The Americans: Season Two Ratings

The Americans on FX ratingsLast year, The Americans attracted a lot of attention for FX but the ratings declined over the course of the season. Will the numbers improve in year two or will they continue to fall? Will this series be cancelled or renewed for a third season?

Taking place in the 1980s, The Americans revolves around the lives and work of Elizabeth (Keri Russell) and Philip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), two Soviet KGB officers who are posing as an American married couple in the suburbs of Washington DC. Others in the cast include Richard Thomas, Holly Taylor, Keidrich Sellati, Annet Mahendru, Maximiliano Hernández, Alison Wright, Susan Misner, and Noah Emmerich.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better the chances for survival. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available.

4/16 update: This show has been renewed for a third season.

Final season averages: 0.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.34 million total viewers.

Reference point: The first season of The Americans averaged a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.8 million viewers.

Cable ratings are typically released within a day or so of the show’s airing, except for in the case of weekends and holidays. They are sometimes harder to locate so there may be occasional delays or gaps.

What do you think? Do you like The Americans TV series? Do you think that it should be cancelled or renewed for a third season?

Paul Gentosi September 15, 2014 at 8:12 pm

The Americans is one of the best shows on TV. I hope it is renewed. It would be a shame if it is not.

Susan101 September 11, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Loved the show! They have me hooked! I so hope
They are returning it for season 3!!

Manuel Robles July 20, 2014 at 5:43 am

According to Comcast, The Americans is canceled. After binge watching the show and starting to enjoy it, I couldn’t find other episodes. Upon further research, I found that according to Comcast, the show was canceled and they were trying to somehow package the season that had already been taped, so that it could be offered for sale.

admin July 20, 2014 at 8:50 am

The show has not been cancelled. Season three will air next year.

Alan Bickley July 6, 2014 at 12:08 pm

The acting at every level has been stellar, and to mention Margo Martindale and Matthew Rhys is not to discredit Noah Emmerich, Keri Russell, Annet Mahendru, and Richard Thomas. Everything is logically-motivated and nothing is contrived. The scripts are evidence of a broadly humane understanding that the Cold War was not a clash of good and evil, but a struggle between interests in which decency and dishonor, humanity and cruelty are found on both sides and, indeed, in any single character as circumstances dictate. I attribute the show’s weakness in the desired demographic to the unfamiliarity of the young with history and to the producers’ eschewing of cheap visual tricks and with-it dialogue in favor of authenticity.

Dianne Lipsey July 5, 2014 at 4:55 pm

The Americans the most amazing acting. Brilliantly produced. One of the rarest of great shows on TV. I love The Americans and look forward to each episode it is my favorite show. I want to find the episodes missed in Season 2. For some reason it was coming on Fox regularly with Dish and then I couldn’t find it – so I have missed most of Season 2 and would love to be able to catch up and hope the programs returns for Season 3. My favorite and hope will stay.
Thank you!

Dianne Lipsey July 5, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I found and watched a couple of the episodes in Season 2, but then I haven’t been able to find it on Fox with Dish since. Where can I find the Season 2 episodes to stay caught up with the show? I love the show and hope that it will be continued.
Thank you.

admin July 5, 2014 at 4:55 pm

As far as I know, season two isn’t available for streaming online or on-demand any longer (not legally anyway). You can purchase them on iTunes but I think that’s it right now.

Mavis June 1, 2014 at 10:39 am

The most amazing acting. Brilliantly produced. One of the rare diamonds on TV. The Americans is a favorite we hope will stay