra Nova premiered last September with a pair of installments which attracted an average of a 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.22 million total viewers. It was third in its timeslots but held viewers through the two hours. The third episode drew about the same as the first two episodes. Episode four fell by 19% in the demo and later episodes hit a low of a 2.1 rating in the demo three times.

The season averaged a 2.5 rating in the demo and 7.52 million viewers. Those aren’t bad numbers but also aren’t good enough to ensure a pick up — especially considering that Terra Nova is expensive to produce. FOX entertainment president Kevin Reilly once noted that the network was committed to purchasing 22 installments if the show was renewed.

FOX initially had a December 31st deadline to make a decision on renewing Terra Nova but bought themselves some extra time by picking up the options on many of the actors’ contracts.

Reilly had concerns about the creative direction of the show so Terra Nova producers and 20th Century Fox Television began approaching showrunners and senior writers about possibly joining the series for next season. Reilly was reportedly pitched several potential scenarios and writers but he didn’t take to any of them. A last ditch meeting on Friday supposedly went well but Reilly ultimately decided late yesterday to cancel the show.

The decision comes as somewhat of a surprise since the network and studio both made money on the show and has Spielberg’s name attached. Word is that studio 20th Century TV will now shop the series to other potential outlets. The mediocre ratings and hefty price tag — reportedly about $4 million per episode — won’t make it an easy sell. The talent options supposedly expire at the end of June, keeping those castmembers from being in contention for potential new series.

What do you think? Are you disappointed that FOX has cancelled Terra Nova? Are you surprised?

brenda williams December 2, 2012 at 3:38 pm

upset, it isn’t always about the money and the ratings but about how much the people really liked it. everybody who watched the episode were really pleased with it. something different fox. come on fox give tara nova another chance.

Neal November 19, 2012 at 12:56 am

I started the show late, But loved it. I bought the hold series. Please bring it back orsomeone else pick it up!!

Lina November 18, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I am very disappointed, I was enjoying Terra nova. There is not many good shows around and TN was great! bring it back please.

Natalie November 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I just watched the whole season and absolutely loved it. I can’t believe that fox cancelled it and I think it would be great if the sci-fi channel would pick it up. I believe it would do very well on that station.

Dawn Large November 12, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Loved the show and very disappointed it was cancelled! You should bring it back!

Matt S November 9, 2012 at 2:26 am

First of all I want to say that I am very, very, very disappointed. I first saw the show when they were advertising it on commercials. I fell in love with the show before Ive even seen an episode. I watched it grow from the first episode until the last. They had such a great idea for a show that could go in any direction that they wanted to. It’s not like all the crime shows like Castle, CSI New York, Supernatural, or Bones. Those are all shows that are very good, I even watch them every week. But Terra Nova is a great show. On those crime shows you know what is going to happen, (for the most part). They are gonna find a dead body or hear of a case and they are going to investigate it. Then they will gather evidence and hunt down the person or thing and they will arrest or kill the thing that they were looking for. On Terra Nova you don’t know what is going to happen next. You don’t know what direction that they are going to go in. That’s what makes it such an awesome show. That’s why I love The Walking Dead. I’ve never read the comics but even if you have they change it so it’s new for the people that have. I just hope and pray that they bring Terra Nova back. It was in the top 5 of my all time favorite shows and it only had one season. Who knows where it would’ve been if I’ve been lucky enough to see a couple more seasons. So on that matter, WILL SOME OTHER NETWORK PLEASE BRING BACK TERRA NOVA? Please?

Dan Dominuez December 2, 2012 at 5:49 am

Our whole family loved the show. All the characters and props where pretty cool. That made for a better show. Very entertaining and realistic, not a budget Sy-Fy series. I hope it comes back for another series!!!!

@9ede November 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm

FOX should cancel The Cleveland Show or family guy… but not terra nova or the finder.. fox suck..

Tabitha October 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I can’t believe there isn’t a second season! So frustrating. This is a great show, cast and incredible plot. DANG! I am ticked off. Bring Terra Nova back!!!

tim October 28, 2012 at 7:49 am

should not have cancelled terra nova

Anonymous October 26, 2012 at 8:34 pm

that sucks we were waiting for it tocome back

Angel October 23, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I loved that show and I am very upset it haa been canceled, I think they should give it a second change and bring it back. BRING IT BACK PLEASE.

Bill October 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I love the show it was diffrent, I’m tried of the crime shows

Jake October 15, 2012 at 4:12 am

If they weren’t going to pick it up, at least finish it out with a 1 or 2-two hour sci-fi special finales! Do it mid 2013 if possible and that way you can still rerun every other year and it means something.

Matthew October 14, 2012 at 7:05 am

i just started it online got the end of season 1 to find out it was canceled after that wish they would bring it back

Chris October 13, 2012 at 7:58 am

Heck yes I am disappointed. I stumbled on the show and started watching and I couldn’t stop. I love the idea and its a whole lot better than all the other shows just about “fake” reality that are on .