The Assets

The Assets TV seriesNetwork: ABC
Episodes: Eight (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: January 2, 2014 — August 3, 2014
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Paul Rhys, Jodie Whittaker, Harriet Walter, Stuart Milligan, Julian Ovenden, Christina Cole, and Ralph Brown.

TV show description:
This drama is based on the real life events of CIA counter-intelligence officer Sandy Grimes (Jodie Whittaker). The story takes place in 1985 during the end of the Cold War.

Sandy and her partner Jeanne Vertefeuille (Harriet Walter) have vowed to find the mole that would turn out to be the most notorious traitor in US History, Aldrich Ames (Paul Rhys). Sandy is in a race against time to save the Soviet intelligence officers from being caught and killed.

Also a beautiful wife and mother, Sandy lives her own double life and has vowed to stop at nothing until she uncovers the truth.

Series Finale:
Episode #8 — Avenger
Despite the task force being fully convinced of Ames’ guilt, Sandy seeks more definitive proof to convince the Justice Department to proceed with their own investigation. As the hunt closes in on Ames, Sandy’s commitment to the job pushes her husband’s patience and commitment to the brink. After Ames is finally caught and brought to justice, he mulls over a major decision — to go down defiantly or to confess and protect his wife and child. (Courtesy ABC)
First aired: August 3, 2014

What do you think? Do you like the The Assets TV series? Do you think it should have been renewed for another season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

222 Comments on "The Assets"

Notify of

Rita
Rita
January 30, 2014 10:20 am

Is ABC kidding?? They air 2 shows out of a promised 8 on a really interesting subject and then yank it?? And what are we left with…..drivel on bachelors and women throwing themselves at them and even Good Morning America has reduced itself to a half hour of news and a remaining hour and a half of celebrity nonsense. No wonder so many American children can’t read or think…..

Francis J. Luongo
Francis J. Luongo
January 30, 2014 9:03 am

Was it too dark, or tool really real for the commercial world?….I should have realized that my one recent venture into commercial-land would end this way. So, I’m back to PBS and NPR, the grown-up world of media.

cindy
cindy
January 29, 2014 7:26 pm

I can’t beleive this was cancelled. So frustrating. It seems when there is something substantial, it gets concelled before it has a chance.

Larry
Larry
January 29, 2014 1:53 pm

I hate it when this happens. I get interested in a series and it gets cancelled before it ends.

Dawn
Dawn
January 28, 2014 11:15 am

I was so interested in The Assets. It is a true story about our history. ABC is losing my respect over the cancelation of this real life drama. I just hope I can see the final six episodes somewhere that will be showing it.

judy
January 27, 2014 9:26 pm

After 2 episodes they cancelled the Assets???? Really??? A true fascinating story!!! I am sooooo disappointed and so really done with the big 3…ABC had zip to offer anyway! All 8 episodes have been filmed and everybody has been paid so why would you pull it? I will be scratching my head for a long time! Hopefully Netflix will pick it up!

Sharon Johnson
Sharon Johnson
January 26, 2014 1:59 pm

I set my DVR to record this series and when I only got two recordings I thought something was wrong with my settings. I can’t believe it was cancelled. I hate all the stupid reality shows and spend so much time watching PBS and Netflix, at last here was a story on a network with real substance.Pplease bring it back or put it on Netflix!!!!

Mulligan
January 26, 2014 1:05 pm

From the start you could surmise that this was an independent film with unknown actors and was probably picked up by ABC to see if they could make a go of it. I, personally, thought the first episode truly was awful, and the second one was much better. I, too, hope that it will arise again somewhere on the networks!

myron
myron
January 26, 2014 12:28 pm

Great series. We want to see the other six episodes.

jim
jim
January 25, 2014 8:24 pm

dumb move! bring it back!

Mari Smith
January 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Aldrich Ames is a name that comes up in my crossword puzzles frequently and I was really excited about seeing his story on t.v. as I had never really researched him or his history. The network is dumb to cancel this show and I hope eventually it will be available on Netflix so I won’t be as dumb as the network is. This was a TRUE “reality show” with class, a great cast and dialogue. I’m very disappointed.

Larry
January 25, 2014 3:03 pm

The truth was never given a chance to succeed. ‘Real-Life’ drama unfortunately is NOT what TV viewers want to see; they sadly prefer the ridiculousness of fantasy. Also, is ‘OUR ELECTED’ national representatives also afraid to ‘face-the-truth’ of a MAJOR espionage blunder during the 20th century because this is a ‘TRUE MAJOR EVENT’ that they cannot ‘SPIN’?

Pat
Pat
January 25, 2014 1:38 pm

The least , finish the 8 episode mini series. The Assets was sure better than some of the brainless sit-coms that are on the air!

Tom eglinton
Tom eglinton
January 25, 2014 5:03 am

The assets was not a perfect effort but was superior to most tv fare and i wd like to see the remainder of the series. I think abc moved too quickly to cancel it.

Gretchen
January 25, 2014 12:16 am

I would like to see the remaining episodes of The Assets. I thought the story was interesting and suspenseful, even though I remember when this occurred. It’s too bad that a quality program was canceled and replaced with Shark Tank! I think it was given much of a chance.

Gretchen
January 25, 2014 12:17 am

wasn’t given much of a chance.

1 5 6 7 8 9 13