The Deep End: ABC Rep Confirms Show’s Not Cancelled

Deep EndWe’ve received a few emails today from folks who are confused about the status of ABC’s The Deep End. It seems that several sites started reporting last week that the show had been cancelled. We reported yesterday that it hadn’t. What’s going on?

When ABC scheduled The Deep End, they only allowed for six Thursday night timeslots, from January 21st until February 25th. For whatever reason, the network didn’t schedule the seventh and last episode of the season. Perhaps, the sixth episode seemed like a more natural stopping point for the season.

The ratings have not been good for the series so, when ABC promoted that this week’s was the season finale, some sites jumped the gun and declared that it was being pulled prematurely and cancelled. (Interestingly, the same thing happened with Defying Gravity.) Whatever the reason, they were incorrect about Deep End.

An ABC representative confirmed to us today that the show has not been cancelled. Last night’s was the season finale and no decision has been made yet on a renewal. If the show does return, the extra episode will be part of season two.

While the show’s ratings have given viewers little reason to hope that the ABC series will be renewed, you never know. Many declared Dollhouse and Better Off Ted to be goners last Spring and both were miraculously picked up.

What do you think? Are you holding out hope that The Deep End will survive somehow or is it destined to be cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

379 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Terri says

Finally a show that my husband and I could agree on and loved watching together… please bring back The Deep End.

2. Miriam says

I really really enjoyed THE DEEP END. I am watching all kinds of shows that got cancelled after one season (for my BA paper) and I really didn’t understand why this show got cancelled. Funny, interesting, something to think a little and encouraging. This show rocks.

3. Melanie says

I love this show, as well as many others that have recently been cancelled PLEASE DO NOT ADD THIS TO THE CANCELLED LIST!! ITS A REALLY GOOD SHOW!

4. nayszone says

I love love love this show, and have since the first time I saw it on Hulu!! Don’t have the schedule to watch it on TV, but I REALLY HOPE IT’LL BE RENEWED and that Hulu will continue to show it.

5. rescie says

A friend recommended that I watch and I fell in love with the characters. I hope it will be on the Fall schedule and this time LET PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT IT. It’s a damn good show.

6. Dylan says

DONT CANCEL! ITS A GOOD SHOW! FIND A WAY TO ADVERTISE BETTER AND GET THE NAME OUT THERE SO MORE PEOPLE TUNE IN!! THATS ALL IT NEEDS!

7. Justin Polland says

I honestly love the show and was thinking they were just taking a season off even though the first season was REALLY short. I say I want MORE!