The 4400: USA Network Series Cancelled

The 4400Fans of the USA Network’s unique science-fiction series, The 4400, have been waiting patiently to hear about the show’s return ever since the season four finale aired in September. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the series is coming back.

USA has yet to make an official announcement about the cancellation but The 4400’s creator and executive producer Scott Peters says that the show is indeed over. In a post on the show’s messageboard, Peters said, “It’s with great sadness that I pass along to you the information I’ve just received — The 4400 has been cancelled. We’ve had a great time bringing you this story and submersing you in the lives of all these incredible characters.”

Peters went on to say, “I just spoke to Joel [Gretsch] and we had a great talk about what we all accomplished and how much we’ll miss our family that is our crew and our cast… and our fans. But at least we got to go out with a bang! I had an awesome time directing the last episode. I think I got to make almost every single cast member cry (on camera). How much fun was that?!”

“So let me raise my metaphorical glass to you all and thank you for being so loyal and so dedicated. I wish we could go on forever, but the party has come to an end. Be well and on behalf of all of us at The 4400 — thank you, it’s been a pleasure.”

Actress Jacqueline McKenzie, who plays Diana Skouris, posted to fans on her MySpace page saying, “I know I speak for all the cast: We really appreciate the support and dedication of our fans! Thank you!”

Hopefully USA will produce a TV movie to wrap up the series’ loose threads. We’ll keep you posted so stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

UPDATE: USA’s Executive VP of Original Programming, Jeff Wachtel, has confirmed the cancellation.

Joan May 26, 2008 at 2:56 pm

I’m very disappointed that 4400 has been cancelled especially in light of all the garbage that continues; eg: Burn Notice. It’s bad enough that it was only on during the summer and I waited six months to start watching it again. The cancellation leaves so many open ends, so many questions still to be answered. Can someone tell us fans the reason for the cancellation.

Corinna May 24, 2008 at 10:02 pm

This show was so good that it deserved an ending. The viewers also deserved an ending. I would think that if one’s going to cancel an already-established series, that they would be smart enough to do a wrap-up to the show in order to “end” the story and answer fan’s questions so as to not allienate viewers from watching any future programming that the network may feature. After this experience, I for one will not be investing in and watching any new TV series. Nowadays, we can go to any video store or search online and rent TV shows that we know have had AN ACTUAL ENDING and a good reputation and high recommendations, etc. We will know what we’re getting ourselves invested in beforehand and not even have to wait through commercials or writer’s strikes or series breaks to see the next episode. In fact, in this day and age, why would any network want to upset any of their show’s devoted followers at all? We can just all decide to turn off the TV altogether and go straight for shows on video. This couldn’t be good for advertisers. After this experience, why would any 4400-fan want to ever invest their time again in any show this network produces when they have let us down so badly in terms of the outcome of the 4400? While I’m sure that it would be fairly difficult to get the cast and crew together again to give us a good wrap up to the show, it shouldn’t be impossible. And even if it didn’t make economical sense to air it for whatever reason – there are other options. Surely there’s enough fans out there and video store owners that would purchase a 4400 straight-to-DVD movie. After all, isn’t the customer always right? The viewers are the consumers and the network should treat us better that this. I thought that The 4400 was an incredible show. The actors were incredible. The story possibilities were virtually endless. The show may gain in popularity in the future as well – or at least it could have until potential new viewers learn that the show was abruptly cancelled right after an awesome cliffhanger finale. I mean, who would willingly want to get emotionally invested in renting this show now? The network cheated the cast and crew and the viewers here – and ultimately even themselves. I can only hope that some network bigshot will wise up and SOON and look into some alternatives to wrap up this show. This is the only way they could possibily make 4400 fans happy (other than bringing the show back on the air, of course!). So, I’m really keeping my fingers crossed on this one because I feel very disappointed and incomplete not knowing how it all ends. Thanks for reading and hopefully considering what I’ve had to say.

Joe May 21, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Too bad a good show is cancelled.

Judy May 17, 2008 at 7:08 am

WHY??? I’ve looked forward to seeing how the series comes to a final for over 6 months. I think that the show ought to be brought back just to finalize all the questions that have arision in the past 4 seasons. PLEASE DON’T LEAVE US HANGING!!!!

Emmie May 15, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Hopefully they give the fans a TV movie to wrap up the show. It’s like reading a really good book, but the last chapter is missing. I hate that. I REALLY hope they do a TV movie.

jenni May 11, 2008 at 4:13 pm

I can’t believe this bulls**t. I get excited every summer for this show to come on again and they cancel it. Its like if abc decided to cancel “lost.” So sad. I’m so angry

Linda May 11, 2008 at 1:41 am

This is just not fair and cruel!! Where do we go from here? Please follow through and finish something!

Carolyn Gray May 10, 2008 at 1:34 am

Why! I absolutely hate it when a really fantastic show has been on with a great fanbase and then they leave us hanging!!! What’s wrong with you people? At least when I read a book, I can get to the ending. What about a movie? Even “Star Trek” came through for us “Trekkies”.

Dale Erickson May 6, 2008 at 10:16 am

I say nuts, anyone know where to mail them in?

I am so sick of TV shows that die b4 the story is told, total waste of time, sad to say I got sucked into this one, enought tho. I called and had my cable disconected a few weeks ago, nothing but bad news on the news, and good shows with no endings.
I have no confidence in the networks at all anymore.

We need closure! February 10, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Please do at least one last show…..

Anonymous February 10, 2008 at 3:50 pm

We need closure, PLEASE!

Fima Vaisman February 7, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Bring the 4400 back ! We love this show.

JANET COLQUITT February 5, 2008 at 11:05 am

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW……..

I DON’T HAVE THE MONEY FOR ANY SUNFLOWER SEEDS AND YOU MAYNOT HAVE ANYONE TO EAT THEM BUT THIS IS A VERY GOOD SHOW THAT IS GOOD FOR ALL THAT WATCH IT.

AGAIN PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW

JANET COLQUITT

Gillian January 2, 2008 at 11:19 am

I just saw a preview for the new season starting this Sun. on USA what is going on.

mike shelton December 25, 2007 at 9:52 pm

A wrap up of 4400 would be greatly appreciated. I watched every single episode. I looked forward to each season. It’s a shame that it’s been cancelled. I hope its possible that it might come back.