The Closer: Final Seventh Season Extended, Spin-off Coming

The CloserIt looks like The Closer is going to last a little bit longer. Last year it was announced that the most successful drama on cable was ending after seven seasons, per the request of star Kyra Sedgwick. Season seven was to be made up of 15 installments that would air over the summer. Last week, we reported that there were rumblings about finding a way to keep the show going.

Now, TNT has ordered six additional episodes of the series which will pave the way for a spin-off with others from the Closer cast. According to EW, 10 episodes of The Closer will air over the summer. Another five will air next winter and then six more will run next summer. Those last six installments will serve as a farewell to Sedgwick’s Brenda Leigh Johnson and possibly set up another character as the focus for a spin-off.

Right now, its looking like the new show will be called Major Crimes. It’ll likely focus on the behind-the-scenes deal-making that keeps some of the most dangerous criminals off death row. EW reports that these kinds of deals will play a big role in the final episodes and will end up being the reason for Brenda leaving.

What do you think? Are you glad there will be more episodes of The Closer? Do you like the sounds of the spin-off?

Carolyn July 11, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I agreed with all of u I watched the show try to give Major Crimes a chance. and Sharon is not that bad she is evolving she is actually pretty good. I could not stand her either……but she is not that bad anymore they finally took that stick out her ass …. I wish they would have kept David ……I am not really feeling the Stokes person…… But at least she is not a kiss ass anymore…… And it seems that Sharon is becoming more and more like Brenda everyday……..Especially after the other cast set her straight…… The show is not that bad..and check out King and Maxwell ……..Brenda husband from the show is in that one……

Betty September 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I’m sorry Brenda Lee Johnson is gone. She really made the show. I will miss th closer. I do not like “major crimes”!!!! AThe spin off is dull in action and the actors/actresses are not very vibrant. I miss Brenda and some of the other characters.
Betty

sharon fowler August 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

i will not watch the new show, it will be a big flop without “brenda” and her chocolate ho ho’s, i will miss her and the show, wish they would convince her to stay.

Claudette Ferguson August 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I am so sad to see that The Closer will be replaced with Major Crimes. Why? Major Crimes will never make it. The lead lady will kill the jobs for the other wonderful actors. I dont care how many times she was nominated for academy awards. She just doesn’t blend.

Betty September 17, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I agree with Claudette, that the lead lady is not right for the show after watching Brenda in action and her cute little accent.
Betty

A FAN August 13, 2012 at 11:57 am

Tonight is the last time I will be watching this show. It will not be the same without Kyra.
Good luck Kyra.

kathymoses August 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm

It will not be the same without brenda.wish she would stay.

Roberta August 10, 2012 at 12:22 am

I love this show, and am so sorry it’s going off the air. The new female lead for the spin off is annoying, not at ALL likeable as a character, and simply has a very wierd affect to her. I enjoy ALL of the other players, but her as a LEAD…..come on!!!

Mary Llewellyn July 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I enjoyed the Closer very much. Watched every episode. If there is a spin-off (Major Crimes) I won’t watch it even though most of the cast will remain and are a wonderful ensemble. But the woman who will continue as a leader in the cast is one of the most unlikeable characters I have ever come across. Her acting ability runs the gamut from A to B. (I know, I stole that quote). Her voice and projection of it are so mumbled, husky, flat and emotionless, she might as well stay home. Little or nothing of her lines in previous Closer episodes were comprehensible. She has zero charisma.

Anonymous July 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I agree with you 110%. I can not stand to watch her. I am really sad that the Closer is going off the air.

kathymoses August 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I injoyed the closer,brenda and men was the show hate to see her go. why is she going off?

MITZI SMITH July 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

I have enjoyed this show so much. I do wish there was some way it would not end. All the cast is great. Being from the south I love “Brenda Lee’s” drawl. Maybe an occasional movie for TV?

kathymoses August 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Is there some way she can stay on?the show want be the same. I don’t think I will be watch the show.

Kim Holmes July 16, 2012 at 9:16 am

I love The Closer, Kyra is brilliant as the character Brenda, I will certainly miss her and wish she would reconsidered. I do love the idea of the new show Major Crimes , I really love the whole cast and crew from The Closer!!! Thank you for creating the spin off!