The Borgias: Ending After Four Seasons?

The Borgias ending with season four

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour, Showtime entertainment president David Nevins gave a brief update on the status of The Borgias, the cable channel’s historical fiction drama.

Taking place in 16th century Rome, The Borgias revolves the Borgia family — their rise to power in the Roman Catholic Church and their struggles to maintain it. Created by Neil Jordan, the large cast includes Jeremy Irons, Francois Arnaud, Holliday Grainger, Joanne Whalley, Lotte Verbeek, David Oakes, Sean Harris, Peter Sullivan, Simon McBurney, Steven Berkoff, Aidan Alexander, Julian Bleach, and Colm Feore.

Showtime ordered a third round of 10 episodes in early May and season two finished airing on June 17th.

Nevins said that production is currently underway on season three and that the origianl plan was for the TV series to run four seasons. He said, “That’s still the likely thing, but I haven’t ordered season four and who’s to say we won’t try to do one more.”

What do you think? Are you a fan of the show? Does four seasons sound like the right time to end The Borgias or would you be interested in a fifth or sixth season?

Elizabeth October 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm

It would be great to see what happens to each of the main characters following Alexander’s death which would likely go into season 4 and then to continue with the others characters would be great. It would be great to see more than 4 seasons.

georgia September 23, 2012 at 3:51 am

love this show. could watch it forever !!! can not wait for series 3 !!

Connie September 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Love the Borgias! Please give another season. Plus I was shocked that Game of Thrones beat it with that new Emmies Awards for Best Costumes. Someone got Bribed!

lilgrlAlice September 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm

plz plz plz continue for as long as possible. I’m in complete love with show… if it goes for 6 seasons i will be thrilled!!

Sara August 22, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I would be really sad if they end it with Rodrigo’s death. It would be better to end it with Cesare’s, or even better, with a sort of happily ever after for Lucrezia (not her death though). The story seems almost to be more about Cesare anyways.

Elizabeth August 10, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I would love to see the Borgias continue on past Season 4. Quite abit happens even upon Alexander’s death. There’s alot of material to continue with as there was with the Tudors. I do, however, feel the Borgias is better. There was plenty of material to go beyond Season 4 with the Tudors however. I would really like to see the Borgias go on beyond Season 4.

chloƩ August 6, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I love The Borgias !! Machiavel is awsome !

melinadrake August 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Love it! 5, 6 I would continue with Julius 2 he was also quite a charactere !

Kelli August 3, 2012 at 9:55 am

Pretty much same principle as ending the Tudors after 4 seasons. Though I would have liked to see them continue with events leading up to Elizabeth’s reign. Back onto the topic at hand, I think this show is wonderfully done, but I do think 4 seasons is absolutely reasonable.

blondcurles August 3, 2012 at 6:34 am

the poe dies early om so i think 4 seasons is enought. vanossa out lives them all!

Gilly Hynes August 2, 2012 at 11:35 pm

4 Seasons sounds about right – depending on whether all aspects of The Borgia’s lives are fully covered. The cast spend 6 months shooting in Budapest. It’s a big ask to get them to do that for over 4 years. On a personal level I could keep watching it indefinately ! Superb writing, filming, sets, costumes, lighting and the cast are just wonderful. I will never imagine Rodrigo Borgia now as anyone other than Jeremy Irons and Francois Arnaud is the ultimate Cesare and the same for Holliday Grainger as Lucrezia. Fabulous casting all round.

Lee August 2, 2012 at 8:48 am

I like ‘Borgias.’ I think 4 seasons sounds right. I wouldn’t want to feel the story was being stretched just to extend the show. Quality over quantity.

silvina August 2, 2012 at 6:18 am

One more season of Borgia, one more, one more, please !!!!!!!!!!

Julie Taylor August 2, 2012 at 3:15 am

The show was even better season two. It could only get better with time.

meshea August 1, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Love it! Just keep going! Don’t cut it off like you did the Tudors for crying out loud!!!!!