The Borgias: To End with a Movie, Not Season Four?

The Borgias ending?According to Deadline, things aren’t looking too good for Showtime’s The Borgias. It’s being reported that the historical drama may not get a fourth season and instead finish off the ongoing storylines with a movie.

A final decision about the show’s future isn’t likely to be be made until season three finishes airing. Though The Borgas is a beautiful series and boasts talented performers, it’s not a ratings hit. The initial airings of season three episodes have been averaging just 570,000 viewers — on par with season two.

As reported earlier, series creator Neil Jordan has said that he envisioned The Borgias running for four years. However, while promoting season three, Jordan told the British press, “I would like to finish it with a two-hour movie… Another 10 episodes is kind of exhausting. I’ve mapped out a movie, which, if [the Showtime executives] agree, will shoot in June with the same cast, and finally the Pope will die horribly.”

Four episodes of season three have aired so far, leaving six left to go. The finale is expected to run on June 16th.

What do you think? Would you rather have a fourth (and final) season or a movie to end the show? Is the series still compelling television?

Kim February 17, 2014 at 6:00 pm

We are disheartened at the fact that an exciting show as The Borgias is not going to be on anymore! My idea, why don’t you make it into a 3 part, 2 hours each, mini series! That would be the way to go and then we all who enjoy watching this terrific show would get to enjoy at least 6 more hours of The Borgias and you could put a lot more in it than what would be put in just 2 hours! Please don’t end it now or with just a 2 hour movie, 2 hours is NOT enough! :(

karen August 10, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Im verry upset about this /

Marianela Hernandez June 24, 2013 at 9:25 am

Not Season Four?
BIG MISTAKE !!!!

Vicky June 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm

It would be great if you would finish the life of the Pope in a mini series like was talked about. I do not like this ending..

Karen June 17, 2013 at 3:34 am

I am beyond upset. I pay to watch SHO so they aren’t forced to have to pay much attention to ratings. Or at least, not have to suddenly end a series in the middle of something important, like they have done with The Borgias. I was hearing that they were going to make a 2 hour movie to wrap things up, which made me happy, but now I hear that was also cancelled. So, what is wrong with SHO? Is this an indication that they no longer have any consideration or respect for their clients? Does this mean that I can no longer trust that it’s okay for me to get involved in a SHO series, just to be left rudely hanging? I am now leaning towards cancelling SHO and getting Cinemax instead, to go along with the HBO and STARZ I also have. I can wait for SHO series to come to dvd, since I already have Netflix. SHO already has a poor selection of movies which I can easily rent from Netflix. Oh, there is another Borgia series that Netflix makes available to rent or stream. It is very good and as well produced and intriguing as the SHO version. It is in preproduction for it’s 3rd and final season. Which means, they have gone to the trouble to plan ahead and wrap it up for the viewers. I would suggest, for others left hanging, to watch that one from the beginning, since there are many details and stories that were left out of the SHO version.

EJ Owens June 17, 2013 at 1:09 am

The Borgias has been a greatvseriesnwith beautiful sets, significant and great actors, wonderful stories, and it never failed me to set up my anticipation for the next episode. I am wholly disappointed there will not be a next season. I fear any end-of-series movie will not do the original series justice.

Jennifer C. June 10, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I am upset to hear that there may not be a fourth season! I love “The Borgias!”