The Borgias: Ending After Four Seasons?

The Borgias ending with season four

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour, Showtime entertainment president David Nevins gave a brief update on the status of The Borgias, the cable channel’s historical fiction drama.

Taking place in 16th century Rome, The Borgias revolves the Borgia family — their rise to power in the Roman Catholic Church and their struggles to maintain it. Created by Neil Jordan, the large cast includes Jeremy Irons, Francois Arnaud, Holliday Grainger, Joanne Whalley, Lotte Verbeek, David Oakes, Sean Harris, Peter Sullivan, Simon McBurney, Steven Berkoff, Aidan Alexander, Julian Bleach, and Colm Feore.

Showtime ordered a third round of 10 episodes in early May and season two finished airing on June 17th.

Nevins said that production is currently underway on season three and that the origianl plan was for the TV series to run four seasons. He said, “That’s still the likely thing, but I haven’t ordered season four and who’s to say we won’t try to do one more.”

What do you think? Are you a fan of the show? Does four seasons sound like the right time to end The Borgias or would you be interested in a fifth or sixth season?

Juanita Bobo March 3, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I love the show I do not want it cancelled

Claudia C February 22, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I would watch as many seasons as they make. I love the Borgias!! Keep them coming. It is one of the best shows ever.

Duchess W. October 9, 2013 at 4:17 pm

As a screenwriter myself, I understand the complexities of putting on a big show like the Borgias; there is a need for the fourth season. It has to continue, you have to give the viewers a chance to see what happens next.

Kathy July 30, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Love the series – would watch as many seasons as you can create!

Maria July 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Absolutely LOVE this show. Please keep it going. The Borgias are a very interesting family with so much history. Great Story, Crazy family and wonderful to watch.

Bev Keller July 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I would like the series to continue until the end of the Borgia story has been told

beverly burgess July 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I Love the show, think it’s fantastic, the costumes, the drama and chemistry between the actors is just brillant, it’s a wonderful combination of excellent talent.Definitely one of the best series out there, and so much better and sophisticated than Game of Thrones. P. It’s really a bad decision to cancel The Borgias. Please think it over , network executives, and do season 4
Thanks

Anonymous July 17, 2013 at 12:45 am

More please my mom and both love the show and wow what great actor/actresses the show has. Cesares hot baby hot

Suzi July 8, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Can’t get enough of Borgias. Showtime please say yes to season 4.

Ruth June 28, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I love this show….Jeremy Irons is fabulous and all the characters. Please season 4 or more.
How could you not at least wrap it up…..

donna regh June 17, 2013 at 6:10 pm

keep this going till season 6

Jenn June 10, 2013 at 1:30 am

I would love a 4th, if not 5th season. I do think the way they have hurried the story along that only a 5th season is viable if they follow Lucrezia’s marriage to Alfonso D’Este, her affair with Bembo etc. I feel they have to do a 4th season just to wrap up the whole series. I’m tired of shows that either last too long or never get a chance to wrap up their stories; so 4 seasons would do just fine for The Borgias.

kora May 11, 2013 at 4:39 pm

this is a great show, may be even best historical show i’ve ever watch. will be glad to see this fantastic and gifted cast for 5th season (surely for the 4th)

Bill Crouch May 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Jeremy Irons really, really sucks. I can’t believe that a guy who made his living playing gay characters hates the Gay Community so much! His comments are cruel and shocking and completely narcissistic. How could he say those things? It’s sad because now all of my friends are boycotting this show and it really deserves to go another season. Too bad.