The Biggest Loser: Spring 2011-12 TV Season Ratings

Biggest Loser ratingsHere are the ratings for the spring cycle of The Biggest Loser TV series. Under the supervision of trainers Bob Harper and Dolvett Quince, 10 pairs of overweight people compete against each other to lose the most pounds and win a $250,000 prize. Alison Sweeney hosts. The 13th “No Excuses” season of The Biggest Loser typically airs Tuesday nights at 8pm on the NBC network.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the Spring 2011-12 season, the best way to tell if The Biggest Loser is going to be cancelled or renewed for season 14. Check out our NBC ratings report card to see how this show’s numbers compare with the others on the network.

Season 13 final averages: 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.44 million total viewers.

Episode 13-18: Tuesday, 05/01/12
2.2 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 7.20 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.18 in the demo with 6.44 million.
Demo average rank: #4 of 14 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 13-17: Tuesday, 04/24/12
2.2 in the demo (-4% episode-to-episode change) with 6.87 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.18 in the demo with 6.39 million.

Episode 13-16: Tuesday, 04/17/12
2.3 in the demo (+10% episode-to-episode change) with 6.96 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.17 in the demo with 6.36 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 14 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 13-15: Tuesday, 04/10/12
2.1 in the demo (+5% episode-to-episode change) with 6.52 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.17 in the demo with 6.32 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 13 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 13-14: Tuesday, 04/03/12
2.0 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 6.3 million; first in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.17 in the demo with 6.31 million.

Episode 13-13: Tuesday, 03/27/12
2.0 in the demo (-13% episode-to-episode change) with 5.65 million; tied for second at 8pm, fourth at 9pm, third at 9:30pm.
Season average: 2.18 in the demo with 6.30 million.

Episode 13-12: Tuesday, 03/20/12
2.3 in the demo (+10% episode-to-episode change) with 6.76 million; second place, except third at 9pm.
Season average: 2.20 in the demo with 6.36 million.

Episode 13-11: Tuesday, 03/13/12
2.1 in the demo (+5% episode-to-episode change) with 6.46 million; tied for first at 8pm, second at 9pm, first at 9:30pm.
Season average: 2.19 in the demo with 6.32 million.

Episode 13-10: Tuesday, 03/06/12
2.0 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 6.03 million; third at 8pm, second place 8:30-10pm.
Season average: 2.20 in the demo with 6.30 million.
Demo average rank: #6 of 12 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 13-09: Tuesday, 02/28/12
2.0 in the demo (-13% episode-to-episode change, spring cycle series low) with 5.70 million; fourth place at 8pm, third at 9pm.
Season average: 2.22 in the demo with 6.34 million.
Demo average rank: #4 of 12 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 13-08: Tuesday, 02/21/12
2.3 in the demo (+10% episode-to-episode change) with 6.63 million; third place except second at 9:30pm.
Season average: 2.25 in the demo with 6.42 million.
Demo average rank: #5 of 12 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 13-07: Tuesday, 02/14/12
2.1 in the demo (-9% episode-to-episode change) with 5.86 million; fourth at 8pm, third at 9pm, tied for third at 9:30pm.
Season average: 2.24 in the demo with 6.38 million.
Demo average rank: #4 of 11 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 13-06: Tuesday, 02/07/12
2.3 in the demo (+10% episode-to-episode change) with 6.41 million; tied for third at 8pm, fourth place 8:30pm, third at 9:30pm.
Season average: 2.27 in the demo with 6.47 million.

Episode 13-05: Tuesday, 01/31/12
2.1 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 6.11 million; second place expect first at 9:30pm.
Season average: 2.26 in the demo with 6.48 million.
Demo average rank: #3 of 9 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 13-04: Tuesday, 01/24/12 (hour)
2.1 in the demo (-9% episode-to-episode change) with 6.42 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.30 in the demo with 6.58 million.

Episode 13-03: Tuesday, 01/17/12
2.3 in the demo (-4% episode-to-episode change) with 6.66 million; third in the timeslot at 8pm, second 8:30-10pm.
Season average: 2.37 in the demo with 6.63 million.

Episode 13-02: Tuesday, 01/10/12
2.4 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 6.64 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 2.40 in the demo with 6.59 million.
Demo average rank: #2 of 8 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 13-01: Tuesday, 01/03/12
2.4 rating in the demographic with 6.5 million total viewers; tied for second place at 8pm, second place 8:30-10pm.
Season average: 2.40 in the demo with 6.59 million.
Demo average rank: #2 of 7 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

It’s a big drop for NBC’s venerable reality competition. Compared to last year’s January debut, the show is down by 27% in the demo and 33% in total viewers. If the rest of the peacock network’s schedule was doing better, it would be time to cut back The Biggest Loser to just one cycle per year.
Looking for the Fall 2011-12 season ratings?

Reference point: The Spring 2010-11 season averaged a 2.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.91 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you like the The Biggest Loser TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a 14th season?

Michelle May 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Biggest Loser is my favorite show. I love it so much that I blog about it. I believe that Biggest Loser has done so much for so many people to lose weight and get healthy as well as learn more about nutrition and cooking. Yes, season 13 had some unwanted drama but Biggest Loser re-edited and the remaining shows were much better. With all of the overweight people in the Us and the world we need Biggest Loser where not only does it help the contestants but the people watching it, friends and family’s of the contestants AND many of the Biggest Loser contestants go on and pay it forward to help so many more people.
You can’t please all of the people all of the time but Biggest Loser has over 7 million people watching it and ranks in the top 4 (for the most part) of 14 reality shows. That is doing pretty good I think.

Cecilia May 2, 2012 at 10:08 am

I don’t mind the format except for the voting. I believe the person with the least percentage of weight loss on the losing team should go home. That way, deserving contestants don’t get sent home too soon, and it stops contestants from ganging up. This is not a game like Survivor, (outwit, outsmart, outplay.) This is about health and dangerously high weights, and shouldn’t be about personalities, or tricks. Remember how Arthur was sent home, even though he’d just lost 17lbs at home. He lost a bicycle race, and got switched to another team for one week. The other team, backed their undeserving player who lost 1 lb.

Ron May 2, 2012 at 9:31 am

It’s my favorite show and I hope they renew it for Season 14. However, I would like them to do a better job of casting. Season 13 had some good contestants but the bad apples spoiled the basket. The last few episodes were hard to watch with the contestants that were left.

Martha April 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Of course the ratings are down; this season’s contestants are horrible! They whine, they make excuses, and the back stab. If you get a better group of contestants and get back to the basics of the show, ratings should get better. It is a great show, and Dolvett and Bob are great (though I still miss Jillian!), but first class trainers deserve first class contestants!

Susan March 28, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Love this show. Please don’t cancel it. I find it so inspiring to see people gain confidence and start to enjoy life again after years of low self-esteem and bad eating habits. Bob Harper is awesome but, sadly, I really miss Jillian. Bob and Jillian were excellent together and gave the show a lot of interest. You never knew what Jillian was going to say or do next. Jillian, please come back. It’s not the same without you. I’ve been with Biggest Loser since Season 1 and I will continue to watch no matter how long it runs. It inspired me to lose 25 lbs and I’ve learned a lot about how to choose and cook healthier food.

Bailey March 25, 2012 at 4:24 am

This show is very inspiring and should be renewed, but they need bigger contestants and maybe more one-on-one training.

Grandizer March 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

Change the format.
If you watch it in other countries it is far different. No stupid scale that fluctuates like it is on crack. That right there is one of my biggest pet peeves about the show. Not to mention I think the numbers are massaged to come out the way they do sometimes.
Give prizes to the top 6 people in smaller increments.
What happened to the home gym’s that people would get to work out on in their own homes? Yes I know some people did not have the room for them, but a substitute prize in place of it?
How about the people with the lowest percent weight loss on EACH team battle to stay on?
I also hate the challenges that are skewed so that a female team loses against a male team. Great challenge, pick up and flip multi hundred pound tractor wheels… Wow, a little unfair you think????
Pull a car from standstill? Unfair to the 140 pound person when there is still 280 pounders???
Yeah, I want it to stay because unlike other “reality” shows, this one truly improves the lives of NOT only the contestants, but people who watch and are inspired to do something.

Oh and Jillian returning? I doubt that. I also would like it, but I think the shows format finally pissed her off enough.
I would not be surprised if Bob bolted as well.
And please do not bring back Boobs, or Ana Kournikova. What a waste.

Joan March 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Please cancel so it frees up time for quality shows like Parenthood with great writing and acting. There is a huge overdose of reality shows.

Jay February 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Please cancel this garbage. Thank you

Chad February 19, 2012 at 8:08 am

Change the show radically. Make it about weight loss and not a competition. Change it from that reality tv/fake drama crap to real weight loss infomation. Get rid of the stupid editing that make it look as if they lose 30 lbs in a week. Also, drop the over acting, pushing beyond boundering type training. It’s not realistic and people who watch this show may think it’s real. They make extreme efforts, come up short and it does nothing for them.

If the biggest loser casting, crew, and trainers cared about the National epidemic of obesity, they would get typical obese people on the show. There are people who watch this show and think they are okay because the contestants are 100s of lbs over weight and they are only 40 lbs overweight. It doesn’t take much to be obese and feel the ramifications later on in life. Lastly, they should film the show over a 52 week period. They can edit it down to 20 shows if they want, just don’t misinterpret important things like time between weigh ins, diet and exercise. Buuuut, this is about money and ratings so I don’t think the networks or people in charge of the show really care about that, they just want to “make da’ moneyz”.

That’s just my 2 cents. I have seen all episodes of season 1-11 and will watch the rest when it’s on netflix, but those are the problems I have with the show. I try to watch it for inspiration and education. I look at the end result and know that I want to get fit. The only problem is that with the way the show is presented, you have a skewed view of how to live a healthy lifestyle.

Susan March 28, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Chad, re the 30 lb weight loss in one week, I’ve seen it happen in the first couple of weeks on this show with some of the really heavy people, so it’s not impossible.

Marsha February 9, 2012 at 9:16 am

If it continues the way it is going right now, after watching the 2/7 episode, I say it’s doomed for cancellation. I’ve been a faithful watcher for years. I’ve been motivated and inspired by this show and I’ve lost 68 lbs. But this season’s show is an utter disappointment. So much back-biting, arguing, dysfunction, that I can barely stand to watch it. After watching the previews, next week looks like it’s even worse – unless it’s a teaser and the producers got smart and they’re going to redirect the focus of the show back to what it should be.

Josh Steele January 12, 2012 at 9:03 am

This show is awesome!!!! It just needs a BIG BANG to get back going.. I think they should bring Jillian back for season 14.. have Bob, Dolvett, and Jillian… put 6 on each team.. 2 young, 2 middle age, 2 old… this would split teams up and make then somewhat even… But i agree with Sherrie, they need to have people who stay in the spotlight after the show.. Ones who will sell The Biggest Loser in other seasons!!! I know someone AMAZING that would be great! His initials are JS! lol… BE BREEEZY!!!

David LeBlanc January 12, 2012 at 8:45 am

I haven’t missed an episode since season 1. I have battled with my weight my whole life and weighed 417 pounds when Biggest Loser began. After applying and not making it on the show for season 2 i began my own weight loss regimen of diet and exercise. I am proud to say i lost 230 pounds! I truly believe the Biggest Loser saved my life and i also believe the lives of many others! Unfortunately i have gained back some of the weight i had lost but, were it not for The Biggest Loser it could and would have been worse! Just saying.

blfan January 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm

huge biggest loser fan.

Sherrie Atteberry January 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I believe the show should be renewed, it has provided an avenue of motivation to many people who had lost hope at losing weight the old fashioned way nutrition and exercise. I believe casting is a huge part, people want to relate and be inspired by the contestants. Casting is a very hard job, but that is where you make it or break it… The show is more than regaining your life, when you are a fan favorite the audience want to see you and follow you to continue to be inspired. So I think you need people who can carry on after the show…It is one good cast away from being a hit again…