The Assets: Canceled Episodes Coming — Someday

The Assets: canceled episodesAt the recent Television Critics Association press tour, ABC Entertainment Group President Paul Lee reflected on cancelled mini-series The Assets.

He said that he was proud of The Assets creatively and as a business model, even though the ratings were a disappointment. “That one was actually a great experiment [with our news division] and we’re going to continue with that experiment even though the show didn’t work.”

Lee noted that, “In the end, what we need do as we test out different pieces [of programming] is to find ones that work both financially and creatively so that we can have programming the whole year-round.”

The network president also said that the remaining episodes of The Assets would be made available at some point in the future — either on the broadcast schedule or via one of ABC’s digital platforms like ABC.com.

What do you think? Are you open to watching limited series — even though the network may still pull them early? Would you like to see the rest of The Assets?

137 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. KellyC says

LOVED THE SHOW!!! Looked forward to it every week. It’s a shame the TV execs decided to nix it. It was only a mini series and showing the rest of it wouldn’t have done any harm. My husband and I agree TV execs don’t make TV for us anymore. To fill the stations with dumb teen drama or reality shows really are not good TV. It was a really interesting show that seemed to let us into the world of spies, even for a little bit. I wish the TV execs would air the reast of the episodes or put it on DVD or something.

2. Linda Ames says

I was shocked to find The Assets missing on Thu night for the 3rd episode. Really dumb idea to cancel it. It was a good show and what’s more, based on an historical period in the US. I would like to see this show come back in its entirety. Bad decision ABC.

3. Bernie Johnson says

This was a great show, not well advertised, which accounts for the low ratings. Anytime there is a good, intellectual program, the networks cancel it in favor of some dumb, worthless reality program. What a shame!
    My whole family was hooked after one episode. ABC should either continue the mini-series or condense it to a movie so those of us who enjoyed it can see it in its entirety. Now we will find something else to do on Thursday nights, perhaps another network, or a movie, but definitely not ABC, until we can watch the rest of the show.

4. Gary says

It seems that is what happens when you put on a series based on actual history. If it had gratuitous sex, same sex couples and profanity you would never get it off the air! I am very disappointed.

5. CS says

I totally enjoyed the show. I think the problem was that there was no advertisement for it. I only happened across it while I was browsing for something else or I would have never even seen the first episode. Honey Boob is more interesting to the phrase I’ve coined “the general public” meaning the ignorant and lemming like society that Americans are evolving into. What a shame. I sure hope I get a chance to download these from ABC.com or netflix or something.

6. Dottie says

It figures…Anything good on TV is doomed. My husband & I searched everywhere for the next episodes of this show & finally came to the conclusion that another promising gem was gone. But as viewers we were treated so badly as if we didn’t matter and of course we don’t. TV today is made for the masses and for the young viewers who are very fickle and have a short attention span. Oh well, back to non-network TV which has become very innovative with programming and picking up the slack leftover by the “Biggies”. I can count on one hand the number of TV network shows that I give a crap about.

7. JoeF says

We have all these dumb reality shows and here is a true show of someone who betrayed the country, was responsible the loss of many lives, and was responsible for the loss of many insiders who were helping us during the cold war. Go figure.

8. robert zirgulis says

What is wrong with you TV executives? It was a great show about historical events in the underworld of spies.

9. Carl says

Absolutely want to see the remaining episodes. I really enjoyed the first two episodes and was very intrigued with the show. Even though I knew the facts and the result, I was very pleased with the show. At least allow us to view the remaining episodes online.

10. says

Liked this series very much. Had the feel of the most recent version of “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.” The slower pace was just right for the subject matter of actually, day-to-day espionage. HEY, ABC! LET US SEE THE “FULL” MINI-SERIES ONLINE or ON DEMAND.