The Bridge: New CBS Police Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

The BridgeCBS recently unveiled a new show called The Bridge. Never heard of it? You’re not alone and you just know that doesn’t bode well for the TV show’s future.

The Bridge revolves around a tough and dedicated cop who’s voted to become the police union’s leader. Officer Frank Leo (Aaron Douglas) ends up fighting crime on the streets while also battling corruption on the force. The series features Douglas, Frank Cassini, Michael Murphy, Ona Grauer, Paul Popowich, and Theresa Joy.

The TV show debuted on Saturday night with two episodes. Per the overnights, the first episode attracted an invisible 0.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 2.98 million viewers. It was easily beaten by repeats of Cops and America’s Funniest Home Videos.

What do you think of The Bridge?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The second episode of The Bridge drew a 0.5 rating in the demo and increased to a still meager 3.51 million viewers. It was trounced by America’s Most Wanted but did beat a repeat of ABC’s struggling Scoundrels.

You know a series is in trouble when, after just a few episodes, it’s sent to a timeslot on little-watched Saturday nights. When a show debuts on Saturday nights during the summer, you can just tell the network has no faith in it and is just burning off the episodes.

TV show supportThe Bridge comes from Canada’s CTV, in a similar arrangement as Flashpoint. It’s much cheaper for CBS than the scripted programming that the network commissions itself. Still, these numbers are horrible. CTV has already ordered a second season but there’s essentially no incentive for CBS to pick it up with ratings like these.

CBS has 11 more episodes of The Bridge. As currently scheduled, they’ll run on Saturday nights through September. With ratings like these, that seems highly unlikely to happen.

What do you think? Had you even heard of it? If so, is The Bridge worth watching? Would you cancel or keep it?

Mary July 29, 2010 at 5:43 am

I loved it and hope the CBS picks it up. I think the poor ratings were due to the day of the week it showed and the last of publicity it got. Great acting and worth a second shot!

Jackie July 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm

My husband and I both enjoy “The Bridge”. Like comments above, they keep cancelling good shows and leave on the reality shows. My niece knew a guy on one of the reality shows and he is an actor. Strike one for the reality shows. Anyway, the statistics I just read showed the second episode of the Bridge was picking up viewers. Shouldn’t they wait until after five or more episodes before they make a decision? What else do they have for Saturday night? Also, what happened to looking at the over 49 group. Did they go somewhere I forgot to go? Doesn’t CBS, or any of the other networks, know the under 49 are out having a good time and not at home watching TV. They need to start looking at ALL age groups. CBS needs to bring back The Bridge.

Rick July 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm

My wife and watched the initial episode and really enjoyed. It had not been promoted by CBS but we thought it had to be better than some old reality show. We thought it was great and watched it the next week. We were looking forward to the show on the 24th and noticed it had been replaced by some rerun without notice. We figured there were those who did not like the union concept and decided to can it. We need more good shows like that not fewer.

lizzi July 25, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I really liked the show. Would like to see it given more of a chance. People haven’t even heard of it…why would they watch a show that’s not even advertised. These networks have too much power over our viewing. Maybe it will get a 2nd life on a good cable network like USA. I have my fingers crossed.

Juli-Ann Kay July 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I worked on this at the very beginning… Wished it would have worked… However, Toronto has become an old boys club and this is not the only show to fail… Toronto … WOW … so afraid to develop new concepts … actors … film makers…

If you Watch the Gemini’s … you don’t even know who or what they are talking about… it’s like they are in their own world… no news is good press to them…..

Wake up Toronto, Wake up… this city has got such a negetive vibe to it… start looking at some new people to join your tired industry…

Anonymous July 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Keep it. One of the best new cop shows in years. If CBS doesn’t want to spend the money to promote this show, give it to one of the cable networks where it will have a good home.

Paul July 25, 2010 at 8:26 am

Very good police drama! It deserves a chance to reach a larger viewer base.

Jackie July 24, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I think it is one the best shows on this season.

Cait July 24, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I, too, accidentally stumbled upon the pilot – and thought it was wonderful. I am quite disappointed that it has not been advertised at all – and then, tonite, has been replaced by a repeat of Cold Case. CBS has missed it! maybe I need to move to Canada – I love Flashpoint, DaVinci, and everything else I have seen from CTV ;)

Tom July 24, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I’m glad they cancelled it. I watched the first two episodes and they stunk. A group of junior high schoolers could have written a better scrip. There were way too many story lines, no development of story lines, and contrived story lines. They build up this one story line about his relationship with his father, then his father dies and nothing more is said about it? No funeral? No grieving? Then there’s the story line of the two cops who “beat” a suspect. There’s this supposedly big investigation into it, but if you pay attention the whole investigation takes place is a day and a half. Some investigation.

Why CBS every agreed to air garbage like this is beyond me.

Carolyn July 24, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Another good and different show bites the dust. They put it in the TV graveyard on Saturday night in the summer. We recorded it and were pleasantly surprised. We are disgusted with CBS for taking off some other good shows, Cold Case, Without a Trace, Numbers.

Carolyn 7-24-10

Diane July 24, 2010 at 11:59 am

I think this is a great show. It shows the police at work from a different angle. I try to watch the new summer shows and there is not much there, but this show is really, really good. Since it is a Canadian show maybe that’s what makes it interesting and different much like Flashpoint, which is also Canadian. And what happened to the show that was to air on 7/24.

marcia richard July 24, 2010 at 9:12 am

I was looking forward to watch this series and especially the one that was suppose to air on 7/24 “The Unguarded Moment” but noticed CBS is now not showing it. I saw clips of this show and this is just what we need besides all those Reality Shows. Just because it is Canadian should not make a difference because Canada does a great job in the industry and were they show our shows we should do the same for them. I myself would love to see “The Bridge” back on if not Saturday try another night after a poplular show to get more viewers.

Sue V July 25, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Yes, my TiVO was supposed to record it, but got an old episode of some other show. What happened to “Unguarded Moment”?

Stephanie July 23, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I ran upon the opening two hour pilot and was greatly suprised. I think it was fantastic. I talked to people about it and go figure. No one heard of it. There was so much building of characters in the opening show, if you didn’t see it, you would not appreciate the next episode nearly enough. In my opinion, CBS missed the mark in not “maarketing” the show just a little. I have now had 10 people go online an watch the opener and watch the next episode and guess what… They LOVE it as well. If CBS was smart, (they don’t have that many great shows right now) they would run some hype, re-show the 2 hour opener and keep the show on the air. I have not been this excited about a “cop” show since Hill Street Blues and Law and Order. I hope the BIG WIGS at CBS see this and take some advise from the those of us that depend on them to give us what we want to see. Missed any episoded, I urge you to watch online and you too will be posting a comment.. I promise…

Diane July 22, 2010 at 8:30 am

I’m not surprised a show that focuses positively on a working Union would be swept under the rug. The US is owned and controlled by Businesses who want to keep the American people in the dark about the strength and dignity of unions.