The Closer: TNT Sets Season Seven Premiere

The Closer season sevenTNT has announced that The Closer is returning on Monday, July 11th, with 10 new episodes. Will that be the end of cable’s most popular TV series? Not quite.

Last July, TNT announced that The Closer had been renewed for a seventh season of 15 episodes. In December, they revealed that season seven was now considered the final season and there wouldn’t be an eighth. Series star Kyra Sedgwick apparently felt it was time to call it quits. She said, “I want to thank TNT and Warner Bros. Television, as well as the incredible fans of The Closer, for all of their unwavering support over the last seven years.”

In January, TNT began rethinking their wanting to end their most popular series. It was later decided to add six more episodes to the order. So, 10 will air this summer, another five will air over the winter, and then the final six installments will run during the summer of 2012.

The final six episodes will serve as a goodbye to Sedgwick’s Brenda Leigh Johnson. They’ll also set up a potential spin-off series that would probably include the rest of The Closer characters and a new lead. At last report, the new show will be called Major Crimes and focus on the behind-the-scenes deal-making that keeps dangerous criminals off death row.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that The Closer will be around for awhile longer or would you prefer that TNT air all 21 episodes in one grouping?

Donna June 4, 2012 at 10:29 am

There are so few entertaining “family friendly” shows that it is a shame to see this great one end. I never miss an episode!! I love all of the characters but most of all the writers seem to have the perfect recipe for crime solving, comedy and romance all tied in one.
“Thanks for the memories”

Paige May 31, 2012 at 3:19 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show and really hate to see it go. There isn’t much worth watching on TV anymore, in the way of a series but this one hits the mark. I couldn’t wait for the next show. Just awesome cast of characters and great storylines every week. Missing it already.

Ramona Cameron May 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I hate to see this great series end, the people on it are so real you can’t really care for

shelly May 9, 2012 at 9:46 am

no reason to watch tnt if the closer is cancelled. The & rizzoli & isles are my mom & my favorite shows. Many of my friends feel the same. No more tnt if it is cancelled. Yall suck for cancelling a top series!!

Barbara Olson May 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Huge, huge kudos to you, Kyra…and all the actors whom have brought such joy into our lives for these seven seasons!!!! PLEASE DON’T GO!!!!!!! Ohhhh, how can we say “thank you, thank you, thank you” enough for this amazing series and an outstanding cast. My husband and I watch EVERY show….and EVERY re-run from previous seasons!!!!! You all have accomplished THE PERFECT mix of every element-something most programs NEVER achieve, no matter how long they are on. What a fantastic mix of drama, whit, charm, tenderness, vulnerability, yet incredible toughness on the part of each character, especially Brenda Leigh!!! You all jell sooooo well as an ensemble…and each of the characters are developed perfectly by the actors!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…..DO NOT END WITH THE SUMMER OF 2012. We would miss you all more than we could explain. We feel you are part of the family…..and Kyra, what an absolutely outstanding actor you are!!! You make us FEEL what you are going through. Each role you have undertaken, you have excelled in…..and we feel especially close to you..as “The Closer”–no pun intended. Producers, please take note of all the messages you are receiving through all sorts of means, on behalf of this amazing show. Please listen to the fans…..and add yet another season (or two…..:)) so we can again delight in watching the excellence of Kyra and all the other actors in, what we think, is the best show on ANY network. Again,many thanks for allowing us to give you feedback….and if there IS a “Fan Card”, I would consider it an honor to do so!!! Good luck to everyone involved…….and “thanks for the memories.!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Janice May 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm

My husband and I just love watching this show. Each actor has had so much to add to the show being such a hit. I loved it when Kira’s daughter was on and hope they bring her back. I hope this show continues and goes on for many years!!!

Glenda Gross April 23, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I can imagine how Kyra feels. It may be time for her to spend some time at home or start a new venture. The show has been well written and acted with nice plot twists. It might be jumping the shark to start up a new show, but I would be willing to give it a try. The supporting cast are awesome in their own right!

Karla April 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Please don’t cut/leave the show. It is great and I love watching a woman with some power and sticking to her convictions, well somethimes LOL
Kyra, I have loved you on every show/movies that I have seen with you in it.

Brenda Armenini March 31, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I would echo that I want Kyra to stay but the other characters are strong and I will watch them in a new show. I like Mary McDonnell’s character and think she should return as well.Would you please allow Brenda and Fritz to have a child before “leaving”? Also ditto w/Gavin’s character–he is so great!! Everyone on the Closer– thank yew–Love and best wishes to everyone.

tonia March 26, 2012 at 7:47 pm

please dont end the closer i watch it everyday monday til saturday its the best show ever please please please dont end

Sacha Mariano March 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I love this show and I hate that they are ending it. I know that the show has been on a amazing ride and that the cast and crew are probably wanting to do something a little less physical lol. Yet they will be missed. Thanks to reruns I will get my “Closer” fix lol. Thank you for all the great fun, Sacha.

Angela March 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hi Closer Cast,

Don’t leave us – I watch each episode and DVR when I am not home to watch again. I love this show and the people who star in it.

I hope you guys stay with us longer. Thanks,

Babsmcpeak March 16, 2012 at 1:37 am

You all half to stay on you are the best show on .It makes my week an then I watch the rerun also so think hard we all love you give us a few more years PLEASE

roz March 6, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I am so sad to see this wonderful show end. I am hopeful that this will not happen. I love all the players and how well they work together. I wished that Brenda and Fritz could have had a baby,they would have been awesome parents. try to find a way to keep theshow together. thank you

Jackie March 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Hey Kyra!! Please don’t end your role in the Closer!! My husband and I have always loved you and having found you on the Closer has been awesome! You are a fantastic actor, we were so happy for you when you won the Golden Globe! While the new show Major Crimes will probably be a great show it just won’t be the same without Brenda Leigh! And think how fun it will be with Gavin, your attorney!! He cracks us up!! I just don’t know how else to beg you not to leave the show except by saying– PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don’t go!!!!!! And for the producers of the show and new show, of course we want you to keep it and if you have to do it withour Kyra, we will still be fans!!