The Bridge: CBS President Talks About Cancelled Show

The BridgeBy putting The Bridge on the least-watched night of television, it was clear that CBS didn’t have much faith in the Canadian TV show from the start. After just two weeks, three episodes, and low ratings, the series was pulled from the schedule.

At this week’s press tour, CBS president Nina Tassler explained, “The show wasn’t delivering the numbers that we needed… Generally, our summer strategy works, and I think we’ll continue to look at other ways to do other Canadian productions and other kinds of scripted shows during the summer.”

The Bridge continues to be popular in Canada and CTV has already ordered a second season.

Unfortunately, there’s no such luck for US viewers. CBS hasn’t announced any plans to air the remaining 10 episodes of season one or to release them online.

A CTV representative also tells us that there are currently no plans to release the series on DVD.

What do you think? Do you want to see the remaining episodes? Would you consider buying The Bridge on DVD?

Canceled and renewed TV show

62 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. ddiamondr says

The Bridge is a great series and I am so glad it continues on Canadian t.v. I believe The Bridge will go on for years. It’s got ‘legs’ as they say. CBS could learn a lesson from Grant Tinker, the great NBC chief who shepherded some great series through whole seasons of low ratings because he knew they were good series…Cheers was at the bottom, dead last, it’s first season, but Tinker did not cancel. Hillstreet Blues was the same. Both of these much lauded and loved series would have died a quick death at CBS.

Open your eyes CBS!

2. Yang Ping says

I really liked the show and very disappointed that it’s cancelled by CBS. Would love to have the show back in US. if not, will definitely watch it on DVD. there are other crappy shows CBS should have cancelled.

3. MARY says

great show, leave it to cbs to cancel–its one of the better ones that i have seen. come-on cbs, give it another chance.

4. Terry says

I was just getting into the show when I found it was cancelled. CBS made a mistake on this one. Hopefully one of the cable channels will pick it up and the big networks will learn another lesson a la “The Closer”, “Memphis Blues” and others.

5. Carol Clarke says

I can not believe The Bridge was cancelled by CBS! The Bridge is one the best shows I’ve seen on TV in the last 5 years! It’s got everything! The characters are real, the plots, the action, the acting, it’s Canadian, and it’s exciting. I like seeing some Toronto locations in the shows too. I hope to see a lot more of The Bridge on TV, it’s one of the few programs that are worth watching on TV nowadays. I tried to find The Bridge on DVD earlier in 2010, and disappointed it is not available yet. I hope to see new episodes of The Bridge in the future.

6. Cindy Zimmerman says

I cannot believe The Bridge was cancelled. 1 of the best new shows I have seen in a long time. With all the crap on tv maybe CBS should have given it more than 2 shows to catch on!

7. Evan Woods says

Awesome show, it’s a shame that CBS did everything possible to hide this show. I would definitely buy it on dvd

8. says

This was a great show….for once we had a program had an interesting plot and one that was well acted. Its a shame that the CBS execs got it wrong….I think that many of them don’t have enough experience to make a call like that. The Canadians got it right. I would definately get this program on dvd or watch it on the web.

9. Anonymous says

Great show…the new sopranos! just a shame, what they did to this show..wrong day plus no true push! why because it ruffled a few feathers? Give it back.

10. kc64 says

leave it to CBS to put one of the best shows I have seen in a while on Saturday night where it did not stand a chance to draw an audience. Should try it some other night when they have some of the worst shows I have ever seen.

11. Sharon says

I really enjoyed The Bridge and am very disappointed that the series was cancelled. Please reconsider and put it back on.