The Assets

The Assets TV seriesNetwork: ABC
Episodes: Eight (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: January 2, 2014 – August 3, 2014
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Paul Rhys, Jodie Whittaker, Harriet Walter, Stuart Milligan, Julian Ovenden, Christina Cole, and Ralph Brown.

current TV show

TV show description:
This drama is based on the real life events of CIA counter-intelligence officer Sandy Grimes (Jodie Whittaker). The story takes place in 1985 during the end of the Cold War.

Sandy and her partner Jeanne Vertefeuille (Harriet Walter) have vowed to find the mole that would turn out to be the most notorious traitor in US History, Aldrich Ames (Paul Rhys). Sandy is in a race against time to save the Soviet intelligence officers from being caught and killed.

Also a beautiful wife and mother, Sandy lives her own double life and has vowed to stop at nothing until she uncovers the truth.
space

Series Finale

Episode #8 — Avenger
Despite the task force being fully convinced of Ames’ guilt, Sandy seeks more definitive proof to convince the Justice Department to proceed with their own investigation. As the hunt closes in on Ames, Sandy’s commitment to the job pushes her husband’s patience and commitment to the brink. After Ames is finally caught and brought to justice, he mulls over a major decision — to go down defiantly or to confess and protect his wife and child. (Courtesy ABC)
First aired: August 3, 2014

space
What do you think? Do you like the The Assets TV series? Do you think it should have been renewed for another season?

Mary March 4, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I wonder if there was something in the transcript that the CIA didn’t want the public to know? Perhaps that’s one reason why it was cancelled.

Sheila March 4, 2014 at 5:35 pm

This show was intense and kept my interest throughout. Very disappointed it was not given half a chance. Who makes your decisions on what stays and goes? Maybe they should go!!!

Deanne Lee March 1, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I was very dissapointed that the show was cancelled with no comment. I set my DVR for the whole series and could never find it. Please bring it back, I don’t want to watch it on my computer.

Montana February 27, 2014 at 1:12 am

I cannot believe that this show was cut! It was excellent. I am so frustrated with This decision ABC, WHY KEEP CRAP SHOWS ON AND RE-RUNS at that?

Bill February 26, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I’m extremely disappointed that this show was cancelled so soon with on two of eight episodes aired. It was a quality — and true — representation of historical facts. Just another reason why ABC is not one of my favorite networks.

Jake February 26, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Can;t understand what they are thinking. finally get a decent show on the TV and they cancel it after only a couple of episodes. Come on now, get with the program and at least let us see the entire mini series then make a decision

gregf February 26, 2014 at 3:59 am

WTF bring this show back, 2 shows?> cmon people!

mary February 25, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I keep hoping ABC will bring back this series. I love “The Americans” having lived through the time when communism was happening all around us. I’m disappointed that “The Assets” has been cancelled. Aldrich Ames was such a louse and all of America, not just the old folks should know about him and what he did to this country. Our young people should know about him and his ilk so history won’t repeat itself. Since ABC is such a good friend to our president for smoothing over all his lies I wonder if that had something to do with the demise of the show.

Lynne February 22, 2014 at 2:33 am

I saw two shows, I had it scheduled on my DVR but the rest of the shows never aired. I thought it was because of reshuffling for the Olympics – too bad I loved the show – the networks are cowards – they don’t give an audience a chance to build – shame on you ABC.

Andrew Greer February 21, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Here’s another disappointing indictment of our society. We all know the average American does not know we had a Cold War. There was a time when networks led. They were an example. If you wished to be considered educated you could emulate the speech of Walter Cronkite. However, retrospectivly misguided, some level of morality was upheld in the networks’ portrayal of family life. Hogans heroes even passed on a modicum of historical knowledge. Sadly, today’s networks seem quite content to let Americans continue to slide into educational mediocrity. No wonder our schools must now teach to tests to make sure graduates can read. Popular culture has embraced a complete lack of standards. Maybe this quality miniseries should have been on pbs. That is the last major network for people who can read. Shame on you abc. I’m glad you no longer use your full name to insult further our injured country.

Anonymous February 21, 2014 at 11:52 pm

AMEN…….

Mary March 31, 2014 at 2:19 pm

@Andrew Greer: AMEN!! Well said. The only hope we have left to keep our country patriotic and well educated is private schools, religious or not and home schooling.

Nancy February 19, 2014 at 10:35 am

I asked DVR to record. Only one episode was recorded. Where are the rest? I would like to see the rest of them. I thought it was better than some of the junk on TV.

cheryl o February 18, 2014 at 10:59 pm

If you are going to cancel a show, at least run all 8 episodes for those of us who enjoyed the mini series.

henry February 17, 2014 at 6:57 am

WHY!!!!!!!!!! They keep the junk shows forever.

brown February 16, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I don’t quite understand the ‘cancelling” of this as my understanding was that it was only a mini series anyway…

Andrea February 14, 2014 at 7:23 pm

This is the reason you have to depend on premium channels and not networks.
Networks do not give shows a chance , very little promotion of this series.
This seemed like a good show and I would have watched all 8 episodes.
For anyone that liked this, you will love The Americans on FX.
I have almost given up on networks.