The Americans: Season Two Ratings

The Americans on FX ratingsLast year, The Americans attracted a lot of attention for FX but the ratings declined over the course of the season. Will the numbers improve in year two or will they continue to fall? Will this series be cancelled or renewed for a third season?

Taking place in the 1980s, The Americans revolves around the lives and work of Elizabeth (Keri Russell) and Philip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), two Soviet KGB officers who are posing as an American married couple in the suburbs of Washington DC. Others in the cast include Richard Thomas, Holly Taylor, Keidrich Sellati, Annet Mahendru, Maximiliano Hernández, Alison Wright, Susan Misner, and Noah Emmerich.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better the chances for survival. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available.

4/16 update: This show has been renewed for a third season.

Final season averages: 0.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.34 million total viewers.

Reference point: The first season of The Americans averaged a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.8 million viewers.

Cable ratings are typically released within a day or so of the show’s airing, except for in the case of weekends and holidays. They are sometimes harder to locate so there may be occasional delays or gaps.

What do you think? Do you like The Americans TV series? Do you think that it should be cancelled or renewed for a third season?

Thorntonhaley May 23, 2014 at 9:24 am

Great show! I have been following since the beginning never missing an episode. Great acting along side a great plot with plenty of suspense. One of the best tv series in a long time, much better entertainment than reality shows or American Idol type shows that I just do not find entertaining. I hope FX continues the series. I think if more people knew about the show it would have higher ratings. I have turned on about 5 people to the show that had no idea it was on, now they like me are addicted. Please do not cancel The Americans.

John West May 22, 2014 at 2:21 am

If he were here, Robert Ludlum would jump up and shout about “The Americans.” It would have been right up his continental alley. He’d even consider making Keri Russell his heroine, “Joanna Bourne.” For the finale I was jumped floored by the tension of it all. It was superbly orchestrated. And Margo Martindale is always a standout. But it’s indeed an irony that she also is starring at the same time on television in a situation comedy, the complete opposite of her role as the KGB doyenne in “The Americans.” I won’t end my admiration of the show by just citing a few names. The entire cast is brilliant. The script is classic Robert Ludlum it would help in following the script if you were a follower of the international intrigue genre). The photography? What can I say? The show just can’t end with this finale!

Rich May 22, 2014 at 12:19 am

It is one of the best shows on TV so naturally it will be cancelled to make room for another boring reality show.

Teri Crane May 15, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Bring back the killer music. I miss it!!! Please and thank you!

nemo f May 1, 2014 at 11:52 pm

a test pattern would probably get higher ratings

Georgia April 25, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hearing that the ratings have slumped for The Americans is NOT good news for my household. The Americans is one of the best written and greatest shows on the air. We never miss an episode. Sure hope FX sticks with it for another season, so there’s at least a proper finale. It’s so frustrating that quality shows are cancelled and the unfunny, toilet humor sit-coms remain, as well as the ridiculous reality shows.

Tom R April 25, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I read just recently that The Americans was renewed for a third season.

Jill April 8, 2014 at 10:19 am

I cannot believe Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell haven’t gotten Emmy nods for their work on this series. The writing is beyond good and the acting…truly brilliant. Margo Martindale! I’ve loved her since The Riches and she doesn’t disappoint here. Her character is as nuanced as they come and she handles the transitions between personae with such skill I would believe anything her ‘spy’ told me. Whoever is in charge of props, costumes, hair and makeup design should be commended as well for bringing the 1980s screaming back to life. This is an edge-of-your-seat, hold-your-breath thrill ride and I highly recommend it to all Mature audiences out there (definitely not for young people).

Tom R April 1, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Just found this show about a month ago. Binge watched all of Season One on Amazon Prime and now watching Season Two on FX. Great characters and very suspenseful. It seems to me even if FX doesn’t want to renew for another season that Netflix or Amazon might be a willing to spring for at least another season.

Lj April 1, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Love this show

Jack April 1, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Great Show. I vote for its continuation.

DONNAB March 31, 2014 at 11:24 pm

THIS IS A GREAT SHOW! IT DOES HAVE A LOT OF COMPETITION FOR THAT TIME SLOT AND I FIND THAT I MUST BE CREATIVE WITH MY SCHEDULE TO CATCH THIS SHOW BUT I WATCH THE LATER VERSION OR I DVR ONE OF THE SHOWS IN THAT SAME TIME SLOT. IT IS WORTH THE MANUEVERING! THANKS TO FX FOR HAVING MULTIPLE SHOWINGS OF THE AMERICANS. THE PLOT AND THE CHARACTERS ARE VERY GOOD AND THE SUSPENSE KEEPS MY HUSBAND AND I COMING BACK TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

Angela W. March 31, 2014 at 9:30 am

Sorry I don’t watch this show, I think I am looking at another show in this time slot.

shug March 31, 2014 at 8:44 am

This season has started off really good. I like it. I watched last season until about the middle and it got too complicated so I quit. So far this new one has been good.

Rose March 31, 2014 at 8:16 am

The Americans is a fantastic show!

Jolyne Dunn March 30, 2014 at 11:21 pm

On at the same time as Chicago PD. I might have watched, but I didn’t know anything about it.