The Closer: Reynolds Not Returning for Major Crimes Spin-Off

Corey Reynolds The CloserWhen Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson (Kyra Sedgewick) leaves The Closer, she won’t be the only one saying goodbye. Though many of Sedgewick’s castmates will be returning for the Major Crimes spin-off, Corey Reynolds isn’t one of them.

Deadline reports that Reynolds declined the offer to return as Sgt. David Gabriel and has instead signed a talent holding deal with NBC.

A native of Richmond, Reynolds was primarily known for his work in musical theatre prior to his seven seasons on The Closer. The actor performed in touring productions of Smokey Joe’s Cafe and Saturday Night Fever before originating the role of Seaweed in Hairspray on Broadway. He was nominated for a Tony Award and a Drama Desk Award for the role.

On television, he’s guested on procedurals like NCIS, CSI: Miami, Without a Trace, and Simon Baker’s pre-Mentalistshow, The Guardian.

It’s not known if Reynold’s NBC deal will preclude him for making guest appearances on the Closer spin-off. Starring Mary McDonnell, Major Crimes will be set-up in the final episodes of The Closer and has already been picked up for a 10 episode first season. It’s not yet known when TNT will begin airing them.

What do you think? Are you going to watch Major Crimes? Will you miss seeing Reynolds with the rest of the cast?

HeelShields August 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Wonder if the decision to make Gabrielle the mole occurred because he is leaving the show? The acting in that sequence was fabulous. He and Brenda made the show (with Provenza). I am watching Major Crimes right now it is not the same – hope it measures up

LA August 13, 2012 at 9:33 am

I WILL BE WATCHING MAJOR CRIMES I LOVE THE CAST .

Virgie Williams August 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

I have been hooked on The Closer from the beginning. I was considering watching Major Crimes, but with Kira Sedwick leaving as well as Corey Reynolds, it will not be the same. Perhaps these actors will consider some guest appearances in the future, if so please announce it so that I won’t miss those episodes.

inell scott August 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I will miss The Closer. I just started watching the show three years ago, and I watched all shows that I missed. I love the show because it really is a great show. I love it when Brenda says you hoo to get someone’s attention. You all will be miss. Hopefully I will see the two of you on Major Crimes as guest stars. Please consider being guest stars on Major Crimes, and good luck with you all new adventures.

Kathy August 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I am going to miss seeing the Closer. I was thinking about watching “Major Crimes” until I found out that Gabrielle wasn’t coming back. I don’t feel that what happened makes him a “mole”…he was just confiding in someone that he thought he could trust. I am hoping that someone picks him up because I think he is a great actor and a very sincere one and “Major Crimes” won’t be the same without him or Brenda.

Jan Bouchard August 8, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I will surely miss Ms. Kyra and Mr. Corey Reynolds. The episode on 8/6/2012 was so wonderfully acted by the two cast members, I was moved to tears for it seemed like their hearts were borken. I will miss the series and I will miss these cast membes. All good things to you both. I have loved the Closer and hope to get the same feeling from Major Crimes.

Nicole J August 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I will miss Sgt Gabriel. He was my favorite character. Please don’t let him be the mole. I don’t know if I will watch major crimes without him

LOIS August 7, 2012 at 4:54 am

I love Corey Reynolds. He is the only reason I watch the Closer. I will follow him wherever he goes. I call him my pretty man.

LOIS August 7, 2012 at 4:43 am

The only reason I watch the closer is Corey Reynolds. Major Crimes will not be the same and I will not watch it.

Babs August 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I will miss Corey Reynolds…..I truly hope that he will continue on the new show Major Crimes (maybe not on every show) but often….I will truly miss him. Please bring his character back…please. I will watch the new show Major Crimes……I will miss Sgt. Gabrielle. Question what was wrong with Brenda’s Mother?

Karen B August 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I don’t miss one episode of The Closer, and Corey Reynolds is one of the biggest reasons. I am sorry that he is leaving the show. He made the show a pleasure to watch and I will follow him what ever he is on.

angel tsai August 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm

It’s too bad that corey reynolds is not coming back for the major crime, I really like him !!!! I’ll miss him alot, but I hope I will see him on nbc soon!!!!!!

Rita Maxwell August 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I hate that Sgt. will not be on the new show. I will miss him, but hope soameone has the good sense to sign him for something good. I pray he was not the mole. It just can;t be him. Image, image.

James July 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm

The only reason I watched the Closer was becasue the actor Corey Reynolds ( Sgt. Gabriel). Positive Strong Black men actors are needed on TV.

Lisa B July 24, 2012 at 11:21 am

I love this show and will miss it! I look forward to Major Crimes although it won’t be the same without Gabrielle…he is awesome. BTW I don’t think he is the mole…he is too loyal to Brenda.