The 1/2 Hour News Hour: FOX News Cancels Satire Series

The 1/2 Hour News HourComedy news for the right-wing? Considering the success of Comedy Central’s political satire shows, it seemed like an interesting idea. Apparently not enough viewers agreed.

FOX News Channel (FNC) has decided to pull the plug on The 1/2 Hour News Hour. The series was created by 24 producers Joel Surnow and Manny Coto as an alternative to the popular The Daily Show with John Stewart and The Colbert Report. The first episode boasted guest appearances by conservatives Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham and attracted a healthy 1.4 million viewers. But, despite multiple plugs by Limbaugh on his radio show, the audience numbers dwindled downward from there. FNC has cancelled the series after 15 episodes, the last of which will air on September 16, 2007.

There is a possibility that The 1/2 Hour News Hour may return at some point in the future. In a memo to staff yesterday, FNC Senior Vice-president Bill Shine said, “While HHNH performed admirably in the ratings and [anchors] Kurt Long and Jennifer Robertson did a wonderful job, we are considering ways to retool the show for future scheduling needs. There is still a chance you will see the program at some point in the future.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

W.I.G. October 19, 2007 at 12:27 pm

The show wasn’t that bad, if for no other reason it was fun seeing well known libs being the butt of the jokes for a change.

rob65803 October 16, 2007 at 9:25 am

I thought the show was great after I stumbled onto it. Sure wish they had promoted it a little. I thought it got better with time and if anybody found it they were lucky.

Dick Oles October 15, 2007 at 4:52 pm

With the Left owning 95% of TV and the print media, why in HELL did you cancel it ??!!???

Dammit, SOMEBODY has to fight fire with fire…..talk radio is not enough. PLEASE reinstate it.

Matt K October 11, 2007 at 4:04 pm

I’m upset that the show isn’t on anymore. But I recorded most of the episodes. I liked it because they made fun of people that I don’t like, like Al Gore. I can’t stand him.

ElephantsNeverForget October 6, 2007 at 11:12 pm

I liked this show for it’s political humor. I had it set to record on my TV tuner for my PC.

I am pretty sure there wasn’t a laughtrack because there were people in the audience that they panned to before the show starts. It was funny. Guy White wasn’t that great, but was funny at times.

Drexel Gal October 4, 2007 at 3:12 am

To those of you who complained about how “terrible” the show was: Who FORCED you to watch it? You have CNBC, Oxygen, and PBS to suckle you.

Michele September 23, 2007 at 7:42 pm

I’m mad…I just discovered the show last month and now it is over? I loved it! It was like someone finally understood the silent MAJORITY of us out there.

C. E. Berg September 7, 2007 at 7:24 am

The Leftists win again!

Uncle Bob September 6, 2007 at 11:44 am

Good riddance. It was a tasteless conservative ripoff of “The Daily Show.” Adding conservative convert Dennis Milller (he once referred to Marilyn Quayle as “one Republican bitch”) to legitimize it did not help. Maybe someday Fox will come up with an original idea, but I doubt it.

Brianfur August 25, 2007 at 5:38 pm

You liberals are too funny. The show was hilarious, and Dennis Miller was a highlight. Just because you are not intelligent enough to understand his complex jokes. I bet you wear tie-dyes, sandals and smell of patchuli

Mary August 22, 2007 at 12:20 pm

I hated it. In my opinion, Fox degraded itself with this boring, tasteless, “put me to sleep” show. Good riddance!

Mike August 20, 2007 at 8:31 pm

Would have been great without the dreadful Dennis Miller. Miller was just not funny and was a drag on the show.

Guy White, closet conservative and The ACLU ads were classic.

Please bring back sans Miller.

Travis August 16, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Thank God. What an awful, hateful show with some of the WORST jokes I’ve ever heard on TV. It was so bad that it was often difficult to tell where the punchlines were. I guess they figured that if they recited their lines sassy enough, people would laugh. Guess that’s why they needed the laugh track.

WolvenSpectre August 16, 2007 at 12:14 pm

I personally didn’t even realize it had started up yet
(great marketing push guys).

Also as a Canadian I am a bit miffed over the name of the show. A hit and television mainstay up here in Canada that covered News and Politics with a twist of sketch comedy thrown in is called “This Hour Has 22 Minutes” (22 minutes is the length of programming in Canada when you remove the breaks from a half hour show).

The title refers back to an old black and white CBC News Magazine called “This Hour has 7 Days” that boasted the invention of the hot seat interview, brief humour bits, and breaking huge international stories. For example it was the only place in North America that would broadcast anything to do with Ralph Nader’s famous car safety report “Unsafe at any Speed”.

Needless to say, there are probably more than a few people up here that think that this show was… imitating more than the John Stewart style of show.

Nick August 15, 2007 at 3:43 pm

I couldn’t stand that show. It was a combo ripoff of SNL’s Weekend Update and the Daily Show – and did a bad job at it.

But I am sure there were fans, so sorry to those fans who lost it.