The Blacklist: Season Two Renewal from NBC

The Blacklist on NBC season twoLess than 24 hours after NBC aired the winter finale, the network has renewed The Blacklist for a second season. They’ve ordered a full season of 22 episodes for 2014-15.

Starring James Spader, the show has been the top-rated new show this season in both the 18-49 demographic and in total viewers. It’s aired after The Voice, NBC’s most-popular show, but will return for a three episode run starting January 13th — without that strong lead-in.

“The success of The Blacklist demonstrates that inspired storytelling is alive and well in broadcast television, and I’m impressed on a daily basis by this creative team’s imagination and the extent to which they will go to capture this grand vision on film,” NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt said. “With gratitude to both our partners at Sony Pictures Television and our NBC development executives who took a great script and shepherded it into a great series, I hope that Red Reddington never runs out of names to bring down on his list!”

What do you think? Are you a fan? Are you glad to hear that The Blacklist will be back for 2014-15?

scott January 4, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Best show on tv. Puts 24 to shame. Hope you have a long run.

Star December 16, 2013 at 3:58 pm

OMG!!! So excited….watched James Spader since he and I were kids!!!! Guy is amazing! Boston Legal…etc!! Addicted to this show..can’t wait to see more…was holding onto my seat waiting to find out! Yay!

Anonymous December 13, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Love the show! Have become obsessed with it. Telling everyone about it. Can’t wait for season 2. I find myself like some of those women who will not miss their favorite soaps .
James Spader is one of the greatest actors ever. Thumbs up to all the cast and writers, I am a fan.

kristin smith December 10, 2013 at 10:00 pm

YES IM SO HAPPY!! Love love this show!!!

Kate Fredericks December 4, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Not only is The Blacklist the first truly brilliant show NBC has bought and shown since Journeyman by Kevin Falls in 2007 (and promptly cancelled, another dumb-headed move by what I now call The No-Brains Corporation), but with this show, it has the first chance to pull itself out of last place (CW doesn’t count) since I can remember. However, I must urge them not to lean so heavily on the incredible James Spader to continue to pull this show into the brilliant range. Frankly, as much as I love this show, without jumping on Imbd, I could not name one other actor on the show. If NBC wants to keep this show brilliant, while I suspect the inimitable Mr. Spader is fully capable of keeping it in the top tier alone, they need to somehow get some crackle going with at least one other actor. The young lady is not up to Spader’s level by any means, and either needs extra tutoring or outright acting classes. She is lovely, but she needs the spunk of Taraji Henson or the beautiful young star of Sleepy Hollow. Just my opinion. But I would like this show to stick around a couple of years and NBC would be well served to get the rest of the Blacklist cast at least close to the charismatic James Spader in performance excellence. As I have observed with this season’s Homeland (where in the world is Brody?), a show can only be brilliant if what works keeps working. Taking out nearly half the show, changing the temperaments of characters only creates confusion and weariness by people too busy to spend valuable time on a show that is beginning to sag. So, NBC, yes, it’s me again!!! Please don’t blow it this time around!! The Blacklist needs tweaking in the supporting cast department! And thank you for being smart for once and renewing The Blacklist for another full year. I never thought you would have a show that is again my personal favorite!

Di December 4, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Absolutely love this show; anxious for it to return ASAP. James Spader is amazing in this.

Tayla December 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm

This is great news. James Spader is captivating in this series and it’s become my new favorite show.

Amy December 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I am 49 and I love watching TV, so our demographic should be counted!

Kate Fredericks December 4, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Your demographic still IS counted, Amy. However, not only do you have the big old 5-0 staring down at you, but the privilege of no longer being a useful member of the human race according to the dumb-heads who run televisionland. I am 60! Being old is bad enough. Being unimportant as a marketing tool for television executives, well, I say we sue them for bigotry!!! I have spent 10 years watching TV and felt really guilty every time a show gets canceled for not being watched by the “right” demographic. Last year we lost CSINY and Vegas, both top 20 shows, both being watched by too many of us rocking chair-sitting codgers out here with no money to spend!! (Note to advertisers and networks – I worked hard for 40 years and am now VERY comfortably retired. I also don’t by the products you advertise on purpose, just to let you know). So please join me and others as you, too, will now bear the weight of being responsible for getting great shows canceled!!!

Linda December 5, 2013 at 10:27 am

Yeah! I’ve been sitting on pins & needles hoping they would renew “The Blacklist”, one of the best shows on TV. I am 64 and retired so I have much more time than I ever did to watch TV. We baby boomers consist of a large part of the demographic, so why don’t our opinions count? I love history and when they cancelled “Copper” and ended “The White Queen” I was furious! I have become leary of getting involved with a new show, only to worry that it will be cancelled. Now they have “Reign” which is apparently doing well, despite the lack of good writing & acting. This show is so modernized for the younger generation that even the costumes are ridiculous when compared with actual 16th century fashions. Oh well, what do I know, I’m just an “old codger”.

Amy December 5, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Well, I guess us old codgers better stick together! :)

Kate Fredericks December 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm

You betcha, Linda and Amy. Keep writing and informing them that between 30 and 55 (ages), I NEVER watched TV because I was raising children and working. Now that I am retired, not only do I have more disposable income, but lots more time! The only tool we have is our computers and lots of time to keep letting them know how bigoted they are by considering us non-persons (not to mention how dumb-headed they are being for leaving out the largest demographic with time and money – a two-year-old could figure out that we, the boomers, are NOT our parents generation, are living longer, and deserve respect, not derision!). But anyway, Linda, you needn’t have worried about The Blacklist. Not only does it have strong ratings, but the quality and, well, James Spader!!!! I never worried for a minute that it would not get picked up for a second year. Just pray that the show-runner stays the same, the scripts continue to be outstanding, and (I hate to say this) the “right” demographic continues to watch it (geez, like I said, it’s bad enough our bodies are falling apart, but not even a smidge of respect? I think of all the things I did NOT expect as I aged, this is probably at the top of my list! However, we will get revenge. I know they don’t think so now, but the children running the networks will soon join us and get to experience how it feels!) Keep writing and get other over 50’s to see the stupidity of the networks. :-) We are the largest demographic and getting larger every day! Our numbers have to count for something!

Rose December 4, 2013 at 4:32 am

THIS is NBC’s ONLY smart decision! Love this show, too.

By the way, what’s wrong w/including the OVER 49 demographic? Yes, we DO watch TV as well.

MK December 4, 2013 at 11:54 am

Right on! (from a not quite 49 year old) ;-)

A Leishman December 5, 2013 at 8:02 am

They don’t really care if you watch the show. They only care if you are easily manipulated by the advertising during the show. Once you get to a certain age, you don’t purchase things just because they are shiny and new.

Advertising, product placement or commercials, is their income. If you don’t blindly spend your money, you are far less important to their bottom line.

Kate Fredericks April 9, 2014 at 6:14 am

Hate to say it, A (it’s YOU on Pretty Little Liars, isn’t it! :-D ), but I could be put into that category. In fact, I raised three children. No TV allowed in the house. The two youngest still don’t watch TV (both in their slobbering demographic at 25 – 28). My eldest daughter is like me, only without the education and consequently the job to afford it. So, because she is my best friend as well as daughter, we help her out without a moment’s guilt. Luckily she’s in the right demographic. Good thing those nutballs at the networks don’t know I finance her spending habits. She’d get thrown out of the pack! I love shiney things and love spending money. So much for right & wrong demographic! But once again, I CAN AFFORD IT!!! Obviously this issue is only one of the few bigotries allowed fester today. They have NO idea that we baby boomers are NOT our older parent’s generation (the ones who made less money, retired earlier and don’t have the disposable income of their children’s generation) those of us over 55 and up who not only have no plans to retire, liking the income and not understanding that whole sitting home all day or playing golf, etc., and don’t really look forward to pinching pennies when we are perfectly capable of still making those pennies. How do we get this through the thick heads of that dumb, wealthy Hollywood crowd who seriously have NO idea how trends amongst people growing older are changing? The reason so many shows are coming and going faster and faster as they chase that younger demographic, in the process, dumping some really great shows is that the younger generation are more ADD than we are. They can easily switch to gaming which they grew up with, so they just stop watching TV altogether, for the gaming world which they can get more consistency with, leaving the majority of TV watchers us codgers in the wrong demographic. Look at them now? Actually considering cancelling the excellent Almost Human and Intelligence. So, they are creating their own demise through their stupidity and ignorance!!!!!

Benji December 4, 2013 at 1:55 am

Looks Like NBC Made AN Awesome Decision Especially After Last Nights episode! This Show Will Be On For Years To Come!!

Judith Hines December 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm

This is one. Of the most intriguing series I have seen in ages! James Spader is not only hot & sexy in this, but he’s an amazing actor! What talent!!!!

Anthony Bassien-Capsa December 3, 2013 at 9:08 pm

It’s a good thing for NBC!!! Those last years, when they launch new shows, they’re often been cancelled after only one season!!!

Lynn December 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Love James Spader & LOVE this show!

Shawn December 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Fuck K yeah! Great show!

Amy December 3, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Smart decision NBC! The Blacklist is the best thing to have to your network in ages, and TV in general!