The Closer: Reynolds Not Returning for Major Crimes Spin-Off

Corey Reynolds The CloserWhen Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson (Kyra Sedgewick) leaves The Closer, she won’t be the only one saying goodbye. Though many of Sedgewick’s castmates will be returning for the Major Crimes spin-off, Corey Reynolds isn’t one of them.

Deadline reports that Reynolds declined the offer to return as Sgt. David Gabriel and has instead signed a talent holding deal with NBC.

A native of Richmond, Reynolds was primarily known for his work in musical theatre prior to his seven seasons on The Closer. The actor performed in touring productions of Smokey Joe’s Cafe and Saturday Night Fever before originating the role of Seaweed in Hairspray on Broadway. He was nominated for a Tony Award and a Drama Desk Award for the role.

On television, he’s guested on procedurals like NCIS, CSI: Miami, Without a Trace, and Simon Baker’s pre-Mentalistshow, The Guardian.

It’s not known if Reynold’s NBC deal will preclude him for making guest appearances on the Closer spin-off. Starring Mary McDonnell, Major Crimes will be set-up in the final episodes of The Closer and has already been picked up for a 10 episode first season. It’s not yet known when TNT will begin airing them.

What do you think? Are you going to watch Major Crimes? Will you miss seeing Reynolds with the rest of the cast?

EL March 12, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I liked ‘The Closer’ with Kyra/Brenda spontaneous policing attitude. I also enjoyed watching Reynolds, I’m not feeling the Major Crimes series. Too much like The Closer without the pizzazz.

Jackie January 16, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I will definitely miss Kyra and Corey. They were the two main characters. I haven’t watched Major Crimes but I will try it on for size. I know I won’t love it as much as I love The Closer because two of my favorite people are gone. Maybe someday, somehow the producers can come up with a way to get Kyra and Corey back and start the show up again! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Cynthia December 11, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I just loved The Closer. I don’t know why Mr. Reynolds left, but I think the new show needs him. He was very good at what he does. Not bad to look at either. (I’m 64, but I’m not blind-smile). I want to see him on TV again!!!

Charlotte December 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I do watch Major Crimes but I do admit I miss Sgt. Gabriel, he was one of my favorites
on the closer

Georgia Kelley October 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I do not watch Major Crimes because Corey Reynolds is not on the show. I think that he was a major actor and I miss him. There should be more than one black actor on the show.

Vicky McMillian July 23, 2013 at 10:06 am

I will not be watching the Closer. Sedgewick and Reynolds made the show!