The Cleaner: A&E Series Cancelled; No Season Three for Benjamin Bratt

The CleanerA&E has decided to get rid of another original drama series. After two years on the air, they’re dropping The Cleaner.

In The Cleaner, Benjamin Bratt plays William Banks, a recovering drug addict from Los Angeles. Following the birth of his daughter, Banks made a deal with God that he would end his drug use and help others beat their addictions as well. He and his team of recovering addicts use whatever means necessary to help end others’ addictions. Others in the cast include Grace Park, Esteban Powell, Kevin Michael Richardson, Amy Price-Francis, Liliana Mumy, and Brett DelBuono.

The drama kicked off on July 15, 2008 and attracted 2.58 million viewers with a 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demo. Season one averaged 1.1 million viewers in initial viewings and 4.2 million through multiple airings. A&E boasted that The Cleaner was the network’s highest rated original drama to date among adults 18-49 and 25-54.

Should The Cleaner have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

When the show was renewed for a second season, Bob DeBitetto, A&E’s President and General Manager, said, “The Cleaner has garnered critical acclaim and a loyal audience in its first season… Its authentic, dramatic storytelling combined with superb acting, led by an exceptional performance by Benjamin Bratt, has struck a chord with A&E viewers. It is exactly the sort of high quality, engaging programming that our fans have come to expect.”

Now, following a drop in ratings for season two, A&E has changed its mind about The Cleaner. The second round of episodes concluded on September 15th and, according to THR, the cable channel has decided not to order a third.

No reason was given for the cancellation but A&E typically draws more viewers for cheaper, unscripted programming. The Beast, another A&E drama, was cancelled earlier this year, months prior to star Patrick Swayze’s death.

What do you think? Are you sorry to see The Cleaner go? Was the show any less compelling or watchable in season two?

meka April 14, 2011 at 11:45 am

I agree with the other viewer I really love the show I even had my kids watching it to so they can see some of the effect that drugs can do and they really got into it really hated to see it go

Elizabeth April 6, 2011 at 4:17 am

I’m pissed.

froggyliscious April 5, 2011 at 1:55 am

I am extremely upset about the cancellation it was the only t.v show I have ever religiously watched every single week, I never missed a single episode. I still keep checking on my tv hoping maybe they will bring it back. A&E sucks!!!!!!!

yvon April 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm

the cleaner was an excellent show very realistic and gritty well acted but like all good shows they get cancelled for the sake of crappy un-reality shows. to bad they don’t know a good thing when they have it.

mike April 1, 2011 at 1:41 am

i agree what are they thinking it was getting great ratings just because the second season dropped a little this makes me not want to start watching any a and e series because they will just drop it as soon as the ratings go down a little so why start something I’m not going to get to finish?!

kauakaeo March 28, 2011 at 4:20 am

Don’t know how u could cancel a show like this. When they changed the day that always screws things up…

kauakaeo March 28, 2011 at 4:17 am

to boost the ratings all u had to do was get rid of the lady that was acting as his wife she just wasn’t right, not a match for Benjamin Pratt. Her character irritated me as well, she was selfish couldn’t just accept that he loved helping people. And that must always come first when you serve God she was not supportive at all. Just couldn’t be happy that he was clean and wanted to do something else other than drugs.

Titilayo Adegbile March 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

The Cleaner was riveting! It encompassed the peaks and valleys of emotions and experiences that people have in this journey we call life. Benjamin Bratt was extraordinary!! The cast was superb. The writing was unbelievable. So the only problem i can see is that such a wonderful show got stuck with a sorry network.

jennyboo March 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm

bejamin pratt is hot

Rita March 4, 2011 at 6:22 pm

A&E sucks for things like this. I mean The Cleaner, like Dog the Bounty Hunter was one of the best shows. Now they got some storage wars? Are you serious? All people on that show do is argue about who gets what, A&E needs to get their stuff together like majorly!! This is so much BS!

níall MccCarthy February 24, 2011 at 8:24 pm

whats with u.s tv shows very are finished there have been alot of good shows the unit , deadwood , the cleaner , brotherhood , without a trace and many more . i hate it because you once you start enjoying a story and you never find out the ending i wish all u.s networks stuck to there shows until they end them right

Julie Eggers February 8, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I really liked the show The Cleaner… I think that it was a very good tv show. Would very much like to see it come back!!!

Carlene February 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

I am really sad The Cleaner was cancelled. It was a very “in your face” show about the effects of drug use. Thought it was very well written and acted. Loved all the actors involved. Saw Grace Park on Hawaii Five-O and realized, uh-oh, no more Cleaner. Would love to see it brought back.

jennell February 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I THINK ITS WAS AN AMAZING SHOW AND THEY SHOULD BRING IT BACK!!!

Diane February 4, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I am still really sorry that you cancelled The Cleaner. Such a good show!!!! How come? Bring it back.