The Defenders: Lawyers in Las Vegas; Cancel or Keep It?

The DefendersBack in the 1960’s, CBS had a successful courtroom series starring E.G. Marshall and Robert Reed. Now, CBS has premiered a very different legal TV show with the same name, The Defenders. The first one ran for four seasons. Will the new version outlast it or be quickly cancelled?

The Defenders follows a pair of lawyers operating out of Las Vegas. They’ll do just about anything for their Sin City clients, often taking on cases no one else will touch, and try to keep their sanity while doing it. The new TV show stars Jerry O’Connell, Jim Belushi, Jurnee Smollett, Tanya Fischer, and Gillian Vigman.

In its first week on the air, The Defenders dominated its timeslot with a 2.9 in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 12.2 million total viewers. That put the new show in first place in both categories and essentially doubled the performance of ABC’s new law show, The Whole Truth.

What do you think of The Defenders?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On the downside, Defenders did lose 27% of the demo audience from lead-in Criminal Minds. It also lost viewers during the hour but that wasn’t huge. In the same timeslot, last year’s CSI: NY scored a much better 4.0 and 15.06 million.

Ultimately though, The Defenders had a solid premiere (especially if you compare it to Whole Truth). If they can retain or grow the audience, CBS should be quite happy with this new drama. They certainly can use it since some of their returning dramas have been around for quite some time and have been showing audience declines.

But, what do you think? Did you tune in? Is The Defenders a show that you’d watch week after week or would you rather see it cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

207 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Marsha says

This show was worth watching and following even though it was moved to an inconvenient time slot. It was refreshing and different from the same old tired cop shows. One more CSI or Law and Order and I think I will turn off regular tv forever and just watch cable. But, The Defenders restored my faith that there are good writers and great acting still available on the regular networks. Please keep the show!

2. Diana L. says

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW…LOVE IT AND MISS IT…CAN”T FIND IT ANYWHERE SINCE BEFORE THE NCAA TOURNEY……HELP!!!!!!!

3. Wilhelma J Badger says

I love this show, please please bring it back next season. We are being overrun with crappy reality shows. Listen to the viewers for once!!

4. Scott Eldridge says

I absolutely love this show. Jim Belushi and Jerry O’Connell are hilarious. I, too, was frustrated with the irregular programming and the move to Friday night, but was able to keep up with the show thanks to Verizon On Demand and my DVR. It’s harder and harder to find any new shows worth 45-60 minutes of my time – this one fits the bill!!! Please don’t cancel it.

5. Steve Tozier says

Please don’t take my comments lightly; I have never taken the time to give an opinion like this before. My wife, teens and I became hooked on the show right off the bat. Became frustrated with the irregular scheduling for release of new episodes then changed to Fridays. Thanks to “Prime Time On Demand – CBS”, we caught every episode. They are a funny, light hearted, entertaining, and talented cast. We are looking forward to next year’s season II. I agree, there are to many CSI, NCSI, COPS and ROBBERS, REALITY SHOWS. Finally something different.

6. Trudy Jellema says

My husband and I love the show the defenders. When you switched it to Fridays we didn’t know and had to find it. This show is funny and refreshing to see instead of all these programs that are murdering people all the time.
    Please put this on for the next season we would be disappointed. Theres two many reality shows and not enough shows that the whole family can enjoy.

7. Elizabeth says

We love this show. We are in our 50′ and 60′ so we fill all ages love this show. Please keep it on. It’s funny, refreshing and great story lines. We miss this show. Put in on any night,we will watch it.!!!!!!