The Defenders: CBS TV Show Cancelled, No Season Two

The Defenders canceled season twoPete Kaczmarek and Nick Morelli consistently get themselves and their clients out of some pretty big jams. Unfortunately, there’s one that they can’t escape. Their TV series, The Defenders, has been cancelled by CBS after one season.

The Defenders follows a pair of Las Vegas lawyers who will do just about anything for their Sin City clients. They often take on cases no one else will touch and try to keep their sanity while doing it. The TV show stars Jerry O’Connell, Jim Belushi, Jurnee Smollett, Tanya Fischer, and Gillian Vigman.

The TV series got off to a decent start with a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 12.17 million viewers. In weeks two and three, those numbers started to tumble however with the demo falling 14% and then another 12% in weeks two and three. Airing on Wednesday nights, the ratings kept falling and hit a low of a 1.5 in the demo and 6.8 million.

Should The Defenders have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Because The Defenders was already registering poor numbers, CBS decided to try it on Friday nights, an evening with fewer viewers. If most fans followed and the show could sustain the Wednesday numbers, CBS would likely have been satisfied.

That didn’t happen and the remaining six installments fell even lower, hitting a 1.1 in the demo. That was a much worse performance than the timeslot’s previous occupant, already-cancelled Medium.

TV show supportWhile The Defenders was supposedly still in contention for a second season until recently, most knew it was a long shot at best.

Word is that CBS has now cancelled The Defenders. All 18 produced episodes have aired. The series finale ran on March 11th.

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season for The Defenders?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our CBS cancel/renew page.

will August 22, 2014 at 11:25 pm

The Defenders is a great show!!!
It beats the hell out of any other programs.
I really wish it would come back.
Any way to save it?

Paul August 9, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Netflix’s should bring this show back. We started watching it and wish there was more. Couldn’t stop watching it. It was great!!!

Lee July 27, 2014 at 7:52 pm

BRING! The Defenders Back! This show was great, great chemistry, great story line, a few more stories with bite and a great show turns perfect!

Meg July 16, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Caught up on Netflix and ABSOLUTELY LOVE the show!! Very confused on why it got canceled. Agreed with some of the other comments there’s a lot of garbage out there and this wasn’t one love them! Great actor’s what a shame!

James July 15, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Caught it on Netflix and can’t understand why CBS dropped it. This is so much better than most of the rubbish on that station – I guess they just didn’t market it properly. What a shame.

ras July 14, 2014 at 3:59 pm

bring the show back! CBS, it is my first time to wacht a serie about lawyers
it was an bad idea to stop it…….bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy July 9, 2014 at 11:59 am

Great show! It takes a lot to get me hooked on a lawyer show. That’s just it though. This wasn’t a typical lawyer show. Great cast plus great writing equals cancelation? Bring it back!

Nikki Rhodes June 17, 2014 at 12:31 pm

If they bring it back on …….I’ll come back to CBS then…but won’t watch the idiot programs they support,

Nikki Rhodes June 17, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Ya know……i NEVER watch CBS BUT……saw THE DEFENDERS on netflix and we LOVE IT………then we find out CBS canceled something this good? Well then, I am BACK to BLOCKING …yea, BLOCKING CBS…they are too stupid to keep good programs running.

jenny March 9, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I loved this show with fantastic performances of both stars: Belushi & O’Connell. It was funny, clever and I enjoyed every episode.
I still enjoy the defenders in the TV (the episodes are shown again each week in my country and I don’t miss any of it).
I do not understand why TV viewers in U.S. were not “taken” by this particular show.
I wish CBS continued with new episodes.
Who is not crazy about Mr. James Belushi?
I go crazy just seeing his clever face on screen. He is FANTASTIC
(sorry for my poor English. I wish I was fluent, so I could express my opinion with the correct words).

Jenny

Natasha December 5, 2013 at 6:56 pm

YOU HAVE TO BRING IT BACK! loooooove this series! Best ever, lots of laughs, interesting cases and excitement! Please you have to get season 2!!

Kaspars November 2, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Plese,give as a second season,Please

SteveG August 21, 2013 at 3:54 am

Loved The Defenders! Snappy writing, lots of eye candy, great acting and chemistry. Only thing – didn’t like using LA for Las Vegas. Bring it back!

sofokles August 7, 2013 at 4:05 pm

one of the most quallity shows. too bad they shut it down…

karen July 13, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Good clean show lets get it back!