The Deep End: ABC Rep Confirms Show’s Not Cancelled

Deep EndWe’ve received a few emails today from folks who are confused about the status of ABC’s The Deep End. It seems that several sites started reporting last week that the show had been cancelled. We reported yesterday that it hadn’t. What’s going on?

When ABC scheduled The Deep End, they only allowed for six Thursday night timeslots, from January 21st until February 25th. For whatever reason, the network didn’t schedule the seventh and last episode of the season. Perhaps, the sixth episode seemed like a more natural stopping point for the season.

The ratings have not been good for the series so, when ABC promoted that this week’s was the season finale, some sites jumped the gun and declared that it was being pulled prematurely and cancelled. (Interestingly, the same thing happened with Defying Gravity.) Whatever the reason, they were incorrect about Deep End.

An ABC representative confirmed to us today that the show has not been cancelled. Last night’s was the season finale and no decision has been made yet on a renewal. If the show does return, the extra episode will be part of season two.

While the show’s ratings have given viewers little reason to hope that the ABC series will be renewed, you never know. Many declared Dollhouse and Better Off Ted to be goners last Spring and both were miraculously picked up.

What do you think? Are you holding out hope that The Deep End will survive somehow or is it destined to be cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

379 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. marian says

please keep the dead end, so many great shows have been cancelled and replaced by dumb realitys or 30 min sitcoms,lets keep the deep end, it has crime mystry,drama,and comedy all in oneKEEP IT!!

2. carol says

outstanding, funny, it moves and clicks, great characters, where did these people come from and why isn’t there a 2nd season? one of my favorites to date. please do not cancel

3. Megan says

I just finished the season in three days, thanks to Netflix, and I love it. I was sad when I searched for the second season but found this news instead… bring it back! I love the cast!

4. Dennis D says

I recorded the episodes, and have finally had a chance to watch the last two. I thoroughly have enjoyed the series…and hope they bring it back.

5. Carolyn says

Please renew the TV show The Deep End. I am a 69 year-old female and I lovcd the show. Didn’t miss an episode. It was as interesting as The Good Wife, which I love.

6. Tony says

I have been searching for information about The Deep End for quite some time and have just stumbled across this link. The show is excellent! Although it appears this comment may go unnoticed, due to the delay in finding out about the hopes of others to renew the contract. I’d still like to cast my vote to say, “bring it back.” It was well cast and beautifully acted.