The Borgias: Ending After Four Seasons?

The Borgias ending with season four

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour, Showtime entertainment president David Nevins gave a brief update on the status of The Borgias, the cable channel’s historical fiction drama.

Taking place in 16th century Rome, The Borgias revolves the Borgia family — their rise to power in the Roman Catholic Church and their struggles to maintain it. Created by Neil Jordan, the large cast includes Jeremy Irons, Francois Arnaud, Holliday Grainger, Joanne Whalley, Lotte Verbeek, David Oakes, Sean Harris, Peter Sullivan, Simon McBurney, Steven Berkoff, Aidan Alexander, Julian Bleach, and Colm Feore.

Showtime ordered a third round of 10 episodes in early May and season two finished airing on June 17th.

Nevins said that production is currently underway on season three and that the origianl plan was for the TV series to run four seasons. He said, “That’s still the likely thing, but I haven’t ordered season four and who’s to say we won’t try to do one more.”

What do you think? Are you a fan of the show? Does four seasons sound like the right time to end The Borgias or would you be interested in a fifth or sixth season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

45 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Inspiration says

Absolutely we need season 4, we need it as long as Francois Arnaud starring it. It is an amazing show.

2. says

Absolutely yes, make a season 4. In fact, keep going. Not only does it give the viewer a sense of history lost in most history books but the acting is beyond excellent. Cesare and Lucrezia are phenoms and the precious Jeremy Irons makes one wonder how better could acting get! Keep them on the air even past the borgia pope’s death.

3. Elizabeth says

I absolutely want a 4th season of the Borgias. I would be thrilled to see the Borgias go into a 5th, 6th season – however long it can be. But absolutely , a 4th season – no doubt. I absolutely love the show.

4. jennycx007 says

YES! Take it as far as you can go. At the LEAST, season 4. I buy all the dvd’s the moment they come out as well, can’t get enough of this fantastic, top quality show!

5. elisabetta says

Love the Borgias, i really hope there is going to be a season 4…..the acting is fantastic…and the story line is great.

6. Kel says

I love this Show! Jeremy and Fracious and Holliday are all wonderful actors! I would hate to see them go so early! Pls Keep them going for at least one more season if not two!

7. Helen says

I’d love to see more of Jeremy Irons’ great performances…so a few more seasons are welcome…but I wouldn’t want to see to the death of Alexander VI. An artful ending as in “The Tudors” with the contemplation of an eminent death would be far more satisfying.

8. mary simmons says

i also love this show and am waiting the return of season 4. when might it start?theres just so much of honey a person can stand!

9. Susan says

I have been waiting anxiously for the return of this series. The cast is wonderful and the script is intoxicating. I would like it yo continue as far as the Borgia’s line impacts history. After all the name of the series is Borgia.

10. Veronica says

“The Tudors” is my favourite TV show and I definitely prefer “The Tudors” to “The Borgias” but still I enjoy watching “The Borgias” very much as it is a nice follow-up series to my all-time favourite. Four seasons of “The Borgias” seem appropriate to me but they could go on with a fifth one in order to show what happened after Rodrigo’s death. I already think about what kind of “The” could come afterwards…